Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Sorry if this is a redundant question but: Is their brass any good? Any quality issues?

I just ran across the website for High Plains Brass and I see that they have brass for the 20 Vartarg made from LC 223 brass. I have been lusting after a Vartarg but the time required to prep 223 brass is more than I want to give up and I'm too cheap to buy Lapua 221FB stuff, so if this is worthwhile I guess it's time to figger out how to swing a new barrel w/o upsetting my dear, little wife.

Thanks in advance.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Depending on the neck size in your chamber the brass may require neck turning. I tried17 Fireball and found the brass to be acceptable with neck turning required for one of my fur balls. Factory chambers may be more forgiving in the case of 17 FB chamber neck diameter.Other issues that may be of concern include a hand full of the brass per hundred may have neck splits, 20 vartarg should be better than the 17 FB in this regard.

I had a preference for annealing the neck shoulder area on the first firing of my brass to prevent neck splitting and once again after the first fire forming. Just my observations others will have another view I am sure.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bought some 17 fireball brass from them, they send extra brass as they know some of the cases will be bad. they are better than nothing. still hoping someone will make a run of new brass.

Ed

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have gotten some brass from them, and was more than happy with the quality of it....
especially since I am aware of the time it would take me to make it, the price was more than fair.

I annealed it when I got it...of course...

if I was going to have a barrel made for any of the calibers mentioned, I'd get some of the brass from
High Plains first, and then make some dummy rounds... then send those to the barrel maker, and have
them chamber the barrel to fit the dummy rounds you made.

That would eliminate any problems before they happened....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Buy High Plains Brass with confidence. It is very good. Another source for formed 20VT is Sleepinggiantbrass.com out of Aberdeen SD. I have done a comprehensive review of both of these on Saubier.com which is where you should go for the sub calibers.

If using .223 brass or Lapua or Nosler .221 brass go with a .234 or .235 neck. If using factory rem 221 brass the .232 neck works. Otherwise you will have to turn necks.

You will also need an action designed specifically to work with a cartridge this short unless you want failures to feed, function, eject.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
OK, I bit on the Sleepinggiantbrass from my home state. I can be fairly picky. Ordered Thursday arrived Sat morning. Quality seems better than I expected. Brass ordered was 17 FB and 221FB. Only did a visual thus far while sorting for year date stamp. Tossed two 221FB due to damaged heads. Otherwise no loss thus far. Neck turning will be nessisary for the 17FB and likely the same for the 221 FB. all brass showed signs of being annealed as well in the neck shoulder area.

In my case ratio was nearly exactly 2/3rd 2010 head stamp for both the 221 & 17 FB brass remainder was heavy w 2006 and what Ill call a mix of other year head stamp. Defiantly noticed I had a generous count, well say to allow for loss in fire-forming, Neck turning & possible field damage.

Early assessment on SLEEPINGGIANTBRASS is well done w two thumbs up! smile

Link - http://www.sleepinggiantbrass.com/_catalog_grid/rifle

Last edited by Hunterapp; 03/10/18.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
114 members (338reddog, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 35, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,442 guests, and 717 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.