O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Beautiful...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That piece of wood is just outstanding! The rifle isn't half bad, but who could stand to own such a thing- they didn't even clean the lint and dust out of the screw slots and the rim around the grip cap- unacceptable! wink

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Really like the stock, but engraving on rifles leaves me quite cold. This rifle is a nice artifact as a piece of art, but I would prefer that stock on a perfectly executed, accurate barreled action. YMMV

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Bet you a beer I have a better one based on that action. (The concept of "better" could hinge on how fond you are of that style and extent of engraving.) But mine unequivocally has a superior stock, both in terms of the quality of the blank and the execution.

Any takers on that bet?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I, too, prefer mine over that one.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N

Last edited by nyrifleman; 03/09/18.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Maybe I can pull off a photo session on the weekend.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I like the stock not a big fan of the engraving. I would have thought the sling swivel studs could have been done better but maybe in letting them wasn't an option at that time. I don't know what the asking price is on it but dollar for dollar I'll keep my custom 25-06. FWIW I like my 275 Rigby a lot better than this one.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love seeing the pictures of beautiful wood and great craftsmanship. Keep 'em coming.....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
A guy could accumulate a very fine collection of rifles just by collecting Grisel's DSB Mauser.

I've only ever seen five of these for sale.

Some of the finest stock makers extant contributing to some relatively lightweight rifles.

My Ottmar weigh's eight pounds scoped.

I don't need a 25 - 06 but I'm thinking hard on this one.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Wow that really goes to show you can get a ton of custom for the money if you let someone else build and take sloppy seconds... guess it’s like buying a new vs used car.

That’s an awful lot of custom rifle boner for the money!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I plan on selling mine, a light and lean 280 by Roger Green and built in 1985. I need to take photos and get it on Guns International.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's nice to see another Grisel DSB for sale let alone one with so much engraving. Don's wood to metal fit is always among the best in the world. It may not have everything I want, but sure is an eye catcher. I just knew as soon as I spent my budget for the year, another Gris would show up. Oh well. At this price it won't hurt too much.

Last edited by custombolt; 03/10/18.

Life is brief. Treat yourself. You earned it.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Very Nice!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by custombolt
Don's wood to metal fit is always among the best in the world.

Don Allen flew for Northwest Airlines for a living. He owned a company called "Don Allen" that built custom rifles and employed several very talented smiths in Northfield, MN. Don also did custom gun work as well.

The listing says Don Allen.

What could that mean?

If you buy an old Ford does that mean Henry Ford built it?

possibly...
possibly not...

I'm not dissing Don here. Just adding some context. I would assume most of the rifles that came out of the Don Allen shop in Northfield were not built by Don. Yet, they are still Don Allen rifles.

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I spent some time visiting Don Allen's shop in Northfield every once in awhile. It was a great place to go and look at sticks of walnut that I could not afford.
One very talented metalsmith that worked for Don was Mark Lee. I suspect that most anything metal that went through that shop was in some way smithed by Mr. Lee.
Another thing they did there was build some of the stock duplicators that were marketed by Don Allen.
In all of the times that I went there I think I saw Don maybe once or twice. Most of the time if you went there you had to deal with Norma, Don's wife.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Worth a re-hash, after several more looks at that Grisel at Hallowell's, I don't think the price is off the mark as much as some other offerings like their Jack Haugh 22 bolt Winchester. That one looks like a $3200 rifle to me maybe $3,500-ish.
About the engraving on the Grisel, I appreciate that the depth is the same all around. Nothing is more of a turn off than engraving that has various depths of the work. I think it is a $7,500 gun and even worth $7,995. if it {especially the grip cap} was cleaned up properly. Anyone agree?

Last edited by custombolt; 03/30/18.

Life is brief. Treat yourself. You earned it.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I think some of what your paying for are the names, Allen and Grisel. I don't think it's worth what there asking for it and my experiences with them is that they aren't much for adjusting their prices. In a full custom I'd like to see an Ebony for end tip and island sling swivel studs and a fancier checkering pattern. I posted pics of a custom 275 Rigby that the floor plate, trigger guard and grip cap were engraved a nice piece of English Walnut but no skeleton but treatment. I have about $5K in that rifle so IMHO it's a big swing to their asking price of $8700. Custom guns are hard to judge because they are custom guns for someone else not the new buyer. To me it's $7K max.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
238 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 25 invisible), 1,859 guests, and 873 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.