24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I'm lucky.....we don't have too many Varmint pests around here......a few Coon but my Cur dog keeps em in line.

I guess I'd have to say the the "Varmint" I hate the most are P-Pines due to the pain and suffering they've caused my dogs and wallet over the years.

BP-B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

coyotes........skunks......'coons.........feral cats..............

no free passes on any..........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've whittled the coons down around here, the numbers haven't yet rebounded, but springtime is around the corner, and I expect I'll have to break out the trap and the .22 Shorts before long.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Cats, trapped about a dozen in one month.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Friggin' bears. frown They were always tearing up our apple trees by climbing out the branches to break them down so they can get the apples. They did the same with pears. One of the funniest things we had happen was .. well, we had a quince "tree" (bush) and quince look a lot like apples except they have the most incredible pucker/sour taste you can imagine. A bear was going around biting quince apparently thinking they were apples, then slapping them one by one so they'd roll down the hill and across our lawn. They're also a menace to outdoor garbage cans. One morning mom came in off the back porch cussing whoever left whatever it was on the porch she'd fallen over. There was nothing on the porch. Someone .. my father or one of my sisters .. pointed out the black hairs on the front of mom's white pants legs. Yeah, she'd fallen over a bear in the dark.

I'm not fond of coons or skunks either but they take a back seat to bears.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bears are worse than hogs. We can at least kill the hogs down here.....

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Foxes, lost 10 chickens two weeks ago broad daylights.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Rick300: As of a couple years ago the Ground Squirrels have literally appeared (migrated!) into the fields that surround my house and into the edges of my lawns. We have been here 20 years and they had never been here before that!
Sadly along with the Ground Squirrels comes the Badgers - and a Badger last summer dug a big'ol den/hole in my yard.
I have been holding off shooting this Badger all winter as I want one of my travelling, non-Badger state house guest/Hunters, to bonk him this spring.
And I am expecting the flocks of non-native Grackels/Starlings to re-appear here after their winter migration.
So my "worst Varmint" list currently goes Ground Squirrel - Badger then Starlings.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Pigs, Aoudads, coons, I kill and trap all I can.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No telling what damage the anti-fur campaign has done to the game bird (really also lots of other wildlife) population. Trapping used to keep varmits in check, but no more. I give the coons to my black folk neighbors. I don't eat them and won't skin one for less than a dollar per hide.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rickt300
Any democrat.

BINGO..^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!

and sadly ya can't shoot'em...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by rickt300
Any democrat.

BINGO..^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!

and sadly ya can't shoot'em...

SSS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grizzlies

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll shoot just about any varmint that comes around when I'm properly armed and in shootable territory. However, the worst varmint I ever killed was a badger. We were bird hunting and this nasty badger was out in a field hissing and generally making a nuisance of himself. Made such a spectacle of himself, the birds wouldn't even come in to roost. He got uppity and started coming my way so I gave him a shot of birdshot and he just started coming faster, so gave in another couple shots of birdshot while jumping up on my truck bumper so he couldn't get to me. Finally dropped him at about 5 feet from me.
Tried to skin him down at a creek close by, but the smell about made me puke so he got left for some other vermin to take advantage of..... damned nasty critters those darned things....

Been charged by a couple Porcupines also, but that is another story. Also, posted a long story a long time ago about being attacked by a wounded coyote. May have to dig that out again.....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If you've ever hunted African varmints, by far the worst is the baboon.Only thing Ive seen smarter than a coyote...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

the damm skunk that was in my live trap Saturday morning.....

still there......but has a 17M2 slug in his skull........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

G
G
Live in Texas.....without a doubt, hands down its feral hogs. They do 100 of thousands of dollars worth of damage every year, dangerous on our highways, and will eat just about anything. Second to them is rats that then make rattlesnakes come. Coyotes, bobcats, coons are nothing compared to damage and cost of pigs.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Skunks, 'cause they sprayed my pointer dog right in the eyes and ruined her eyesight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
I have killed most if not all all of the aforementioned and rats top my list, I hate them. As a kid I would go with my uncle to the local dump at night and commit carnage. Landfill ruined a lot of fun. Nothing more fun than filling in as many holes as you can find and then run a plastic pipe into one hole and connect the other end to your muffler pipe, then clobber them with shovels when they come out.

Same here. Back in my tender years, a 22 with a flashlight taped on in some manner provided the best riflery practice there is once the dump turned into a moving morass of of hair and tails right after dark and into the night.

There was so many of them you felt like you were right in the middle of a Steven King novel except...he hadn’t started writing those awful tales yet. 🙂

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Maybe thats how he got his inspiration....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,591 guests, and 782 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.