Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Mike,

He knows. I picked up an Abu Garcia 5500 and 7ft ugly-stick for his birthday back in October. We were out in the yard that afternoon practicing the "technique" for reds. The kid has talent and lots of drive! All is good.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DownWind
Mike,

He knows. I picked up an Abu Garcia 5500 and 7ft ugly-stick for his birthday back in October. We were out in the yard that afternoon practicing the "technique" for reds. The kid has talent and lots of drive! All is good.

Are you fishing the Russian and Kenai, also?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Art,

Just the Kenai. We're staying at the Kenai River Lodge and it's about a 50 ft walk to the fish. Besides the halibut trip, I might do the fly-over to Wolverine Creek for reds and bear viewing. God, I feel like such a tourist.

Dave
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you have a spare day, rent a canoe and check out the Canoe Lake Trails in the Kenai National Wildlife refuge. With an ul rod and spoons or a fly rod you'll have outstanding rainbow fishing and have the lakes pretty much to yourself. I'd much rather catch rainbows on a lake in a wilderness setting than be elbows to a-holes on the Kenai.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
If you have a spare day, rent a canoe and check out the Canoe Lake Trails in the Kenai National Wildlife refuge. With an ul rod and spoons or a fly rod you'll have outstanding rainbow fishing and have the lakes pretty much to yourself. I'd much rather catch rainbows on a lake in a wilderness setting than be elbows to a-holes on the Kenai.

Rent?
Ol' Dave is welcome to borrow one of mine. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another thought for you...
Get a night or two in Seward to break up the drives to and fro.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

I have heard that is a tough place to get a room at times...

Summer times...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Summer times...

Booking early is good. Like maybe in March.
wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Man you guys make it tough! I broke down and emailed Cracker Jack for availability and price. I asked about the halibut and salmon combo trip. At least he'll get a little variety during the 12 hour trip (plus 4 hours roundtrip travel to Seward). This old man will need some sleep after this.

Awesome! You’ll both be tired but you’ll forget about that in the years to come and you two will always have this special time together, a time that will live in his heart long after you’re gone. My grandpa was a special man and he and I had always planned to go to Alaska together but the good lord called him home before we got the chance. My eyes filled with tears the first time I hit the Alcan and I thanked God for a chance to see the land of a young boys’ dreams. My grandpa was with me in spirit and I truly felt his presence the whole trip. That fueled an obsession that for me had been burning since I was old enough to read the adventures of old sourdoughs and less than 10 years later after traveling around the state I bought a place in SE Alaska. I bought it to spend time with my family and friends, to share my dream with others and to create memories that will outlive me.

I hope your trip to the greatest and most mesmerizing land God ever created is everything and more than you and he could dream. I hope you report back afterwards and share your adventures with us. Good luck!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm still contemplating the spots I could fish with a 3 hour run..(grin) I'm pretty sure Brother Bill was catching tuna with a shorter run.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Man you guys make it tough! I broke down and emailed Cracker Jack for availability and price. I asked about the halibut and salmon combo trip. At least he'll get a little variety during the 12 hour trip (plus 4 hours roundtrip travel to Seward). This old man will need some sleep after this.

Awesome! You’ll both be tired but you’ll forget about that in the years to come and you two will always have this special time together, a time that will live in his heart long after you’re gone. My grandpa was a special man and he and I had always planned to go to Alaska together but the good lord called him home before we got the chance. My eyes filled with tears the first time I hit the Alcan and I thanked God for a chance to see the land of a young boys’ dreams. My grandpa was with me in spirit and I truly felt his presence the whole trip. That fueled an obsession that for me had been burning since I was old enough to read the adventures of old sourdoughs and less than 10 years later after traveling around the state I bought a place in SE Alaska. I bought it to spend time with my family and friends, to share my dream with others and to create memories that will outlive me.

I hope your trip to the greatest and most mesmerizing land God ever created is everything and more than you and he could dream. I hope you report back afterwards and share your adventures with us. Good luck!

Aces ... spot on! My dad was my inspiration as grandpa lived about 2500 miles away. We saw grandpa maybe 6 times before he passed, but I remember fishing was involved in every visit. Dad took us fishing too many times to mention. At 65 now most of my fondest memories were those fishing trips. Dad has been gone 9 years now. I really wanted to take him to Alaska so he could experience what I had. Unfortunately his deteriorating health wouldn't allow it. So now it's up to me to pass it on. Landon is the oldest of my four grandsons. His younger brother who just turned 8 has already made me promise to take him in 2020. Oh the sacrafices we make for our children and their children. 😄

Dave
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Those boys are lucky to have a grandpa like you. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

In spades!

may that we all be the men that our children and grandchildren need us to be.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

In spades!

Amen!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

In spades!

And think we are!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Calvin
Dan is not guiding any more...

Bummer

Nah, not really. I have a couple of young kids at home that like to hang out with their dad. Their teenage years will be here soon enough, so I'd better get my quality time with them while I still can. grin

When my kids get old enough to deckhand, I will probably jump back into the chartering gig. My favorite part of the job was meeting & hanging out with people from all over the world.

DownWind, I'd love to have you join us in Deep Creek, but I already have a bunch of family coming up the week you're here (July 17-22). I don't think I'll have any extra room on the boat, or I'd happily extend the invitation. I enjoy meeting other 24hr folks, and I've taken quite a few out fishing over the years. I'm sorry it won't work this time, though.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
Originally Posted by Calvin
Dan is not guiding any more...

Bummer

Nah, not really. I have a couple of young kids at home that like to hang out with their dad. Their teenage years will be here soon enough, so I'd better get my quality time with them while I still can. grin

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good thread guys. Thanks. Dad (ole_270) and mom, one sister, my wife, our 4 and 7 year old, and her grandparents will be up there the last week of June to July 4th. We will be doing some fishing, so this thread has given us a starting point. Will be different than the bass, crappie, and Chanel cats we get around here.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
DanInAlaska,

Thanks for the consideration. I'm overwhelmed by the generosity of the Alaska crew ... you guys ROCK! Landon and Grandpa are set-up on the Cracker Jack Voyager for a combined halibut/silver salmon on the 19th out of Seward. It's a 12 hour outing on a boat that accommodates 14. There's a spacious cabin in case the I'il guy needs to catch some Z's... he will. I broke the news to him yesterday and was the proud recipient of a bear hug!

We also received an unsolicited offer for some King fishing on the Kenai from another forum member (to remain anonymous unless he allows me to divulge his handle). Again we are overwhelmed with the generosity from you guys.

At this point we are all set. I'll definitely get some stills and video of Landon's great adventure and post them.

Dave and Landon

Dave
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Summer times...

The military lodge there is great!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 2,745 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,788
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.