-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wool is awesome until it gets absolutely soaked, then it may as well be jeans.

I dearly love my Filson wool bibs and all my other wool cloths for late season, snowy hunting, but when it is stupid wet I haven't had the best of luck with wool.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a ton of both Kuiu and Sitka.

In my opinion, the Sitka gear is higher quality.

I used the Sitka Stormfront rain gear (along with a ton of other Sitka gear) on a Stone sheep hunt last August and we had horribly wet, rainy and snowy conditions.

I lived in the Stormfront for 8 days and we regularly walked 8-10 mi per day with packs on. I loved how you could let the stuff breathe. I was super-impressed.

Both are good, but I think Sitka is a little better in my experience. Neither are cheap! smile

Last edited by FishN4Eyes; 02/22/18.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Wool is awesome until it gets absolutely soaked, then it may as well be jeans.

I dearly love my Filson wool bibs and all my other wool cloths for late season, snowy hunting, but when it is stupid wet I haven't had the best of luck with wool.

I try to do one or two wool days of hunting, just for the sake of doing it. Cold, snowy still hunting is a lot of fun and wool seems to enhance it. 7 days of living out of a pack in a rainforest, and give me the kuiu. That being said, I wouldn't pay my own money for it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Calvin
I haven't seen the Yukon stuff. Is it insulated? I was given the chugach as a gift and know little about the high end clothing. I like it because it's a shell, and you can layer as appropriate under it based on hunt and conditions.

Not insulated but heavier and more durable. The yukon pants are my go to on Kodiak/Rasp/Afog. I have beat the hell out of them and they are still mostly intact. The jacket has held up as well.

The Sitka Stormfront is nice gear as well. I like the fabric of the Kuiu a little better, but that is just me. Also, I suspect the stormfront may fit a wider range of body habitus.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've been using Kuiu rain gear (mostly Chugach NX), on the Rock for the last 6 going on 7 years now and it has worked for me flawlessly. I currently have 3 sets of their rain gear, Chugach NX, Teton, and Yukon and all serve a purpose for the conditions I'm expecting to encounter when I go down there. Last year the Chugach were the only pants I wore for the entire week I spent goat hunting.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve got a bunch of Sitka gear and have been happy with it down here and up north. I don’t have First hand experience with Kuiu but have hard good things. I usually look for close outs on Sitka gear at mountain archery (?). Good luck, have fun, follow Art’s recommendations and post the story of your adventure.

Best of luck to you guys!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just got my Kuiu Yukon rain pants and jacket in and the jacket will need to be returned. Normally an XL is plenty big this needs to be a 2XL to layer properly. The merino wool hoodie is tight but doable. The beanie and gloves run true to size. The advice we got from Afognak recommended quiet clothing but this is rain gear with nothing quiet about them. I used some Browning clothing on a fall hunt in AK and Yukon and it worked great. Thinking of taking the old tried and true stuff with me but I think Afognak will be a whole lot wetter in the spring. Nothing worse than being wet and cold.

I really appreciate all the advice guys! Thank you,

Montani Semper Liberi

"Mountaineers Are Always Free"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by blackdogsrule
Just got my Kuiu Yukon rain pants and jacket in and the jacket will need to be returned. Normally an XL is plenty big this needs to be a 2XL to layer properly. The merino wool hoodie is tight but doable. The beanie and gloves run true to size. The advice we got from Afognak recommended quiet clothing but this is rain gear with nothing quiet about them. I used some Browning clothing on a fall hunt in AK and Yukon and it worked great. Thinking of taking the old tried and true stuff with me but I think Afognak will be a whole lot wetter in the spring. Nothing worse than being wet and cold.

Afognak is a temperate rainforest, the farthest north and west they are found in the US. Unfortunately it is mostly missing the forest these days.

I had a bunch of the Browning Hydrosponge gear and it was horrible in serious rain.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It’s much quieter when wet! 😉

Kinda serious but yes, GL finding truly quiet breathable rain gear. The kuiu is slightly quieter in my opinion than the Sitka stormfront; has more of a “cloth” texture if you will.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Afognak is a temperate rainforest, the farthest north and west they are found in the US. Unfortunately it is mostly missing the forest these days.

I had a bunch of the Browning Hydrosponge gear and it was horrible in serious rain.

That's good to know. I have Browning Hydra gear and it is very warm and does well in moderate rain but I feel Afognak will be just a little different. I got the Kuiu Yukon rain jacket and pants and they are not quiet. I don't know how stealthy I will need to be as it is my first trip there. Maybe just take the old Helley Hanson gear? It si so much easier to pack for Africa... 3 shorts, 3 short sleeve shirts, 6 underwear and 6 socks. I am spoiled. Going to stop by the local Cabelas today and check out the Sitka gear too.

Montani Semper Liberi

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AK_Troutbum
I've been using Kuiu rain gear (mostly Chugach NX), on the Rock for the last 6 going on 7 years now and it has worked for me flawlessly. I currently have 3 sets of their rain gear, Chugach NX, Teton, and Yukon and all serve a purpose for the conditions I'm expecting to encounter when I go down there. Last year the Chugach were the only pants I wore for the entire week I spent goat hunting.

So for a typical day late spring bear hunt what would be your layering system? I have never hunted at that time or in Kodiak/Afognak so I would really appreciate the advice of someone that has.

Montani Semper Liberi

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ironbender

What tag? Draw hunt number?

It is hunt DB192 for spring bear in Afognak.

Montani Semper Liberi

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

So for a typical day late spring bear hunt what would be your layering system? I have never hunted at that time or in Kodiak/Afognak so I would really appreciate the advice of someone that has.

It depends on how you will be hunting and the forecast. On the best days you will likely be in the sun glassing. On Mothers` Day 2015 we woke up to 6" of snow on the boat and fog on the deck...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Been there, done that with both Sitka and Kuiu. Try First Lite, you may find it better than either of the before mentioned, I have.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I've never been fortunate enough to draw a spring bear tag, so I've never hunted down there in the spring but I would assume that it's not too much unlike the fall or late fall. My typical layering system is a lighter wt. merino long sleeve shirt, Kuiu Peloton full zip hoodie, Kuiu super down jacket (either the hooded or the pullover), and then the rain gear or upper body. For lower body, I just wear the merino 210 zip off bottoms and my rain pants. If it's really cold I also have a pair of super down pants that I'll wear over the merino pants. Other than just hanging out in camp, I've never had to dress up this much for actual hunting. Once I start hiking (unless it's really cold), I usually overheat really fast if I'm wearing anything more than just the single base layer and the rain gear Hope that helps and good luck on your hunt, I hope you kill a big one. Oh, bring plenty of nice thick socks, so you can always have a clean, dry pair to put on at the end of the day. That's the one thing that I always splurge on when hunting down there.

Last edited by AK_Troutbum; 03/11/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I've never been fortunate enough to draw a spring bear tag, so I've never hunted down there in the spring but I would assume that it's not too much unlike the fall or late fall. My typical layering system is a lighter wt. merino long sleeve shirt, Kuiu Peloton full zip hoodie, Kuiu super down jacket (either the hooded or the pullover), and then the rain gear or upper body. For lower body, I just wear the merino 210 zip off bottoms and my rain pants. If it's really cold I also have a pair of super down pants that I'll wear over the merino pants. Other than just hanging out in camp, I've never had to dress up this much for actual hunting. Once I start hiking (unless it's really cold), I usually overheat really fast if I'm wearing anything more than just the single base layer and the rain gear Hope that helps and good luck on your hunt, I hope you kill a big one. Oh, bring plenty of nice thick socks, so you can always have a clean, dry pair to put on at the end of the day. That's the one thing that I always splurge on when hunting down there.

For those with constantly cold feet and the need for constant sock changes...

Spray your feet with antiperspirant every day for a couple weeks before a big hunt. Bring more in solid scentless form to rub on your feet during the hunt. Your feet will stay MUCH drier, warmer, better smelling, and comfortable...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 4xbear, 79S, 673, 14 invisible), 1,673 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,188
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.