Campfire Tracker
S
Where are you Slosaguy?

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
721 in 280ai. It’s the absolute best o6 based chamber period and no properly shot elk will ever escape.

[Linked Image]

It wears a NXS 3-15 now and is a favorite.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by pete53
as what has been posted ,your barrel need`s cleaning. buy some sweet`s 7.62 solvent do what the directions tell you,also buy 2 new 30 caliber bronze brushes and scrub the heck out of that barrel. then take a bore scope and see if its clean should be only a steel shiny color ,if it shows a color kinda goldish more sweets over nite ,dry out again,more bore solvent on bronze bush and more scrubbing ,another good solvent is GM power tune engine cleaner buy it at GM garage.
the other thought is sell me that old 721 Remington and buy a new gun ? if your going to keep your gun stay with old reliable and easy to find ammo 30-06. good luck,Pete53

I was not aware that you can let 7.62 sweets soak in the barrel overnight these days. And didn't sweets always eat up the bore brushes as you scrubbed? Depositing so to speak IE you'll never get rid of blue color if using sweets with a metal bore brush.

Things may have changed over the years though. I"ve not used sweets in a long time.

Stubborn fouling, though there are other ways, was always hammered at by JB and a brush with tight patch to get it all eventually.

But lately, I"ve been convinced about plugging the bore and filling and leaving sit with something that would not assault the steel if left for a day or three.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've never done an overnight with Sweets, always read that was a no-no, that it may etch the bore.

So, I would be cautious on that advice.

Dyna Bore Coating is a great option, but you gotta get the barrel really clean down to the bare steel.

I DBC my new barrels, even premium ones that may not need it. Can't hurt, may help.

Properly treated, the good ones just about don't foul, the lesser ones foul a lot less.

DF

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I have my old 721 chambered in 270 that has been setting in the safe for several years, this was my first center fire rifle as a kid many, many tears ago. I inherited my Dad's 270 so I do not need two 270's, so I plan on re-barrelling the 721 with a 26" Light Varmint taper Remage barrel from Northland Supply, put it into a Stocky's stock and change out the trigger with a Trigger Tech from Northland Supply. Should be all in for under $800 and have a nice semi custom gun. Still debating the scope???

Founding member of the 7MM STW Club
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Nice rig FredIII.

[Linked Image]

Mine is an early 721 that was a rough 270 when i got it. Now it's an '06 mountain rifle type. Scary accurate for a do it yourself with a take off remington barrel.

[Linked Image]

Kempfeld did a great job on the bolt, knob wasn't what i expected and don't like it but that was my fault.

Just an M8 6x and talley's on top. Timney trigger too. It will be my son's when he grows into it in a couple years. Next one will be a 280 if I find another.

Recovering Yankee
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If you mentioned what stock, I missed it. Would like details.

DF

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
McMillan Mountaineer, GAP transition camo, 13" LOP. Stock from Rick, barrel off the 'fire. All up it weighs in around 6 3/4 lbs.

Recovering Yankee
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice.

DF

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never leave Sweets in the bore over night!!! Also use a nylon brush and a coated jag.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
hmm... maybe sweets has not changed.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
nylon brushes will not get carbon out of a barrel,and I have tried sweets on good barrels over night with no problem, if your scared too,> use G.M. parts cleaner but to get carbon out that barrel you will need a bronze brush and solvent. I have poured sweets in a glass bowl and set pieces of steel in the bowl for 24 hrs. and nothing happened, that must be a old wise tail

>> per James Sweet > it does say on my sweet`s bottle: harmless to steel

Last edited by pete53; 03/20/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by damnyankee308
Nice rig FredIII.

[Linked Image]

Mine is an early 721 that was a rough 270 when i got it. Now it's an '06 mountain rifle type. Scary accurate for a do it yourself with a take off remington barrel.

[Linked Image]

Kempfeld did a great job on the bolt, knob wasn't what i expected and don't like it but that was my fault.

Just an M8 6x and talley's on top. Timney trigger too. It will be my son's when he grows into it in a couple years. Next one will be a 280 if I find another.

That looks really good. I really cannot see anything looking better than a 721 done right.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My 721’s current status.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by fredIII
My 721’s current status.

[Linked Image]

Doesn't look like any 721 I'm familiar with... grin

Nice rig.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If using the factory stock, you will need to custom profile a new 721 barrel.

Sweets darn sure eats brass jags and brushes.
I about damn near wore the barrel of my 7 mag trying to get it clean.
I used sweets, then an overnight soak with Hoppes, followed by brushing.
Another shot of sweets always brought out green. Repeat, repeat, for days.

Finally realized the brush and jag mixed with Sweets was causing the green.
Who knows how long the gun had been clean.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by pete53
nylon brushes will not get carbon out of a barrel,and I have tried sweets on good barrels over night with no problem, if your scared too,> use G.M. parts cleaner but to get carbon out that barrel you will need a bronze brush and solvent. I have poured sweets in a glass bowl and set pieces of steel in the bowl for 24 hrs. and nothing happened, that must be a old wise tail

>> per James Sweet > it does say on my sweet`s bottle: harmless to steel

Cool, I guess all those competitive shooters and military guys were wrong all those years.

Carbon comes out with abrasives... JB is just fine for that.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
its funny how some try to help ,some are just negative on their keyboards.hope you solve your barrel problem cleaning it may help as simple as that ? maybe not you may need a new barrel ,whatever but just get another simple 30-06 to hunt with.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think it might be alright to leave it overnight in a bunx barrel.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by montanabadger
I think it might be alright to leave it overnight in a bunx barrel.

laugh

I likes dem bunxes, got a few...

No overnight Sweets in mine... mad

In fact, I have Sweets, haven't used it in years. To me there are better products.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but DBC solves a lot of these fouling problems before they occur.

DF

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

626 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,244
Posts18,447,948
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.