Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
You guys have been a tremendous source of help and support, if any of you have the time to answer a couple questions I'd appreciate it. I've been cranking out some blades on my coal forge (mostly files but some that started life as springs as well) and seem to be getting ok. My fervor has yet to be abated, though hand surgery for torn tendon and carpal tunnel hit the pause button for a bit. I have made a couple handles from antler, and I used 2-part epoxy to seal the spongy side and affix them to the tang (along with pins), and sprayed urethane around the edges to seal it off. Those haven't seen a ton of use yet, but seem to be ok.

My question revolves around stabilizing them. Does a guy need to stabilize them for them to be any good? I realize it'd make them more solid, and I'd expect longer lasting, and I plan on building a vacuum and getting set up to do it eventually, but would like to turn out a few more before I get around to dropping the coin on it. I'd rather get a bigger belt grinder and gas forge first. Yeah I could buy stabilized wood and and antler, but I'd rather make a handle from antler that I shot/found or for a buddy from an antler that holds some personal connection to them.

Thanks,

Jason

MAGA
BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've never fooled with stabilizing antler. I use Sambar Stag though and hidden tangs. Sambar Stag has very little pith in the center and I remove what it does have and fill the whole thing with Accraglass as my epoxy.(not the gel)

With some woods there is no need for stabilization,and with others it would greatly help. Just for instance,I would not work with unstabilized Ebony but I wouldn't bother with stabilizing Cocobolo,as long as I knew it was dry.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have not stabilized Sanbar Stag or Cocobolo, I fill any pithiness in stag with a mixture of epoxy and sanding dust from the antler. None of the knives that I've built using these materials has shown any signs of problems. I have also used exhibition grade Claro Walnut on occassion and believe the scales I bought for these projects were stabilized, probably helps with Claro Walnut's bigger pores.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use un-stablized Axis antler. Never had any complaints.
In wood I use Mesquite heart un-stablized.

Last edited by poboy; 03/04/18.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like to stabilize antler just because it looks cool. Sometimes I use natural too. Just depends on the look I'm going for.

[Linked Image]

"The unknowing leading the unwilling to do the unnecessary"

www.dtknives.com
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks guys.

MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dan308
I like to stabilize antler just because it looks cool. Sometimes I use natural too. Just depends on the look I'm going for.

[Linked Image]

God damn that is sweet!!! Love that look!!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Dan308

[Linked Image]

God damn that is sweet!!! Love that look!!!

My thought exactly

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
137 members (2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,813 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.