Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by driggy
See you live in WA. DEF might be an issue if you go up into the mountains. It gets colder up there and around here and the Dakotas, DEF freezing is a big issue with the newer diesel trucks during the winter months. If you live in an area where the temps get much below freezing for any length of time, it may not start or it may go into limp mode. I'd check on some forums to see if the Chevy/GMC is one of the new ones with the DEF tank heater not being able to properly heat up the fluid in the winter months.

I live at 7650 ft elevation wher it isn't uncommon fro temps go to zero or lower.I don't know if the smaller diesels are the same,but mu 2019 Chevy Duramx , 10 cyl has no trouble with the DEF in regards to freezing,starting and running. The Def Tank has heater in it,but only when the truck is running

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Most of the def tanks have heaters. The rules say the def has to flow within a specified time, not at startup.

I’ve never had an issue even in sub zero temps.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No dog in this fight, but I was killing time at the public library yesterday and picked up a month or two old Consumer Reports magazine which rated the best and worst vehicles for long term reliability. The Canyon / Colorado scored at the bottom of the list for the smaller truck series.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by driggy
See you live in WA. DEF might be an issue if you go up into the mountains. It gets colder up there and around here and the Dakotas, DEF freezing is a big issue with the newer diesel trucks during the winter months. If you live in an area where the temps get much below freezing for any length of time, it may not start or it may go into limp mode. I'd check on some forums to see if the Chevy/GMC is one of the new ones with the DEF tank heater not being able to properly heat up the fluid in the winter months.

I live at 7650 ft elevation wher it isn't uncommon fro temps go to zero or lower.I don't know if the smaller diesels are the same,but mu 2019 Chevy Duramx , 10 cyl has no trouble with the DEF in regards to freezing,starting and running. The Def Tank has heater in it,but only when the truck is running

What? Did you mean 8 Cylinder, 10 Speed transmission?

NEVER GIVE UP
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by BIGR
[quote=saddlesoreon fro temps go to zero or lower.I don't know if the smaller diesels are the same,but mu 2019 Chevy Duramx , 10 cyl has no trouble with the DEF in regards to freezing,starting and running. The Def Tank has heater in it,but only when the truck is running

What? Did you mean 8 Cylinder, 10 Speed transmission?[/quote]

Yep. 8 cyl. Damn old fingers

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That's alright saddlesore, smile many time my older eyes and my typing fails me. Also when I use my cell phone it changes the dang words on me.

Ole yea, how do you like your 2019 Chevy with the Duramax? I have a 2006, 2500HD, 4x4, Duramax with about 90,000 miles on it, it has been a hoss. Your truck has way more power than my 2006, I can imagine that it pulls like a freight train.

Last edited by BIGR; 03/06/20.

NEVER GIVE UP
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That's alright saddlesore, smile many time my older eyes and my typing fails me. Also when I use my cell phone it changes the dang words on me.

Ole yea, how do you like your 2019 Chevy with the Duramax? I have a 2006, 2500HD, 4x4, Duramax with about 90,000 miles on it, it has been a hoss. Your truck has way more power than my 2006, I can imagine that it pulls like a freight train.

So far I love it. I only have 7000 miles on it. During hunting season, truck, camper, trailer w/mules &gears runs about 16,500 #'s. It climbs Loveland, Vail, Monarch passes without even grunting. I hauled some gravel with a14 ft dump trailer and scales showed 19,300. It's gross specs is 23,000. My old 98 Dodge Cummins was 17,000. I get 21mpg hwy,about 18 in town and anywhere from 12.5-13 towing the full load.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore

So far I love it. I only have 7000 miles on it. During hunting season, truck, camper, trailer w/mules &gears runs about 16,500 #'s. It climbs Loveland, Vail, Monarch passes without even grunting. I hauled some gravel with a14 ft dump trailer and scales showed 19,300. It's gross specs is 23,000. My old 98 Dodge Cummins was 17,000. I get 21mpg hwy,about 18 in town and anywhere from 12.5-13 towing the full load.

I am not surprised one bit about your truck performance, the engine and transmission, drivetrain and gearing is one key to success, I believe. Dodge, Ford and the others can brag about horsepower and torque all they want, if you they can't efficiently put the power to the ground then their just loosing out. The most power does not mean its going to pull a steep grade any better, you know that of course I don't have to tell you, your an experienced pick up driver.

The best fuel mileage I ever got with my 2006, 2500HD, Crew cab, 4x4, Duramax/Allison (6 Speed) was 22.8 MPG on flat ground, never been able to duplicate that again, got close to 21 MPG. Driving the interstate on flat ground at about 70 MPH I get some where around 19.8 MPG. One good thing about my 2006 Chevy is, it does not have a particle filter or DEF, I like that part of it. My truck has a camper shell on it and usually I have about 200 pounds of tools in the back. My hunting camper is 21 foot and weighs about 4000 pounds or so, going to deer camp I usually get 13 to 14 MPG, according to the wind. Coming back from deer camp, more up hill grades it is usually from 12 to 13 MPG. 4000 pounds is nothing as far as towing, I assume its the tall height of the camper and wind resistance that's killing my towing mileage. Here around the house in the mountains, I can't get much better than 14.5 MPG, empty.

I would love to have a new full sized truck, not sure if I will go back to a diesel, no more towing than I am doing now. I tow a trailer and farm tractor now and then but mainly the 21 foot camper and that's not often.

Enjoy your truck saddlesore and keep us posted on its performance.

NEVER GIVE UP
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

313 members (1lesfox, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 33 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,341
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.