Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Welcome to the 'Fire!

Please keep us posted on your experiences in the hunting fields of Italy.

Thanks, RS

GB1

H
H
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Welcome to the 'Fire!

Please keep us posted on your experiences in the hunting fields of Italy.

Thanks, RS

Hello RipSnort smile

Thank you, and i will aim too (Y) smile

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Hugin
Hello everybody, I am sorry for the late reply to this thread, but i only just joined the forum today.

Well to make it short, my early impression is that the 308, 30-06, 7x64 brenneke (a european catridge basically equal to the .280 rem), and the 7 mm rem mag are the most common calibres in use by rifle hunters here. At least for bigger game.
Take it with a little grain of salt though, as i have only just passed my italian hunting license recently, and havnt been much in the field yet.

As for the type of game huntable here, the ones mentioned above seemed correct. However exactly which animals you can hunt where, depends a lot on the given region of italy you're in.
In Emilia-Romagna and Tuscany for example, you'll find that deer, crown deer and wild boar are huntable, whilst in the alps chamois might be a more typical legal medium sized game. In other regions it might be different still. So researching what's huntable in not just italy, but in the given region of italy you're interested in hunting in, is probably a good idea.

Lastly there can be a difference between the rules of normal state land hunting, (which is what most normal italian hunters do), and private hunting establishments. So again, get down to the specifics of where and how you'd like to hunt, and then research it from there.

Best of luck smile , if the hunt is yet to happen ,)

Hugin

Tuscany is the place for wild pigs. It seems they like grapes and do a considerable amount of damage to vineyards. We had 4 couples traveling 2 years ago and visited a vineyard that belongs to a friend of my brother.
There was a small but beautiful Inn and restaurant on the property and since the villa we rented was only a mile away we became regulars for our afternoon wine and snacks.
One afternoon we were sitting enjoying the view of the vineyard when several hogs came in and started on the grapes (late September). One of the other couples included a friend I hunt and fish with frequently and I got his attention and pretended to have a rifle and aimed at the pigs. That's all the waiter needed to see, he ran over and asked "you want shoot?" Abso-efen-lutely. he walked out to his car and brought back a pre-war mod 70 30-06 and a box of cartridges. He said an American GI brought the gun over and gave it to his father after the war, I'm guessing as some sort of returned favor.
He explained none of the local law enforcement have a problem with them killing the pigs while the grapes are hanging so long as they get their share of the meat. We went back the next day for a very well prepared meal of "cinghiale" ragu over the best home made pappardalle pasta I ever had.we shot 4 pigs that day and 6 more 2 days later.
Can't wait to go back.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks for bringing this thread back to the top. Here's a photo of the ammo case in the Roman gun shop.
[Linked Image] and the front of the store. [Linked Image]

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
M
M
THAT is one of the best hunting stories ever!

IC B2

M
M
On a side note, our German hunting class (2013) taught us that in France and Germany, one could not use cartridges that were originally military, e.g. 8x57IS, 30-06. However, I learned that sometime not too long ago, both countries made a number of specific exceptions, such as for the cartridges listed above.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My wife and I were in Italy last September. Never saw a gun shop but we spent most of a week in the Dolomites near Forno Di Zoldo where my mothers grand parents came from. Saw lots of deer sign in a few areas that must've been from red deer based on the size. Never saw any deer but one of my relatives had an alarm set-up near his garden to keep them out. He said they are large animals 150 -200 kilos.

Last edited by Bill_N; 02/26/18.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Aught6
What does one hunt in Italy. I'd go just for the good food and wine. Throw in some good hunting I might not come back.

split-tail smile

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That is an impressive range of calibers on the shelf! I love the two boxes of 44-40 in the middle! Very out of place. And, Damn! - they like some big bores over there! 338 Laupa, .500/.465 at the top, 9.3x74R, etc. The ones in the middle are quintessential European - 6.5x57R, 7x64. I would imagine these would be very popular in the combo rifles.

Last edited by cotis; 03/09/18.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

175 members (10gaugemag, 260madman, 338reddog, 5sdad, 360bull, 30 invisible), 1,267 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,464
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.