Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I'm planning a 2019 trip to South Africa for my son and me. It will be primarily plains game, and possibly to visit to Kruger.

I need to work around his school schedule. He has a spring break the second week of April that could work. We can also go mid to late August. I've only been in late May and early June.

Which would you prefer: early to mid April, or mid to late August?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
August. Without a doubt.Cooler weather, animals move more.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot will depend on what you are selecting to go after as your primary animal (s). Some animals like to hang out in the brush, others in hillsides and some in the open savannas. So check with your outfitter or PH’s as to what he recommends. If you check with three or more different outfitters/PH, you will get a feel for whom you may select to go with.

Marius would be a good person to ask your questions.

April you will find more green vegetation and it could be more difficult to spot animals. While it is warmer and you may like that. With the warm weather, you will have ticks everywhere and you will need to be mindful of that. I have done April and treated my clothing and that did the tricks on ticks and helped with the fly’s.

August, you will find less vegetation and cooler temperatures, therefore warmer clothing including a jacket will be in order. I have done August and a light jacket was needed in the morning and evenings while sitting in a blind for bush pig.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm planning on heading over there the last 2 weeks of August for a Cape buffalo & tiger fishing. I'll let you know in a few months.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been in April - it's warm. August is better. Saw snow inn July once!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have made 4 trips to the African continent, specifically Namibia and S.A., in late August. Temperatures are usually very good, although I have seen extremes as high as 104 degrees, and as low as below freezing in the mornings. Just plan on some clothes layering and you will be fine.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
August

Scott

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Well. I've been three times before and -- August 7-18, 2018 for me and the missus this time around. (Right now they're killing cobras in the front yard!)

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I’ve made 3 trips in late April or May. The kudu are rutting as are the impala. As mentioned above ticks can be nasty and although not peak snake season they are around.

I would check with your PH for the final word.

B
Bob33 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the feedback. I think we will be better off planning an August trip.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Airfare in August could be considerably higher than in April. Could be significant savings travelling in April. Use the savings for more animals.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just so you know if you're hunting the northern or Limpopo province the rain will not be over by a long shot. One day of hard rain will screw with hunting because of impassable muddy flooded roads in many places. The game shuts down too. Limited movement when everything is wet. Once water is everyplace normal drinking patterns, hence movement between waterholes change considerably as well.

April is not a good choice to risk the anticipation of this trip. If it rains and it likely can that time of the year it will be a less than successful trip for you. Any time after May 5-10 is a better less rainy season through September. After Sept the likelihood of rain increases through the hot months. I do not book a hunt in April without covering this in great detail with the hunters. Many only have this as an option and accept the risk.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
D
D
I am living in South Africa in Mpumalanga and would rather consider April before August. August is normally very windy, therefore if you plan to shoot plains ( Blesbuck/ Springbuck) you will have a very good chance of shooting in 20 m/h ( 30km/h ) winds at 250+ M. April is normally warm with day tempretures reaching high 20's deg C.
If you planning any Bushveld hunts you have an increased chance of snakes in the veld in April.
To get the most out of a trip rather aim for June / July.
My 2C......enjoy your trip, make the most out of your trip and go to Kruger Park (Lowveld), Table mountain in Cape Town and try to Hunt the plains and bushveld.
Nice places ( Combination of Mix) where you can hunt is Pongola Game reserve (Natal Bushveld) and Rhino Lodge( Highveld plains). Both places offer great service....I am taking my 7 year old on her first hunt to Pongla in June.
Enjoy your trip...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like to go to Africa when the snake's aren't out!!!

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
As a local hunter, I will always choose April/May. Remember that the local hunters make up more than 90% of game hunted in a calendar year in S-Africa. Traditionally hunting season starts in April/May and ends in Aug/Sept. So when you arrive in Aug, I think it is fair to assume, the best animals(of that season) have been harvested(either by locals, or overseas hunters). The rest of the game, normally are excessively "skittish" from being exposed to all the hunters, come Aug.

Just some local input

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Slider1
I like to go to Africa when the snake's aren't out!!!

I have seen Puff adders in the dead of cold in Africa, both in my army days as well as out hunting. In Limpopo, the very "fun loving'' Black Mamba is spotted all year. However snakebites are very very rare among local hunters.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’m headed to South Africa in August. Our trip is set. We leave for South Africa August 9th and return home the 22nd. We will be plains game hunting. I prefer colder weather. So should be a great time for me.
1st time to South Africa for me. Working on the air fair at this time..

Brian

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,402
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.