-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never understood bashing things I can't afford or don't have a need for. Whether it's a $1 million house or $100,000 vehicle, or whatever the threshold. Haven't dropped much over $40k on a vehicle yet, but could see in the future possibly dropping $70-100k. If it fits my needs and I can afford it, I'll pay what it cost. High priced vehicles aren't a priority for me for the sake of being high priced, but if I'm looking for a certain combination of features and it cost a certain amount I'l pay it if I can afford it.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TC1
They all just sit on the lots and look stupid to me. Drive one of those $85K -$100K trucks off the lot and what's it worth? I'm not knocking any particular brand, I just think that's nuts to pay that much for an item that depreciates like all vehicles do.

well, if nobody bought new vehicles, there wouldn't be used ones for people like you to buy. so you are welcome.....bob

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by MO2AZ
Bought a 92 LC in 94 with 18k miles which in addition to the awesome off road capabilities and ride, was equipped with about any feature any reasonable person could want and some that were way beyond that.
It cost the same in the ballpark (about $24K) as a new Ford Exploder, Bronco, or Chev Blazer at the time, with mid-level equipment. I followed the ads for used ones of the same year and we could have sold it for the same money or better, for 4-5 years after we bought it.

We loved it. 8 passenger with better than good comfort, even in the 3rd row seats. Always put the kids back there. Decent storage behind the seats.
Put 125K fairly trouble free miles on it until my son was in a wreck with it in 2005....he walked away unharmed ( We thanked God for that.), but pretty much destroyed the Jeep Cherokee he tail-ended.
The heavy and strong chassis of the LC took it, but needed a complete new front wrap around...even the radiator was still good. Couldn't find used parts in the state and/or surrounding, to repair it so my insurance totaled it. I almost cried.

The engines and drive lines were supposed to get then about what we expect from the diesels today.
Only downer was the fuel economy....11 to 12 mpg when gas was super expensive.
Except for fuel economy....Still wish I had it.

I've been driving a 96 for the last 3 years. It is a tank. Maybe the perfect winter vehicle. It has ~200K on it, and leaks nearly every fluid, but its still going. I'm considering consolidating vehicles and getting rid of it, but its tempting to just rebuild the motor and keep it rolling.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cwh2

I've been driving a 96 for the last 3 years. It is a tank. Maybe the perfect winter vehicle. It has ~200K on it, and leaks nearly every fluid, but its still going. I'm considering consolidating vehicles and getting rid of it, but its tempting to just rebuild the motor and keep it rolling.

Just sold my '97 and bought a '08 200 series (for a lot less than $85k, BTW). Loved my '80 series and had it for 14 years and a lot of miles. That being said, driving the 200 is an eye opening experience. For instance, I can actually hear the radio in the 200. It gets better fuel mileage than the '80 and has 150 more HP.

Regards,

Tom
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Who builds an equivalent vehicle? Pimped out Escalades are in the same price range and pale in comparison in terms of a solid capable offroad vehicle. I don't know what the breakdown is by country but apparently Australia has been the biggest market for the Landcruiser and they certainly have a presence in the Middle East and Africa.

The thing is that a Land Cruiser in many (most?) other countries is a different animal in at least part of the line up. It is still available as a truck (ute) in Australia in the form of a Land Cruiser 70. They are actually being built and bought for work and off road use. It's not that a U.S. market version isn't capable, I'm sure it is, but it is built and sold as a luxury suv. In Australia it has a solid front axel and a pick up bed if you want and the price is more like $50-60,000.

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
While I don't own a Land Crusier, I did buy a $85,000CDN GMC Denali. Spending that much money on truck was my biggest financial mistake.....well not including my ex-wife. Never again. Next truck will be a mid-grade Tundra and it will likely last years and cost far less. *sigh

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like my pickups old & my combines new.

Low speed, high drag
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
There is a good story in the new TDR magazine on how to buy a Dodge diesel pickup for around $42K.

W/O the Cummins, you're down in the mid 30s.

Won't impress you neighbors, but under the skin, it's the same truck.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Link to the story?

Low speed, high drag
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't need to read a story, you can get a tradesman cummins 4X4 from Dave Smith motors for $42. Just go on their webpage, pick a truck you like and send them an email. Real world price will be ~$8k less than the sticker.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The difference between a basic truck and an $85,000 truck is a bunch of way overpriced add-ons. If you don't need heated seats (or even leather seats), Sirius radio, and all that other fancy stuff, you can knock the price way down. The problem is that a lot of add-ons come in packages. To get the 1 thing in a package that you want, you have to pay for a dozen things you don't want.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Among Toyotas, I have a newer Tundra, and had an older (94) LC and 4Runners(2000, 2008).

IMO if you want a really high end SUV that will run for 20 years relatively trouble free, the LC is your huckleberry. Is it worth $85K? That's up to you. Competition?

Sure you can get a high end 4Runner for half the money, and that's a nice truck that will be just as durable, but a LC it is not. Heck, even new Escalades are in the $80's, and the ones I've driven were rattle traps and no where close to the LC in quality. Pickup trucks - not the same vehicles. While I love my Tundra, it is not in the same class as the LC in features, materials, refinement, or quality.

For $85K you get arguably the best SUV on the planet that will be safe, durable, luxurious, and will hold it's value. I know a couple of LC guys, and they both buy new and keep them for 10-15 years before getting another.

There is a reason you see LC's all around the world. If you want the best transportation available where the roads are few and repair facilities scarce, it's a number one choice.

If I had a spare $85K I'd have one in my driveway!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The difference between a basic truck and an $85,000 truck is a bunch of way overpriced add-ons. If you don't need heated seats (or even leather seats).

I don't know man....I wouldn't have ordered it. But I have it on my truck and it's wonderful. Along with the heated steering wheel. Damn near don't even need the heat on in the truck.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't say heated seats are a necessity, but they sure are nice!!! Even with the radiator covered and 10-15 minutes idling my cummins wouldn't get up to operating temp on my 20 mile commute when the ambient temp was below zero. Having heated seats makes a huge difference in comfort when the engine doesn't get hot enough to keep the cab warm.

Then again for about $100 and a few hours labor you can install rostra heaters

[Linked Image]

Best money I ever spent on an automotive accessory!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have butt warmers on one vehicle, and any new vehicle acquisitions will have them from now on. Not only do they warm you up quick, they sure feel nice on a old sore back!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ok, you all like the heated seats, heated steering wheel, etc. You're not buying just a truck. You're buying a lifestyle. Add it all up and now you know why the truck costs $85k.

― George Orwell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I will say, and I had a thread on the LC, I took the plunge and I use it as my daily driver. We have three kids and need a larger SUV for family trips as we drive rather than fly.
When I drive it, it makes me smile, literally. The fit and finish is superb, the feel of the vehicle is better than my wife's Lexus RX (only two years old).

People say that no one will take a 85k vehicle off road, well take 10k off for negotiations and I already have taken it off road.

My Dad had one when I was a kid, after he died I sold it for my Mom. I sold it for $500.00 less than he paid for it new, 12 years and 95,000 miles later.

Could I have made due with a another Expedition sure, and they last about 10 years, nothing negative to say about Fords. Still have my 06 F150 as my beater truck for hunting and my son's Boy Scouts. But this consolidates an in town vehicle, family truckster and an off road capable vehicle.

Only had it 4-5 months but love driving it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having a vehicle that fits your needs it what it's about. I've never regretted buying a quality vehicle, tool, etc.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you could go down the options menu and just pick the ones you want, it would be great. As it is, you have to pay for a bunch of stuff you don't want and that runs the price way up.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Taking a course over at the Comm College this semester in the Auto Program..

we are going thru Brakes... I am doing so, as we are going to convert my son's 68 Cougar
to disc brakes...

the instructor works as a manager at the local Toyota Dealer...

he brought up day one, that brakes on a Land Cruiser go out all the time...
basically eating them....like every 12 to 15K they need new brakes..

a Prius on the other end... because of how the hybrids work, he was saying the brakes
seem to last forever on those little buzzards...but I still wouldn't drive one....
basically due to the image they give out....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1234, 1minute, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,102
Posts18,464,178
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.