Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm contemplating topping a Tikka T3x Super Lite with a Swarovski Z3 3-10 x 42 or 3-9 x 36.

How does the scope track, are the adjustments precise?

Do they hold zero?

I would assume they would considering their manufacturer, but if memory serves, I once read here that a few of you guys had trouble with the adjustments.

Last edited by StudDuck; 03/12/18.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would trust one just as much as a Leupold,which is to say it will likely be fine in a set and forget mode,but I wouldn't expect to dial back and forth for targets.

For a dialing scope,I think the 3-9 SWFA at 19 ounces is about as light as you can find with ultimate reliability in tracking as the top criteria. One of the Nightforce straight tube scopes would be the lightest at 17 ounces. Personally,I am very interested in getting my hands on the new NF 1-8 NX8. At 17 ounces it would make a great mid range hunting scope if it's decent in low light.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Between the kids and I we have a bunch of Z3's either 3-10x42 or 3-9x36, for the price they are my favorite scope. I will say the adjustments are good, but not perfect.The optics/view is awesome to my eye. I can't really speak to tracking because once I work up a load I'm kinda a set it and forget guy with a max shooting range of 400 yards or so, not a turret twister.
One of my oldest Z3's sits atop my 7 3/4 lbs 300 H&H, I've had it 6 or 7 years, adjusted it like 2-3 times over that span during practice/zero check in and it has around 400 shots down the tube so far. That same rifle took a very nasty fall down a Colorado rockface, held zero and killed my bull at 379 yards the next day.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My experience has been no to accurate/reliable tracking and yes to holding zero. They are really nice glass and light weight but not really suitable for dialing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z3 3-9 and 3-10 are pretty much set and forget. Traditional scopes if you will. On the other hand, the Z3 4-12 with the BT allows one to do some twisting.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Have several Z3’s but,with their proprietary BRX reticl for longer range shooting. These scopes are light, and bright, and though the BRX seems a little busy, with practice it seems good to medium long range for me providing your data input is good. For me I’d say to six hundred yards or so depending.

I took a large whitetail at hundred five yards after much practice and concluded it is sufficiently precise for these kinds of ranges. I would be reticent to pick a Z3 for dependable “twist and shout” turret hunting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WiFowler
the Z3 4-12 with the BT allows one to do some twisting.

One revolution worth......

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have three Swaro 2.5-10 x 42,. One is mounted on a Tikka 7-08, another on a Winchester M70 .30/06 and the last on a Winchester M70 7x57. All have the plex reticle. Absolutely no issues with any of them.

Am not a knob twiddler.Once I get a zero, it's set and forget.

Don't think you can go wrong with a Z3.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thinking back on the trouble with the Z3 I mentioned in my original post, I believe it was mentioned from guys who like to twist knobs; this is something I don't have to do.

I'd really like to purchase a NightForce SHV, but the Z3 is lighter and much more svelte.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have two Z3 2.5-10x42 scopes mounted on Tikka T3x Superlite .300 Win Mags. I have had zero issues, they track fine and have held zero but I think these are more a "set and forget" type scope....The optics are excellent, clear and bright, lowlight performace is very good...IMO excellent hunting scopes.....Hb

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I’m a big fan of Z3s....as a set and forget scope. I would not rely on them for a turret twister. My Z3 4x12x50 with ballistic turret was sent back to address tracking. I haven’t had a chance to re-evaluate since receiving it back. My favorite scopes are the Z5s and I’m frankly not sure I’d trust them for precise tacking either (felt the same way about a Z6 I had for a while). As soon as the weather breaks, I’ll test the Z3. Everything is a compromise of some sort......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 3-9x36 on my .50 cal muzzleloader that adjusted fine while dialing my load in. They aren't built for turret twisting but it has held zero fine for me on my light CVA muzzleloader with a bunch of max loads of BH209. Great glass and incredibly light.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
So what's a good option for someone looking for a scope to go on a hunting rifle, where great glass and low light performance are paramount but the need to twist the elevation up for an occasional 500-600 yard shot is desired? Is the glass and low light performance of a Nightforce SHV in the same league as the Z3?

Last edited by KoolBreeze; 03/14/18.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
KoolBreeze: I'd have to say the SHV.

There have been several good threads outlining the SHV's performance.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze
So what's a good option for someone looking for a scope to go on a hunting rifle, where great glass and low light performance are paramount but the need to twist the elevation up for an occasional 500-600 yard shot is desired? Is the glass and low light performance of a Nightforce SHV in the same league as the Z3?

Lowlight shot at 500-600 yards?

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

No, sorry if that was the impression I gave. Typical low light shots would rarely, if ever, be over 75 yards. But I also want to be able to dial a rare long range (500-600 yards max) shot in good light. In essence, a set it and forget it hunting scope that tracks reliably when needed.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

No, sorry if that was the impression I gave. Typical low light shots would rarely, if ever, be over 75 yards. But I also want to be able to dial a rare long range (500-600 yards max) shot in good light. In essence, a set it and forget it hunting scope that tracks reliably when needed.

Then a Z5 would be a good choice or something along those lines

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you can stand the weight the Bushnell 3-12 LRHS can still be found even though it is discontinued. I have it and a Z5 and wouldn't say there is a noticeable difference in the glass quality. THE LRHS tracks perfectly and is built to do all the dialing anyone could want to do.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

Then a Z5 would be a good choice or something along those lines

+1

“Factio democratica delenda est"
G
G
You could use the Zeiss Victory HT 2.5-10x50 ASV turret with or without illumination to dial reliably in pretty much any legal light. Only weighs 18 oz.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Graywolf260
You could use the Zeiss Victory HT 2.5-10x50 ASV turret with or without illumination to dial reliably in pretty much any legal light. Only weighs 18 oz.

I wish mine had the ASV turret , love that scope

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Graywolf260

Ive been trying to find a deal on a "slightly used" or "new old stock" 3-12x56 with the ASV. Hard to find and better bring your checkbook when you do find one!

Randall

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
733 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.