Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 60n148w
As I understand it your going to pound Nails in the Summer and run Traps in the winter,regardless of what rifle you get to shoo Bears away,it will most likely hang on pegs in your 12 by 16 Cabin. I would be more concerned with the one you’re going to carry on your line,as Art has said light is your friend. How will it stand up in and out of its carry scabbard,what are you going to do with it at night,leave it outside or take it inside.

You’re post reflect that recoil is not a major concern,I would take a few more pounds of recoil and shave a couple pounds off my rifle, especially if my Machine had a malfunction and I had to Snowshoe back to my Cabin.

Just a couple of thoughts, best to you in your endeavors.

60n148w,

Thank you for the couple of thoughts. And thank you also for sending your best.

You wrote, " As I understand it..."
Yes Sir, You understand it correctly....the part about "pounding nails...running traps..." and such.

Concerning the pegs in the 12x16 laugh As I see it, I will be hanging a 20" Barreled Winchesterbbard 97. It currently wears a ramp sight blade/bead, a Williams receiver serves for the rear sight, and being that it is tubed It lends it's self. That one will be kept inside.
For personal carry, doing chores around camp, a 5 1/2" barreled Redhawk in 44 Mag (like to aquire one once I arrive) will be carried.

Out making sets and doing checks, a 22 for dispatch would be holstered in the sled box. And before den up, I'll sling my Savage 99 TD in 300 Sav when getting off the sno go. Once back on, it'll slide into a scabbard under and behind my right leg on the ski doo. Irons sights for obvious reasons. Maybe at some point I'll want to find a Marlin that thumps a little harder to replace it with, but for now I'll dance with who brung ya. The Savage fits me, the thump of the rifle butt against my shoulder, and sight alignment happens simultaneously, and the lever trumps any of my bolts when it comes to follow up shooting. Heavies for close work. And, as Art suggested, it isn't heavy.

For exclusively hunting, what I have I'll use, another lightweight rifle, and for now that looks to be a Tikka T3x in 270 WSM. Again, that is what I have and so, yada, yada, yada. And again, that will be kept outside during the season it will get used.

These rifles and scenarios, are of course, subject to change.
A stainless model 70 or model 77 in 35 Whelen pushing 250's and dropped into a McEdge would be an example, and a friendly companion for that long walk back to the cabin.

I Really liked your post.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
BP-B6

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
358wsm,
I have to admit, my go to rifle is a M70 feather weight in 30-06, I've had one for over 50 years. If your a reloader you might look into the Woodleigh 240 gr made for the 06 velocity. rj308's got a fine looking rifle pictured. Bought a Forbes Rifle in 35 Whelen that I need to get broken out. Weighs in at about 6.5 pounds with a scope. Like someone said up above, light is nice, a little heavy on recoil when needed, but when needed you won't notice.
But, no matter what rifle and caliber you pick, the key is being able to use it confidently and reliably.
I will admit that I am a bit of a rifle nut, got one of those and 2 of those, which to choose.
John

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rj308
79S, those M70's are hard to beat, especially if you like the rifle a bit lighter. Here are a couple of pics of my M70 stainless Featherweight in 30-06. I cut the barrel to 20" and put it in a Mc Millan Hunters Edge stock. I installed a Ruger front sight because of strength and the quick change front sight inserts. I use an X/S rear Low Weaver Back-up on the rear weaver base as a back-up sight. I replaced the screw that attaches the X/S sight with a stud and thumb nut so I would not need tools if I had to put the sight on in the field. Since the pictures, I have changed to a larger rear aperture. I have found the white bead to be faster, for me, than the white stripe post front sight. As a primary sight for driven boar, I like a good red dot. I think the red dot would be good in bear situation also. with the red dot as in the picture, this rifle weighs 7 pounds, 1 .75 ounces RJ
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Gentlemen,

Unfortunately mu work day has begun, and I do not have time to give proper response to your posts this morning.

I did write Mr Shoemaker, and he was gracious enough to respond.
I will share with you what was said when I return this evening.

Wishing you all a fine day!

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 358wsm
[

When running the 30-06, how did it perform when attempting to stop a charge.???

Here is the gist of my comments

The 30-06 works as well as the shooter does !

The famous Alaskan territorial hunter Jose Sarber was forced to kill many large problem bears and although he owned a 375 H&H he claimed he had more faith in his familiar 30-06.

The world record bear was killed on Kodiak with a 30-06

The famous Kodiak guides, bill Pinnell and Morris Talifson, recommended the 30-06

I have also killed numerous big bears with my 30-06, a few that had to be tracked after clients had wounded them, and that charged me.
With 200 or 220 gr Nosler partitions or 180 or 200 gr TSX bullets the 06 penetrates as well as the 375.
If you place your bullets correctly with a 30-06 it kills big bears very well
and if you don't place your bullets well it doesn't matter if you are shooting a 375, 416 or 458, you still have a wounded bear.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Now wait a second! Are you saying it’s the indian not the arrow Phil?!? grin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Phil, thanks for your valuable input. That'll ease my tensions a bit, provided I can hit well, under extreme stress. RJ

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I would suggest you strongly consider the Marlin 1895 trapper.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Lots of good recommendations already, but I'm a big fan of the boring old 30-06. If I was in your shoes I'd take a Winchester pre-64 in 30-06 (about a $700 rifle) and a BRNO 602 in 375 H&H (about a $750 bill, I just picked two up for that shipped to me) and be perfectly happy.

Last edited by ismith; 03/09/18.
IC B3

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Originally Posted by mooshoo
In my opinion if you trust your life on a kimber your going to lose big time, get anything else!!!!

Seriously?!

WoW! I'm lucky to be alive!

Kimber Talkeetna .375 H&H

[Linked Image]

So who is the guy with the Lion ?

Sure as hell no the defrocked GS5 hiding in Fredrickburg !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kazijoy Larry Douchebag Root
So who is the guy with the Lion ?

Sure as hell no the defrocked GS5 hiding in Fredrickburg !

White guy with the lion is "me, myself, and I". Never been in civil service (GS) but you keep puffin' up your scrawny chest and crow about things you're completely clueless about! wink

I wonder what BATF and the IRS would say about your "business" of buying and selling firearms when you haven't an FFL? Might want to be careful Larry.... it's ALL out there on the various Forums where you've purchased, and then turned around and sold on Gunbroker and Gunauction just to name a couple...

You're not the only one with "files"... grin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Its your call as to what you feel comfortable with in the line of protection. If me, it would be a lever gun w/ 16"- 20" barrel shooting 45-70 (a lot of great defensive ammo to choose from); or 45-70/457 Mag lever from WWG. You may be fast with a bolt gun, but you will never outpace a lever gun at close range in a moments notice against a large bruin. Inside of 50 yards the 45-70 loaded correctly with today's excellent bullets (Barnes Buster) is a bone crushing instrument with incredible penetration. If you consider carrying a revolver, the 480 Ruger loaded with 410 HC at 1,200 fps or 475 Linebaugh with 440 HC at 1,300 fps will get the job done giving extreme penetration along with extreme recoil (it take practice to shoot them well under stress). Only one mans opinion. Good Luck.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Marlin 1895 trapper

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
662 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.