I usually grill in on the Weber with either gas or charcoal

Sockeye or King would be the variety.

Thanks!

GB2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Simple, simple, simple! Put a filet on a chunk of cedar. Baste with Bronco Bob's Raspberry-Chipotle sauce. Smoke until firm. Eat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a few wink

For fresh fillets, very tough to beat taking a stick of softened butter and adding 3-5 cloves of minced garlic, diced fresh dill and the juice of a lemon. Put it in the freezer to firm up then put slabs of it over the fillet and a dash of salt and pepper. Cook over some alder chips or chunks on the grill.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Make sure you grill it until the flesh just firms up, and no longer. Ideally you pull it off just prior to it being firmed up and it finishes under retained heat.

Google baked whole fish salt crust. I've been doing one with a sockeye for our annual Christmas carol party, seems to be a big hit. Really simple and makes a nice centerpiece. Last year I screwed up and over cooked it, so keep an eye on the timer not how brown the crust is.

I also poach it, bake it, use it for stir fries, tacos, lomi lomi, poke, sushi....

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Sounds awesome!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fresh king gets S&P and cooked over a hot grill. Skin on to protect the flesh. Do NOT over cook.

Uber simple and fantastic.

Frozen or other fillets may get different rubs, smoking, or sourcream/mayo type toppings.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hell yeah, Lott! That looks really good.

Thanks for the ideas gentlemen!

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cooking fillets on a grill is my go to method. Skin down and I never ever flip. Paul, butter is great, but sometime brush some sesame seed oil on it for a switch

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pete,

Agreed on skin down and don't flip on the grill. Sesame oil is magic stuff, it's generally my go to fat when baking fish.

As a coworker once said, "You can put sesame oil on dog crap and it will taste good"

My favorite use for sesame oil and salmon is for poke, and one needs to take all care regarding eating raw fish when making poke.

[Linked Image]

(image stolen off net)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fresh salmon & dill are a fabulous combination !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Winner winner Salmon dinner.

Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I've got a few wink

For fresh fillets, very tough to beat taking a stick of softened butter and adding 3-5 cloves of minced garlic, diced fresh dill and the juice of a lemon. Put it in the freezer to firm up then put slabs of it over the fillet and a dash of salt and pepper. Cook over some alder chips or chunks on the grill.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Make sure you grill it until the flesh just firms up, and no longer. Ideally you pull it off just prior to it being firmed up and it finishes under retained heat.

Google baked whole fish salt crust. I've been doing one with a sockeye for our annual Christmas carol party, seems to be a big hit. Really simple and makes a nice centerpiece. Last year I screwed up and over cooked it, so keep an eye on the timer not how brown the crust is.

I also poach it, bake it, use it for stir fries, tacos, lomi lomi, poke, sushi....

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Same here as to skin down and zero flippage. I spray the skin with veg oil to reduce stickage.

S&P and garlic on the flesh side.

+1 to taking the fish off before its fully cooked. I'd rather have rare salmon than over done.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Above is how I do probably 80% of our fillets. Another fave is skinned and pan fried in CI in butter. Same seasonings.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Salt, pepper, pan fry.

Never tried butter...always use peanut oil.

Might try some sesame oil too.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Evahthing betta with butta!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like it baked in terra cotta with tomatillos, tomatoes, cilantro, chipotle peppers, onion, lime juice, salt and served over butter noodles.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The '69 Baltimore Orioles featured a salmon dish that featured only the medallions cut from the cheeks of the salmon. It was known as Cheek O'Salmon. (I really don't expect anyone to get that.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on Alderwood it is my wood of choice whether smoking venison, beef, pork or fish. For birds I like Applewood's milder flavor, try it with Rock Cornish Hens.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 5sdad
The '69 Baltimore Orioles featured a salmon dish that featured only the medallions cut from the cheeks of the salmon. It was known as Cheek O'Salmon. (I really don't expect anyone to get that.)

WHO???

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by ironbender

WHO???

Hah I knew right away. Was a fairly prolific card collector back in the 70’s as a kid.

[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad that I could jog a memory.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
238 members (300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.