Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
79inpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I see that the deadline to apply for Colorado elk is march 3 a Tuesday. Does anyone know the exact date that they draw the licenses. I'm just wondering how much time I have to save up for a license.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 79inpa
I see that the deadline to apply for Colorado elk is march 3 a Tuesday. Does anyone know the exact date that they draw the licenses. I'm just wondering how much time I have to save up for a license.

I believe in the past they got to the elk draw in June. But this year is different with no paper apps, could be earlier, or could be later.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sure hope you got that date wrong or I'm screwed.....
Ok I checked the application deadline is April 3. This year there is a change, no paper applications, but you will give a credit card number when you apply and will not get charged unless you're successful. There is a $3 application fee that they will charge you to process the application. If you draw the license you want then they will charge your credit card. Good luck in the draw!

Last edited by chickasaw_hunter; 03/12/18.

The older I get the better I was.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
April...... not March

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, its April. Anyway, you have a choice of rifles.....

IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Drawing is June 4-8 if I recall correctly. That is the time frame that successful tags will be charged and it should be complete and verified by then. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
79inpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks wam

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
79inpa, Anytime! Deadline for applications for CO Limited License draw is always the first Tuesday in April. They won’t charge your card until you are successful, around June 4-8 this year. Good luck and happy hunting! Cheers

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Elk numbers are down so there will be reduced #'s of tags available for the draw.. Every year more hunters applying as opposed to past years. Colorado's population has grown so more competition from residents. I was amazed at how many hunters came to Colorado to hunt from other countries. . US citizens from out of state compete directly with non citizens from other countries. Hmm.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Hesp
Elk numbers are down so there will be reduced #'s of tags available for the draw.. Every year more hunters applying as opposed to past years. Colorado's population has grown so more competition from residents. I was amazed at how many hunters came to Colorado to hunt from other countries. . US citizens from out of state compete directly with non citizens from other countries. Hmm.

Not good news that elk numbers are down. Since all the hunting media is claiming overall hunter numbers are shrinking nationally, it might all equal out in the end. Seems the number of new hunters each year lags the drop out rate of us old timers. Who knows...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hear reports of the number of hunters dwindling.....but Missouri still sells about 1/2 million deer tags every year

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I hear reports of the number of hunters dwindling.....but Missouri still sells about 1/2 million deer tags every year

Yep, very few left over elk tags go unsold in Colorado and OTC license are a brisk business.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Deadline is today. Better get it done if you’re thinking about it.

Don’t worry about the numbers. You hunt hard enough, and hunt the entire season dark to dark- you’ll eventually get a chance.

Of course it helps to hunt areas that have lots of elk. Northwest Colorado is usually a good place to start looking.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I hear reports of the number of hunters dwindling.....

I keep looking for the spot where they've dwindled, haven't found it yet.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
CO had 6,000 more elk hunters in 2017 than 2010 and more deer hunters, but that number of deer hunters is limited to tag quotas available. Numbers may not be indicative of numbers of hunters nationwide due to the urbanization and pussification of the American male. What do you think motivates the outdoor gear companies to target girls and women so heavily the last few years? Happy Trails

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
NPR and USFWS report / survey... if you believe them

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/20/5930...demagazine&utm_term=who%20will%20pay

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by WAM
CO had 6,000 more elk hunters in 2017 than 2010 and more deer hunters, but that number of deer hunters is limited to tag quotas available. Numbers may not be indicative of numbers of hunters nationwide due to the urbanization and pussification of the American male. What do you think motivates the outdoor gear companies to target girls and women so heavily the last few years? Happy Trails

And all 6000 of those hunters went to the unit I hunt. Females are the fastest growing demographic of shooting and hunting sports. It's just business. They want to make money and they are catering to the new group of hunters and shooters.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WAM
NPR and USFWS report / survey... if you believe them

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/20/5930...demagazine&utm_term=who%20will%20pay

A lot of variables in that study...

#1 there’s almost 100 million more people in the US since 1990 and most live in urban metros where hunting is not a normal recreational activity

#2 in 1990 you could buy over the counter tags for just about any species in most states for a small fee.

#3 In 1990 you didn’t have a thousand outfitter companies leasing up land all over the US to then charge inflated Hunt fees to wealthier hunters

#4 In 1990 a farmer or rancher would allow friends and acquaintances to hunt on their land on a hand shake. Today hunting on their land is a money making proposition.

Stricter regulations, higher license and tag fees, less land available to most hunters and an increase in pressure in the places that one can hunt doesn’t encourage many to either stay in the sport or to enter the sport. My father in law is 70years old and has hunted his whole life and raised his family with game meat as a staple food. I remember some years back when he could no longer buy an OTC deer tag in Utah and did not draw a deer tag. He said it was the first year in some 50 years that he could not hunt deer. You have to really love the sport and the time spent outdoors more than filling a tag these days that’s for sure.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 79inpa
I'm just wondering how much time I have to save up for a license.

That’s exactly the kind of Bush League bullschitt that’s totally screwing with the CO Draw now. Now that you don’t have to pay for the tag up front.... there’s folks applying, who may/may not even be able to pay for the tag when they’re drawn.

I don’t know what the solution is..... but it certainly isn’t good that they’ll let anybody in now.... for just $13.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since they have your credit card info, if there is enough room on the card it is getting charged if you have cash or not. If you don't have room on your credit card, no tag for you and the next person in line is getting the tag. What's the big deal with that?

When the dust settles on this new system, I anticipate little change in the points needed to hunt the various areas I hunt in. If there is, I'll move on to upland game hunting and that will get rid of one bubba drawing big game tags in CO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1337Fungi, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,321
Posts18,468,449
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.