Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I have a R700 (.30-06) laying around that nobody seems to want to buy...

I can put a .224 barrel on it (1:7 or 1:6) for under $200.

Should be able to reach 4,000+ FPS.

Barrel should last 500+ rounds maybe... then rebore to another caliber...

Anyone else ever done this... would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks

Case capacity is HUGE!!!

I happen to be swimming in heavy .224s (Nosler 80s) and .270 brass

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i would build a 22-284, I have built a couple of 6 mm-284`s both shoot excellent and shoot real fast. good luck

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check out the 22/06 Easling. Believe P.O Ackley played with it some. It was made by necking down a 30/06 to 22 Cal.and shortening the neck .030. The shoulder angle is a little steeper than the 06 shoulder only known load was a 89 gr. bullet using 59 gr. of H870 powder, and a velocity of 3455 Fs.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope, but Ross Seyfried has written about his fun with a .22/.284. Can't recall if it was 1-8" or 1-7", but it was before that stuff got trendy.
IIRC, he was shooting 80gr bullets, pretty tame by today's standards. Looked like fun for someone with a place to stretch it out.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You might try the 22-378 Howell, I think Steelhead has one.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure people have, but WHY?
With so many other options out there, why something that will burn itself out so fast? I've thought a little about maybe a fast twist 22-250 AI in an 8 twist, but even that's a bit much.
That said, whatever you think will be fun for you is the entire point of this game. I admit I'd be a bit curious whatever results you get.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They make new barrels five days a week.

Like you said, it's all fun and games. How many guys here have elephant guns that will never go to Africa? (Or forty-eleven deer rifles?🤔)

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There are descriptions of .22-06 cartridges in the old classics "Practical Dope on the .22", Ness, and ".22 Caliber Varmint Rifles", Landis. Both books printed in the 1940's, so there remains nothing new under the sun. None of them used full-length '06 cases, and 4000fps was bandied about.

Note that we have a wondrous selection of powders and bullets compared to what those guys had so modern efforts should eclipse those of 70 years ago. Even so, would you not be somewhat handicapped in trying to achieve 4000fps with super heavy .224 bullets? Easily do-able with 50, or 55's maybe, but 70-80's? (I don't know which is why I'm asking.) To that end, an old fashioned 1-12 or 1-14" twist would be fine if light-to-midweight bullets are used. A moot point I suppose, as the barrel would probably be toast by the time an accurate load is fine tuned.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I remember Larry Root bragging about his.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Would a 22-06 approximate the 22 Newton?

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by montanabadger

All right then...

Guess I'll sell the pills and try a 6.5-06 instead... just because.

Thanks for the opinions

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't wuss out on us now; we were just getting interested!

What fresh Hell is this?
O
O

Yup it's worth bragging about. With a 70 gr TSX 3700 is no issue with 3/4 moa groups to 400 yards. Shoots even better w/Sierra 80 gr HPBTM.

Kills very well but, as with most TSX kills shots are pass throughs.

R.F. Sedgley Deluxes. the 22-06 is the bottom one the upper a 6.5x55.

Now QUICK, rush to ban this ID. Doesn't matter, I'm going away until after the elections.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by olympicgold; 03/12/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not near long enough. Best idea is just go away and never come back. 😀

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by olympicgold Larry Douchebag Root

Yup it's worth bragging about. blah blah blah...

Perhaps we'll run into each other in Fredericksburg this summer Larry!
Although, not a wise idea to brag to others your plan to goad me into a confrontation hoping I'll physically assault you.
Not a smart move to goad people into a physical altercation, especially in Texas!

Stupidity is seemingly in vogue and it's always nice to laud laurels in accordance.
I see you've the innate capacity to run for gold.... (might be a pun there) grin

While in Fredericksburg, be sure and pay your so called "cyber forensic PI" a visit and punch him in the nose and demand a refund! lol

Be sure and cinch your padded helmet extra tight when laying down for your afternoon nap. Wouldn't want you to hurt yourself while dreaming your ludicrous, delusional and bizarre dreams of "confrontation"! crazy

O
O
Gee FO, sounds like a bit of a panic setting in ?

I said nothing of the kind. No one needs to goad you into anything. You are the resident hater in chief who just cannot stand to have anyone here you cannot cow/control. If you are represenative of "Texas tough guys", no one is trembling.

Why would I ever ask for a refund ? The information was 100% correct, as you well know from your wilted garden. (chuckle).

Dust off your "Mogambo" safari suit (although doubt it will encircle your girth anymore) and pose for your fans.

As for stupidity, I'd opine that someone who spends 10 years harassing other people while hiding behind a screen name is a poster boy for stupidity.

Not everyone is as forebearing as am I as will become obvious as matters in California will prove.

See you at 1435 E Main St. this summer, I'll be wearing that dress you like so much -------- chuckle !

BTW, you should quit smoking !

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by olympicgold Larry Douchebag Root
blah blah blah

Howling with laughter.

I'm not the one that calls the Sheriff Dept., Police, FBI, SS, and secret squirrel brigade. That's your MO sugar tits.
And "hiding"... I've been here in plain site for years under ONE screen name. You? Well over a hundred screen names (and counting!) to attempt to circumvent your banishment. When called out, you pretend to be someone else. Your wife... your dufus friend... your dog... all to no avail. You can't hide. You're easy to spot.

The things you "know" and so adamantly and feverishly type out with your lady fingers is humorous. Wilted gardens, walls, smoking, occupation, income, etc.... all wrong! Better demand a refund Lawrence. You got ripped off!

See you soon! lol

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Larry, we don't hate, we just enjoy making fun of you and your countless idiotic attempts to hide your persona. Kinda like trying to hide a skunk in a French whorehouse (not that I've ever been in one, mind you)...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
O
O
"Under one screen name" BUT too frightened to ever reveal who you really are.

Well, William those who wanted/needed to know ---- DO ! LMAO.

Easy to hide in plain sight when running the site has been ceeded to you.

See you sent out the word to the other nobodies like the USN taxi driver.

Fun to see you past tense wannabes squirm in nowhere TX and God's waiting room in FL.

Whose going to Safari Club for you this year ?

Wonder where this azzhat is hiding now with his Moro wife ?

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
How about 6mm-06? That's what I did with my SAKO AIII. 3350 fps is plenty fast enough.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,855 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,346
Posts18,468,775
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.