Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Banding bull calves, pouring, and implanting bull calves, and pouring heifers.[Linked Image]

One of the wife's cats supervised the job.[Linked Image][Linked Image]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard, looks like a vet pickup...

We had a couple bull calves that only had one nut drop when I went to band them as calves so I didn't band them. Used the 'big' bander on them here about a month ago.

Pain in the ass... But it works.

Nuts are just now falling off.

You band all your bull calves late?

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Yes Sam, vet from town. Pricy, but they know what they are doing. We band because a few years back, we had 3 claves bleed to death from castrating with a knife.

We calve later than you do Sam, but yes we banded a bit later than we'd liked. A lot of stress, and sick calves until just a few weeks ago.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard, we band as soon as they hit the ground. If I can get a rope on them that is.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Richard, looks like a vet pickup...

We had a couple bull calves that only had one nut drop when I went to band them as calves so I didn't band them. Used the 'big' bander on them here about a month ago.

Pain in the ass... But it works.

Nuts are just now falling off.

You band all your bull calves late?

We banded when I was a kid, but stopped after a couple too many got through—one with literally had half a nut. More usually a distended testicle was to blame.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You gotta have two full nuts or it's a no go.

Never any trouble if you're doing it yourself.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I band, and the sooner the better. Nothing any harder on an old man than trying to wrestle a week old calf, that's bawling his head off, and mama is trying to knock you off him.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You should try a Hollywood Bander. Unless there over 800 pounds, you'll take the big bander the the pawnshop.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...Klp5bJDjs2pccaVJBXIvp5qCb6RoCLbYQAvD_BwE

That little bastard made our lives a lot easier back when we was buying a lot of cutting bulls.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Knife thank you very much. When I cut the cord/blood supply, I have tension on it and run my knife up and down the length of it so it essentially is "cut" with many little scrapes and tears. Seals up and bleeds a lot less that way. If you are really concerned, you can get a crimper like a burdizo to crimp the cord and cut just below the crimp.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
See you have an old Thorson, I still work in a few of those. Can't say as I care for them.

Montana MOFO
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I like to say the band installer has to be able to count to "two".

I just was reminded last week how much fun it is when the band misses one or both nuts- young man tried his hand at banding his babies and I had to fix nine mistakes now that they're 500+ lbs.

i've knifed and pulled the cords on countless calves of all sizes over the last 37 years. I've started using an XL bander (pre-cut rings) the last year or so, and most of the time can do it quicker than the Newberry knife. Often don't even need to tail the calf. And it's easier on my shoulders. Callicrate bander on the ones that are too big to get an XL on.

But a lot still get knifed, 30-40 days for the bag to drop after banding is too long for some guys.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 72 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.