-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Some of you guys purchased a turkey call from me in past years, and I thank you for that. Here's a new slideshow video I made with an opportunity to get one with FREE SHIPPING. Choose between a Cherry body and a Maple body. The Maple has walnut inserts in the ends. A little practice and you'll be making all kinds of sounds with it.

I think it's the best scratchbox on the market. Each one is individually handmade by yours truly, from cutting the logs to packaging the finished call. All hand tuned. I wouldn't package it and sell it if I wouldn't take it turkey hunting. Check it out. And thanks.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
[Linked Image]

I think mine are better

Jk....

Guys
I tell ya what
It takes me the better part of 6- 8
Total hrs for me to make one of mine

This dudes look real good......
And for 30 bucks

You ain't gonna get a call like this for that price
Anywhere else.....

These calls if anything like mine
Make sounds with a tone, pitch and freq unheard by birds
Birds will come to these calls if used correctly.

Espically ones that have been over called too all season
And gotten a free education from the Wal-Mart
Plethora of calls everyone has used on em.
Scratch box calls kill birds......
Espically over called birds that aint ever heard one .
Until the few last remaining moments of their life.....

Their is your plug for your call
Dude...

Send me one for free
I will try it out if ya want.

Mine are made of cedar or poplar
Poplar is loud and raspy as heck
Cedar is high pitch and clear
Strikers are whatever sounds good
Cedar slats , ash dowels
Chalk often.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the boost, Renegade. Thinking about your offer.

You say "Chalk often."

I don't chalk mine often at all. Once at daybreak and that might be enough for all morning. My call holds chalk very well. I have a few secrets I won't disclose, but I'll tell you this much:
1. The wood for the strikerboard.
2. The kind of chalk I use.
3. My method of applying the first chalking.

People ask if it works when wet. When it gets wet, I rub the strikerboard on my jacket, chalk it heavily to soak up the moisture, rub it again to get as much chalk back off as I can, and then chalk it again. If the lip of the soundboard gets wet, I rub it briskly against my jacket to create some friction, and the heat of the friction seems to dry it enough. I've done that several times and the call works perfectly.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Your calls look great . Excellent workmanship

I got alarge cedar blank that has been setting for 3-4 yrs
Need to sand it down someday.
Just ain't motivated

Making a blank is the easy part.

If one of the 2 I have cracks a sound board
Then I will hit the belt sander with the blank
And then hand sand and tune the sound board
After all the walls are slimmed down.

For 30 bucks guys
And what he is making

A turkey hunter needs to have one of his calls in a vest pocket.

Specially if any of ya have lost round 1 on a call shy educated bird.

Last edited by renegade50; 03/07/18.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Took 9 to the Post Office today.
4 more ready to go tomorrow.
Doing my best to send out by First Class mail within 24 hours.

They're selling faster than I expected. smile

Thanks.
Steve.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Feedback worth sharing, from an email I just got:

"I just received my scratch box call. And in just 30 minutes of watching your, ”how to” video and practicing with it, I can honestly say. This is a awesome call!!
I grew up with box calls and I think this is better. Our season starts in April here in ... and I can’t wait.
Thank You.”

Messages like that are truly gratifying! Thanks to all who have ordered (and who will!)

Steve.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Steve, I'll give you another thumbs up on your call. It sounds great and is versatile. Your craftsmanship is reflected very well in it.
Good guy to deal with.
You should put up the link to your how to YouTube video.

Thanks,
Richard

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here it is:

Steve.

Last edited by Everyday Hunter; 03/12/18.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was at an event where I was speaking this weekend, and I didn't take enough calls in Cherry. So I sold out of the Maple version.

At this point, I have only Cherry in stock. I'm going to try to reflect that in the ordering mechanism as quickly as I can, but if you order, please order Cherry as I will not be able to fill any Maple orders for about a month.

Thanks.
Steve.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Currently only Cherry is available.
I generally make three of every four in Cherry. My next batch will include some Maple, but for the next month or so, Cherry only.

Steve.

IC B3

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I purchased one last year and it is a very fine call.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’ve run scratchboxes for around 25 years. MOF, I’m not sure why I carry box calls or even a pot most days. I’ve got them in all sizes and materials. One of my first, made by a co-worker’s husband from black walnut is still a favorite for sound. He had a 12x16 cabin/shop with all four exterior walls covered in Turkey spurs and feet. Oddly, his were made to rn backwards from what most run scratchboxes, so they were longe and narrower for sound chamber and hand position, while you moved the striker, not the box. I still run this way most of the time. We also cut/planed some natural slate into striker boards, which was a ridiculously good sound. I’m mulling one of your boxes over the different sound chamber layout. My favorite, day in day out call is a little round Pope’s scratchbox. Hard to beat for small, sound, and easy to hold. I would say that I feel I can generally get more varied and directional tones running the striker, instead of the box, but that’s a personal oddity. Your boxes look great and it’s true that it’s a do-all call, with no peer, IME.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Kenny Morgan scratch box that I bought when he was still alive. Heck of a call.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by keninva
I purchased one last year and it is a very fine call.

Thanks, Ken!

Steve.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tag

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

591 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 22250rem, 62 invisible), 2,149 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,279
Posts18,448,505
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.