Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Had an odd customer service experience day before yesterday, and I still don't know quite how to react.

So here is the background (and I completely own the fact that I dropped the ball on one aspect here by not calling to discuss it in a timely fashion).

I ordered a pack from one of the big players for my girlfriend for Christmas 2015 after buying one for myself earlier that summer. Customer service caught an error on my order, and immediately phoned me to let me know about it, and refunded my card the appropriate amount. Big plus in my mind, as that is something that I likely wouldn't have caught.

Pack shows up in time for Christmas. Big hit. (We are sheep hunters, so top end gear is always fun). As I'm looking at the pack, I'm thinking to myself that it looks a little smaller than I expected. However, its Christmas, and we have kids, so that stuff gets put to the side.

And I'm forgetful as f*uck. So I don't much look at it after that. She loves it, fits great, and it goes on a sheep hunt that summer (as well as everywhere else with her....)
As we are getting ready the day before, it becomes apparent that the bag is a bit small. However, so is she, so it isn't the end of the world.

It gets hunted all fall. And the next summer for sheep again. And it becomes very apparent that it is too small for 7 day plus trips. Ok, no problem. Still a phenomenal pack, we just need to get it upsized. Additional to this, on the last trip I managed to end up with a hole in the snow collar on my bag.

So the other day, we figure we have a month or so until bears are up and running here, so we should figure out this season's gear. And we start eyeballing the website......

Low and behold, the pack that we ended up with for her, is (now) two bags smaller than the one that I had ordered. And paid for. Again, the pack that I ordered, and paid for, is not the one that was sent.......(Still not sure how I managed to not catch that) Like I said, that one is all on me, as I should have caught that as soon as she opened the box, but she loved it, and it was tough to convince her it wasn't perfect anyway. My f*uckup. I know it, I own that.

Now here is the odd part. Shoot off an email asking about repairing my pack, and options there. Also mention the original screw up, and specifically mention I'm not bitching, I just wanted to give a heads up on that aspect. And ask for advice on what the best pack for her would be.

The guy I was dealing with is super courteous and polite the entire time. Great guy to deal with. Asked me for some pics so that he could confirm which pack they had actually sent. No problem. He asked for some pics to see the hole in mine. No problem.

Now here is the part that makes me wonder if I am just over reacting, or wtf...
Gave me a recommendation on a better pack size-wise with a couple of their wares cited for my 5'3" 125lb gf. Perfect. That's what I asked for.
Gave me a quote of $80 for them to fix it........ Ok...Seems pretty steep to me. Or I can use some duct tape, as ripstop is pretty tough. Ok, that is how I had it patched anyway.

And here is the part that rubs me wrong.... My other option, is to send it back to them, and he'll give me 10% off buying a new pack.

By the time these things land in Canuckistan with shipping and exchange, they are better than $1000. Even with 3 seasons of use on my pack, I'm still going to get the better part of that back if I sell it.

I think I'd be less pissed if I had at least gotten a "hey, sorry we sent you the wrong bag. And sorry that we f*ucked you out of some money there."
The price difference between the packs is on me, and I know that, as I didn't look at the gear when it arrived and she definitely got her money's worth out of the pack (well, MY money's worth.....lol) but I guess I'm wondering, am I out of line to think that at least on that aspect a "sorry" wouldn't be too much to give?

I guess I just don't know what would be reasonable to expect when it comes to repairs or customer service.

Any thoughts on this? Chalk it up to experience bought and paid for?

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd expect a refund of the price difference between what you paid for and what you received, plus an additional 20% off of the correct bag size after you return the wrong one, as a "sorry" for their screw-up.

The screw up is on them. It's not your job to do QC on their shipping/orders department. They should own it. Just because it took you a while to find the mistake, doesn't mean the mistake wasn't theirs the entire time.

If you have reno's done on your kitchen, and 6 months later you realize that the contractor used a cheap veneered cabinet rather than the solid cherry he billed you for, are you going to just let him off the hook because it took you a while to realize the problem, or are you going to ask him to refund the difference or come and replace the cheap stuff with the cherry that you paid for?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
First off.... you're still alive?

Second, I'd almost +1 Jordan's post. I'd expect to be made whole for the fkup. If all the chips finally fell and that were not the case, I'd be letting people know just exactly who they were dealing with. While I think the suggestion of 20% off a replacement is outstanding customer service, and invaluable PR, it is certainly not required.

I'd like to think that the person who told you about the 10% off just failed to communicate that the'd comp you the difference between what you ordered and what you got on the previous order.

Post-sale service is not the place to save money....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cwh2

Second, I'd almost +1 Jordan's post. I'd expect to be made whole for the fkup. If all the chips finally fell and that were not the case, I'd be letting people know just exactly who they were dealing with. While I think the suggestion of 20% off a replacement is outstanding customer service, and invaluable PR, it is certainly not required.

I'd like to think that the person who told you about the 10% off just failed to communicate that the'd comp you the difference between what you ordered and what you got on the previous order.

Did you notice that they said he'd have to send back the original bag that was the wrong size in order to get the 10% off? In my mind, that'd only shake out if they credited him back the entire purchase price he paid in the first place, and then he can make a new purchase of the bag of his choice with 10% off. That'd be okay IMO.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
No, he wrote way too much for me to read.

I was figuring that something got lost in the english/french/english translation.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't expect anything from the company after 3 years of use. If you took it out on a single trip after you bought it and then discovered the problem, I would expect an exchange. But 3 years of hard use...no way.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
Had an odd customer service experience day before yesterday, and I still don't know quite how to react.

So here is the background (and I completely own the fact that I dropped the ball on one aspect here by not calling to discuss it in a timely fashion).

I ordered a pack from one of the big players for my girlfriend for Christmas 2015 after buying one for myself earlier that summer. Customer service caught an error on my order, and immediately phoned me to let me know about it, and refunded my card the appropriate amount. Big plus in my mind, as that is something that I likely wouldn't have caught.

Pack shows up in time for Christmas. Big hit. (We are sheep hunters, so top end gear is always fun). As I'm looking at the pack, I'm thinking to myself that it looks a little smaller than I expected. However, its Christmas, and we have kids, so that stuff gets put to the side.

And I'm forgetful as f*uck. So I don't much look at it after that. She loves it, fits great, and it goes on a sheep hunt that summer (as well as everywhere else with her....)
As we are getting ready the day before, it becomes apparent that the bag is a bit small. However, so is she, so it isn't the end of the world.

It gets hunted all fall. And the next summer for sheep again. And it becomes very apparent that it is too small for 7 day plus trips. Ok, no problem. Still a phenomenal pack, we just need to get it upsized. Additional to this, on the last trip I managed to end up with a hole in the snow collar on my bag.

So the other day, we figure we have a month or so until bears are up and running here, so we should figure out this season's gear. And we start eyeballing the website......

Low and behold, the pack that we ended up with for her, is (now) two bags smaller than the one that I had ordered. And paid for. Again, the pack that I ordered, and paid for, is not the one that was sent.......(Still not sure how I managed to not catch that) Like I said, that one is all on me, as I should have caught that as soon as she opened the box, but she loved it, and it was tough to convince her it wasn't perfect anyway. My f*uckup. I know it, I own that.

Now here is the odd part. Shoot off an email asking about repairing my pack, and options there. Also mention the original screw up, and specifically mention I'm not bitching, I just wanted to give a heads up on that aspect. And ask for advice on what the best pack for her would be.

The guy I was dealing with is super courteous and polite the entire time. Great guy to deal with. Asked me for some pics so that he could confirm which pack they had actually sent. No problem. He asked for some pics to see the hole in mine. No problem.

Now here is the part that makes me wonder if I am just over reacting, or wtf...
Gave me a recommendation on a better pack size-wise with a couple of their wares cited for my 5'3" 125lb gf. Perfect. That's what I asked for.
Gave me a quote of $80 for them to fix it........ Ok...Seems pretty steep to me. Or I can use some duct tape, as ripstop is pretty tough. Ok, that is how I had it patched anyway.

And here is the part that rubs me wrong.... My other option, is to send it back to them, and he'll give me 10% off buying a new pack.

By the time these things land in Canuckistan with shipping and exchange, they are better than $1000. Even with 3 seasons of use on my pack, I'm still going to get the better part of that back if I sell it.

I think I'd be less pissed if I had at least gotten a "hey, sorry we sent you the wrong bag. And sorry that we f*ucked you out of some money there."
The price difference between the packs is on me, and I know that, as I didn't look at the gear when it arrived and she definitely got her money's worth out of the pack (well, MY money's worth.....lol) but I guess I'm wondering, am I out of line to think that at least on that aspect a "sorry" wouldn't be too much to give?

I guess I just don't know what would be reasonable to expect when it comes to repairs or customer service.

Any thoughts on this? Chalk it up to experience bought and paid for?

Sorry fellow, if I use the item instead of returning it in as new condition then it is on me.

p.s. if it comes apart with-in the guarantee period then it needs to be replaced with a new unit...not repaired.

Last edited by JSTUART; 03/10/18.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by cwh2

Laughin’.... yeah. My bad sorry. Just been pretty quiet lately.

I think I’d have been happy with an acknowledgement of the error. That is what is bothering me.

But the fact of offering me to send back a pack (which incidentally looks showroom new after a wash the other day) which cost me $1000 Canukistanian pesos, letting them keep that bag, and then giving me 10% of the purchase of a new one.... So I pay TWICE to get one pack?!?!?

Although, when I read what I wrote there I had to go back and re read the email exchange because it didn’t look right. Only thing I can surmise is he f*ucked up on what he meant there, as that simply can’t be right....

I’m going to have to call CS and talk with someone on Monday.

Although I AM a little surprised at how high the quote was to fix it. But then again, my only CS experience has been with Leupold and Hanwag, and those two companies don’t take chances with their reputations.

Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Sorry fellow, if I use the item instead of returning it in as new condition then it is on me.

This is the bottom line.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr

But the fact of offering me to send back a pack (which incidentally looks showroom new after a wash the other day) which cost me $1000 Canukistanian pesos, letting them keep that bag, and then giving me 10% of the purchase of a new one.... So I pay TWICE to get one pack?!?!?

Although, when I read what I wrote there I had to go back and re read the email exchange because it didn’t look right. Only thing I can surmise is he f*ucked up on what he meant there, as that simply can’t be right....

I suspect you're right concerning the mis-communication. Sending your current pack back to them, then only getting 10% off a new pack just isn't clicking in with me. I'll bet that's not what the CS representative meant. At least I'd hope that's not what he meant. I have a hunch I know what company you're dealing with, and their CS has been nothing less than stellar with me and other folks.

As far as the 3 years of use on a pack that wasn't the right one to begin with.....I can see both sides of that, but ultimately agree that it is on you (and it's great you realize that). Additionally, how does the CS representative know you're not lying about the mess up? For all he knows you may be full of it. You may have a receipt with a product description, but there's no way for him to know that the pack you're saying wasn't the right one was actually bought second hand from a third party, and that the real pack associated with that particular receipt is in your closet right now---and that you really just want two of those packs. (I am not sure if my rambling is making sense or notlaugh).

I think you're doing fine with the acknowledgment that you should have checked the shipment when it first came, but the company should also acknowledge the possibility that it was their fault.

Sounds like a bum deal with no straight answers.

Last edited by T_Inman; 03/10/18. Reason: clarify

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Oh I totally understand what you are saying Tin.

To clarify, the wrong pack has ‘16 season, and ‘17 season on it. And is showing zero wear. (Which I love). But my intention wasn’t ever to return itand try and f*uck them out of a new one. For what I spend on sheep hunting every year, and buy for gear, that price difference doesn’t even rate a blink. I just wanted a recommendation on what to go with next, with the plan of selling that one. I just wanted to point out the booboo. And I was kind of hoping for an “oops our bad, sorry”. In my initial email exchange I indicated that Inwas going to sell her(incorrect) pack, and just wanted an idea of what would be a better fit. Who better to ask than the people that make them? And in subsequent emails, the CS rep asked for a couple of pics “so I can verify which pack we sent” but nothing after that, other than a recommendation based on pics of her wearing it on what would be a good size match.

I have no problem paying for stuff that is worth the money. And this stuff is. Don’t get me wrong. And like I said, I f*ucked up, and don’t expect anything in regards to exchange on her bag. She definitely got the use out of it, I just wanted to get the best possible match, and what I’d originally ordered for her was likely too big.

It just rubbed me wrong giving me the option to send MY pack back (which is correct and what I wanted and paid for) but it has a tear in it. And that i wanted fixed. And if I give that one back, then I get 10% off buying yet another pack.

But like I said, now that i think about it, that HAD to be a miscommunication. Probably on me for not clarifying it better, but emails were still really positive and I’m pretty big on not hitting send on stuff now without being clear on what’s being said. So I opted to sleep on it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In my opinion when someone says that he is looking for an apologize most of the time he is looking for en economic compensation.

But, in any case, If the back pack company were mine I would have apologized, fixed your torn pack for free, refunded the price you paid in excess for the smaller pack, and offer the correct one with a substantial discount.

I don't think any company would go broke if they reacted like this... I think such an attitude towards customers, altogether with a good product is the only way to go if, as a company, you pretend to have a future.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Post up some pics of the girl friend and we can go from there if you need a new pack or not.......

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This is a tough one. As most of you know I go to extremes to take care of our customers. Had it been me, I would have replaced both packs without blinking an eye. There would have also been conditions in the return email stating this was a one time deal (Unless there was something wrong with the replacements from the manufacturer).

There is a fine line between excellent customer service and letting a customer take advantage of your generosity.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I'd not expect any company to go to that extreme, SAS.

I appreciate ALL of the feedback here guys. I will see if I can get someone on the phone tomorrow and see where it goes from there.

REGARDLESS, I have zero complaints with the equipment in any way shape or form. This stuff has been top shelf in regard to performance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by K1500
I wouldn't expect anything from the company after 3 years of use. If you took it out on a single trip after you bought it and then discovered the problem, I would expect an exchange. But 3 years of hard use...no way.

Bingo...how some of these companies stay in business with sh t like this going on blows my mind.

They made an error initially and it should have been caught and handled, even a year in they probably would have helped...but three years in? LMFAO....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not a shining example of customer service.

I had a small torn seem in an Eberlestock X2 that has been a great little daypack for several years. The grandson was going to carry it on his first elk hunt and I thought it would be nice to get it repaired ahead of the hunt. The website shows lots of caveats so they have had questionable returns but I sent a photo as requested- their initial email response turned me off - I sent back “forget it” my wife will sew it since you won’t back you products - they apologized repaired it and turned it around quickly at no charge. Not perfect but very good after my follow up email.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by broomd
Originally Posted by K1500

Bingo...how some of these companies stay in business with sh t like this going on blows my mind.

They made an error initially and it should have been caught and handled, even a year in they probably would have helped...but three years in? LMFAO....

Not exactly 3 years of hard use, to be fair, December 2015 to January 2018 doesn't add up to 3 years no matter what math you use. Two sheep trips and some elk and deer hunting. Pack literally passes for brand new out of the box from the factory.
And I wasn't looking for an exchange, more of a "hey, sorry you bought and paid for a pack that cost X dollars, but we sent you a pack that cost Y dollars. Sorry about shorting you" would have been fine with me.

After the time that has elapsed, I wouldn't expect any company to exchange out a piece of gear like that. I did expect some sort of acknowledgment of the error, even if it was simply a "sorry about the mix up" in any of the multiple phone calls and emails to the company. That wouldn't have cost them a single dime, and would have made it right with me.

I guess it's just me that would expect a verbal apology for a financial error that goes against the customer.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I guess if it were me I would just fix the one your gf has been using for almost 3 years and go on about my business. I would not send it back to them for repair, just have it done locally if possible. If not possible then send it to them and pay the $80.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by JSTUART

This is the bottom line.

Tom

I tend to use more than enough gun

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
839 members (12308300, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 82 invisible), 3,242 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,195
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.