Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I am taking my 11 year old grandson on his first Alaska fishing trip and want to plan a day trip out of either Deep Creek or Kenai. We'll be staying in Soldotna so I don't want the longer trip to Homer or Seward. Can anyone steer me towards a kid friendly charter that will get him on some fish? Our trip is planned for the week of July 17-22. Thanks folks.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I understand the desire to not drive to Seward, BUT... the hope out of Ninilchik or Deep Creek is that you ONLY catch halibut. Skates are no fun from down deep and sand sharks are small. Out of Seward you can catch a lot of variety and still catch halibut. The launching and picking up off the beach at Deep Creek is a major eye-opener for most kids, too... but it is worth it to go to Seward first. You will also see a greater variety of wildlife most days...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not sure if Dan is chartering this summer, but he'd get my nod. I haven't seen him post on this forum in awhile, but can get contact info if you're interested.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dan is not guiding any more...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dan.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dittos on Art's comment about Seward. Late July is prime time for Silvers, and honestly they are way more fun to catch than halibut.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I've fished numerous times out of Seward (Cracker Jack and the Military chicken barge). I'm concerned about the 3 1/2 hour trip each way and pulling up an 80+ pounder from 290 feet for a 90 pound kid. The last trip I took with the wife we did a charter out of Deep Creek. We were fishing within an hour and got some decent halibut (yes, the wife's first hookup was a skate that felt like a barndoor coming up). If it were just me I'd be back at Seward and on a Cracker Jack boat. Thanks guys.

Dave
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Bummer

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by DownWind
I've fished numerous times out of Seward (Cracker Jack and the Military chicken barge). I'm concerned about the 3 1/2 hour trip each way and pulling up an 80+ pounder from 290 feet for a 90 pound kid.

Ping-Pong paddles it is then . . . wink

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm concerned about the 3 1/2 hour trip each way

Crazy that charters actually do that.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I've fished numerous times out of Seward (Cracker Jack and the Military chicken barge). I'm concerned about the 3 1/2 hour trip each way and pulling up an 80+ pounder from 290 feet for a 90 pound kid.

Ping-Pong paddles it is then . . . wink

And Cook Inlet tides and a huge sinker will be more fun?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve fished both and for launching and recovering I think deep creek is fun but for fishing and variety for a youngster I agree with Art that Seward is a better opportunity.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Man you guys make it tough! I broke down and emailed Cracker Jack for availability and price. I asked about the halibut and salmon combo trip. At least he'll get a little variety during the 12 hour trip (plus 4 hours roundtrip travel to Seward). This old man will need some sleep after this.

Dave
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Man you guys make it tough! I broke down and emailed Cracker Jack for availability and price. I asked about the halibut and salmon combo trip. At least he'll get a little variety during the 12 hour trip (plus 4 hours roundtrip travel to Seward). This old man will need some sleep after this.

Let him drive so you can drink beer! Sheesh! That's what 11-year-old grandsons are about, isn't it?

wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
I'm concerned about the 3 1/2 hour trip each way

Crazy that charters actually do that.

3 1/2 is a bit extreme, but it's 1 1/2 hour ride from port to the mouth of Resurrection Bay, and you're going to run at least another 1/2 hour to get to a chicken patch. Montague is a good hour from the mouth of the bay and can have outstanding halibut fishing.

You guys in SE don't know how good you have it.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Cracker Jack has a spot or two just off Montague. Their boats are rated to 25-30 it's, so that's pretty near 3 hours. The scenery is outstanding and barndoor inhabit the bottom there. They will probably return to Resurrecton Bay for the silvers. I'm pumped!

Art ... I will need to give him some quick driving lessons to pull off your recommendation. We'll start this weekend.😉

Dave
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
25-35 kts. Man I hate auto-correct!

Dave
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I think you will not regret it! and, it should even wear out an active 11 year-old.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seward is my favorite spot to fish out of Southcentral. A decent variety of fish and great scenery.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Dave-
Does the boy know yet or is the surprise still there?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Mike,

He knows. I picked up an Abu Garcia 5500 and 7ft ugly-stick for his birthday back in October. We were out in the yard that afternoon practicing the "technique" for reds. The kid has talent and lots of drive! All is good.

Dave
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mike,

He knows. I picked up an Abu Garcia 5500 and 7ft ugly-stick for his birthday back in October. We were out in the yard that afternoon practicing the "technique" for reds. The kid has talent and lots of drive! All is good.

Are you fishing the Russian and Kenai, also?

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Art,

Just the Kenai. We're staying at the Kenai River Lodge and it's about a 50 ft walk to the fish. Besides the halibut trip, I might do the fly-over to Wolverine Creek for reds and bear viewing. God, I feel like such a tourist.

Dave
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you have a spare day, rent a canoe and check out the Canoe Lake Trails in the Kenai National Wildlife refuge. With an ul rod and spoons or a fly rod you'll have outstanding rainbow fishing and have the lakes pretty much to yourself. I'd much rather catch rainbows on a lake in a wilderness setting than be elbows to a-holes on the Kenai.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
If you have a spare day, rent a canoe and check out the Canoe Lake Trails in the Kenai National Wildlife refuge. With an ul rod and spoons or a fly rod you'll have outstanding rainbow fishing and have the lakes pretty much to yourself. I'd much rather catch rainbows on a lake in a wilderness setting than be elbows to a-holes on the Kenai.

Rent?
Ol' Dave is welcome to borrow one of mine. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another thought for you...
Get a night or two in Seward to break up the drives to and fro.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

I have heard that is a tough place to get a room at times...

Summer times...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Summer times...

Booking early is good. Like maybe in March.
wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Awesome! You’ll both be tired but you’ll forget about that in the years to come and you two will always have this special time together, a time that will live in his heart long after you’re gone. My grandpa was a special man and he and I had always planned to go to Alaska together but the good lord called him home before we got the chance. My eyes filled with tears the first time I hit the Alcan and I thanked God for a chance to see the land of a young boys’ dreams. My grandpa was with me in spirit and I truly felt his presence the whole trip. That fueled an obsession that for me had been burning since I was old enough to read the adventures of old sourdoughs and less than 10 years later after traveling around the state I bought a place in SE Alaska. I bought it to spend time with my family and friends, to share my dream with others and to create memories that will outlive me.

I hope your trip to the greatest and most mesmerizing land God ever created is everything and more than you and he could dream. I hope you report back afterwards and share your adventures with us. Good luck!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm still contemplating the spots I could fish with a 3 hour run..(grin) I'm pretty sure Brother Bill was catching tuna with a shorter run.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Awesome! You’ll both be tired but you’ll forget about that in the years to come and you two will always have this special time together, a time that will live in his heart long after you’re gone. My grandpa was a special man and he and I had always planned to go to Alaska together but the good lord called him home before we got the chance. My eyes filled with tears the first time I hit the Alcan and I thanked God for a chance to see the land of a young boys’ dreams. My grandpa was with me in spirit and I truly felt his presence the whole trip. That fueled an obsession that for me had been burning since I was old enough to read the adventures of old sourdoughs and less than 10 years later after traveling around the state I bought a place in SE Alaska. I bought it to spend time with my family and friends, to share my dream with others and to create memories that will outlive me.

I hope your trip to the greatest and most mesmerizing land God ever created is everything and more than you and he could dream. I hope you report back afterwards and share your adventures with us. Good luck!

Aces ... spot on! My dad was my inspiration as grandpa lived about 2500 miles away. We saw grandpa maybe 6 times before he passed, but I remember fishing was involved in every visit. Dad took us fishing too many times to mention. At 65 now most of my fondest memories were those fishing trips. Dad has been gone 9 years now. I really wanted to take him to Alaska so he could experience what I had. Unfortunately his deteriorating health wouldn't allow it. So now it's up to me to pass it on. Landon is the oldest of my four grandsons. His younger brother who just turned 8 has already made me promise to take him in 2020. Oh the sacrafices we make for our children and their children. 😄

Dave
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Those boys are lucky to have a grandpa like you. 👍

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

In spades!

may that we all be the men that our children and grandchildren need us to be.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

In spades!

Amen!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

In spades!

And think we are!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Bummer

Nah, not really. I have a couple of young kids at home that like to hang out with their dad. Their teenage years will be here soon enough, so I'd better get my quality time with them while I still can. grin

When my kids get old enough to deckhand, I will probably jump back into the chartering gig. My favorite part of the job was meeting & hanging out with people from all over the world.

DownWind, I'd love to have you join us in Deep Creek, but I already have a bunch of family coming up the week you're here (July 17-22). I don't think I'll have any extra room on the boat, or I'd happily extend the invitation. I enjoy meeting other 24hr folks, and I've taken quite a few out fishing over the years. I'm sorry it won't work this time, though.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska

Bummer

Nah, not really. I have a couple of young kids at home that like to hang out with their dad. Their teenage years will be here soon enough, so I'd better get my quality time with them while I still can. grin

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good thread guys. Thanks. Dad (ole_270) and mom, one sister, my wife, our 4 and 7 year old, and her grandparents will be up there the last week of June to July 4th. We will be doing some fishing, so this thread has given us a starting point. Will be different than the bass, crappie, and Chanel cats we get around here.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
DanInAlaska,

Thanks for the consideration. I'm overwhelmed by the generosity of the Alaska crew ... you guys ROCK! Landon and Grandpa are set-up on the Cracker Jack Voyager for a combined halibut/silver salmon on the 19th out of Seward. It's a 12 hour outing on a boat that accommodates 14. There's a spacious cabin in case the I'il guy needs to catch some Z's... he will. I broke the news to him yesterday and was the proud recipient of a bear hug!

We also received an unsolicited offer for some King fishing on the Kenai from another forum member (to remain anonymous unless he allows me to divulge his handle). Again we are overwhelmed with the generosity from you guys.

At this point we are all set. I'll definitely get some stills and video of Landon's great adventure and post them.

Dave and Landon

Dave
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Summer times...

The military lodge there is great!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DanInAlaska,

We also received an unsolicited offer for some King fishing on the Kenai from another forum member (to remain anonymous unless he allows me to divulge his handle). Again we are overwhelmed with the generosity from you guys.

Dave and Landon

Yup, that should be a good time! He knows what he is doing on the river. Rick Bin and I have fished with him more than a couple times.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can have all of my halibut. Please bring me some ling cod, yellow eye and big black rock fish. I miss my boat. Woe is me............

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
OK folks, it's time for an update. We are set with the Cracker Jack Voyager on the 19th of July for a combo halibut /silver salmon trip out of Seward. We got a room Thursday night the 18th, at the Van Gilder in Seward so the day won't be quite as long. That will be the most I've ever paid for one night's lodging ... $390 ($250 a night I've already paid for the Soldotna room + $140 for the Van Gilder). I'll get over it ... just hope the wife doesn't find out.

Our host for Kenai king fishing on Saturday is Steve (358Norma_fan). He gave me permission to divulge. That was an over-the-top offer! He even fondly mentioned a few other yahoos here on the Fire that he has shared a day fishing with.

I only have one dilemma left ... airline and rental car reservations. I've been working with a travel agent out of Soldotna since last November. Every time I speak with her or email she promises to send me an itinerary. She claimed in Feb that she had us booked on a flight that was cancellable up til May 1st. I still haven't seen that itinerary. She never initiates correspondence. It's always in response to my queries. I plan to give her a call in an hour or so and either get something solid or part company. If this is her normal behavior I am amazed she is still in business.

Dave
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why fly to Soldotna? Seems a better option to drive and rental cars are probably cheaper out of anchorage, no?

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Sorry for the confusion Art. The travel agent is located in Soldotna. We are flying in and out of Anchorage.

I talked to her about 45 minutes ago and she promised to email our itinerary today. I have heard this before.🤐

Dave
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't risk your trip on a flaky travel agent. Easy enough to book your flights from the airline or one of the online outfits.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Book your own flights, I never go through a travel agent and I always get awesome deals, instant itinerary, tickets plus you get to pick your own seats.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Ak Airlines mileage tickets and companion fares are the way to go. My clients often fly up for $6.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Dave-
I didn't even know there were still travel agents!

Did you book directly w/ Van Gilder?

look here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...-The_Van_Gilder_Hotel-Seward_Alaska.html

Should be available for about half that.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Call midnight sun car rental for a vehicle. Cheapest place in town, and good cars, truck or vans.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
All is good! I got my itinerary and rental car reservation from the agent. I'm very pleased with the results. I priced hundreds of options for airfare and rental car and the cheapest I could find was $1500 for airfare and $575 for a compact car. She got us Alaska Air Companion fares for $1280 and a full size car for $275. I normally would never use a travel agent with all the online resources available, but chose to do so this time because this agent found us first class upgrades for $100 per segment the last time the wife and I flew. The extra $400 was just a bit more than the baggage fees we would have paid in coach ... four 50lb fish boxes aren't cheap, but the ride made up for any additional costs. She is looking for the upgrade this time, too. No success yet.

I just wish she would be a bit more responsive or if I'm just too anxious, tell me that you're going to work this three months out. I can understand this. False promises and comm-outs don't sit well with anxious folks. 😁

Dave
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D

Dave-
I didn't even know there were still travel agents!

Did you book directly w/ Van Gilder?

look here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...-The_Van_Gilder_Hotel-Seward_Alaska.html

Should be available for about half that.

Mike,
I booked through Expedia after seeing all the prices on Trivago.

Dave

Dave
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 38 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,286
Posts18,467,868
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.