Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
My new 250 grain Single Bevel Cutthroat broadheads arrived for my Water Buffalo hunt so I bought a few Rutabagas and before made a video comparing single and double bevel broadheads and their cut profiles through a variety of mediums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYKUGjVBV7k&list=UUrDKSMxGGaa59V0uZPABJ6Q&index=1

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Awesome video. I shoot a single bevel based on what I read and now I get to see it first hand. Thanks

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Check into this.. http://www.grizzlystik.com/Dr.-Ed-Ashby-W26.aspx
More of his work I think..

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I began designing and making single bevel heads over a decade ago. I wrote a companion piece with Dr. Ashby for Traditional bowhunter magazine back then. I am not affiliated with him and his products. Other sellers of single bevel pbroadheads have used my images but I dont make and sell single bevel broadheads. I use them and in this case, Im using the Cutthroat Single bevel as its a great design and made from some awesome steel.

Here is some photos of a fresh deer kill test I did back in 2008

[Linked Image]

I made three shots from 10 yards with my 45 pound longbow that shoots an arrow at a blazing 142 FPS. the first two were through the ribs and the final one hit the shoulder blade at the point where the flat and the "T" meet, right near the ball joint. This is (in my opinion) the largest and thickest bone section in the upper shoulder. I admit that hitting this far forward is not a good place to aim on a live animal but things happen beyond our control. I of course hit this spot with pin point precision on purpose.

[Linked Image]

The rib shots were complete pass throughs but the shoulder shot ended up with just the fletches sticking out entrance side. I know there were no lungs in the deer but they don't offer much in the way of resistance any way. Also consider that this deer was cold and stiff as rigor mortise had set in so I consider all things equal.
[Linked Image]

Right off the bat, I noticed the "S" shaped cuts that Dr. Ashby had spoke about. This was the case on both the entrance and exit holes.

[Linked Image]

*** Word of caution***
When you pull the arrow back out of the deer (through a bone) and you have sharpened your broadheads on the trailing edge as well as the main edge. Make sure to keep your fingers clear even though you need to hold the deer steady while retrieving the arrow.

[Linked Image]

After a brief bit of first aid, I began to skin the deer, I noticed that both of the rib shots had completely missed hitting ribs on both sides. My goal was to break a rib to see the results but I must have used up all my luck..... I mean skill on that shoulder shot.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by sharp_things; 03/13/18.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I then removed the shoulder and boned it out.

[Linked Image]

Just as described by Dr. Ashby, the "S" shaped cut and the bone had split completely being held at the joint end by only some soft fibers.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As expected, the single bevel head is a real bone breaker/splitter. This was a small deer but again, I was using a rather low power bow. Take from this what you will but I am even more pleased with the single bevel heads. This sort of thing may not be necessary with todays super fast and powerful bows hunting whitetails but for those using traditional archery gear, or those going after large or dangerous game, we are looking for every advantage we can get.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for sharing

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My experience with single beavers is limited and will stay that way. I used Ashby single bevel 315 grain BH s in Africa on three animals. The penetration results were very disappointing.

NRA Patron
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot through the flat sections of both shoulder blades on two different deer a few years back using a 200gr Werewolf's.

One was a complete pass through, the other had the fletching get hung up on the exit and the arrow fell out as the deer ran away.

I am a believer, I have Cutthroats also, just have not killed anything with them yet. The seem to be h#!! for stout, and I think dang near indestructible. The Werewolf's not so much, both were rendered unusable, I had another one ruined after I missed my broadhead target and it hit an oak stump.

Arcus Venator
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Curious about your set-up dale06, total arrow weight, bow poundage, and size of animals shot? Lots of folks always looking for something new or better and wanting to know what failed too.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Glynn
Curious about your set-up dale06, total arrow weight, bow poundage, and size of animals shot? Lots of folks always looking for something new or better and wanting to know what failed too.

72 pound Mathews drenalin
Grizzly stix arrows, 31”, approximately 980 grains with brass inserts and 315 Ashby single bevel
Cape buffalo, black wildebeest, blesbuck
Did not get pass through on any of them, the blesbuck was spined
Later on in that safari I shot an eland, same bow 500 grain arrow, Slick Trick mag, arrow passed through and was hanging out on off side, just behind the shoulder

Last edited by dale06; 03/17/18.

NRA Patron
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm amazed that one would think they'd get a pass through on a cape with a 72 pound draw. But maybe things have changed. 300-400 plus pound pigs won't let me get pass throughs from coc heads, granted I never shot really heavy arrows like I would for a cape though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 55 invisible), 2,089 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,078
Posts18,463,841
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.