-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looked at one of these in 20ga. at Cabela's over the weekend, nice little gun. Felt solid and aimed nice for me. Wondering if anyone has experience with them?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
They're solid guns. People bitch about Turkish guns, but fail to realize o0%of Beretta Italian manufacturing employed are Turks.

I'm fairly impressed by cz. Have you checked out there new custom production gun.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As has been mentioned many, many times it can be a carp shoot when choosing Turkish guns. They are usually better than they were a decade and more ago but that bar was pretty low.

I'm guessing the above poster meant 90% of Beretta's employees are Turks, not o0%. I find that difficult to believe but, if so, then I wonder which positions are filled with Turks and which aren't. I strongly suspect that any skilled positions have high standards to meet and anyone, regardless of country of origin, that can't meet these standards are let go. The same can be said of the materials used, Beretta I'd wager has more stringent specifications than most of the Turkish companies.

I will wait a while longer before trusting Turkish O/Us. I don't see any of them distinguishing themselves from the crowd at the moment which is reminiscent of some Spanish and Italian makers going back to the 1970s. I was bitten a few times by these "great" guns and learned to be sceptical of that which looked and was priced too good to be true. There was always a catch hidden in there someplace.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gitem_12
They're solid guns.
Um, no they're not..
People bitch about Turkish guns, but fail to realize o0%of Beretta Italian manufacturing employed are Turks.
Then I'm guessing those particular employees are under a lot more (1) scrutiny and (2) quality-defined work status..

I'm fairly impressed by cz. Have you checked out there new custom production gun.

Compare the working innards of Turkish shotguns vs. those from Browning, SKB etc.. And that's not even beginning a comparison to Perazzi, Krieghoff etc..

Originally Posted by woodmaster81

I'm guessing the above poster meant 90% of Beretta's employees are Turks, not o0%. I find that difficult to believe but, if so, then I wonder which positions are filled with Turks and which aren't. I strongly suspect that any skilled positions have high standards to meet and anyone, regardless of country of origin, that can't meet these standards are let go. The same can be said of the materials used, Beretta I'd wager has more stringent specifications than most of the Turkish companies. .
Ya read my mind sir...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I like some of CZ's stuff but don't get the love for their shotguns.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Redneck
They're solid guns.
Um, no they're not..
People bitch about Turkish guns, but fail to realize o0%of Beretta Italian manufacturing employed are Turks.
Then I'm guessing those particular employees are under a lot more (1) scrutiny and (2) quality-defined work status..

Compare the working innards of Turkish shotguns vs. those from Browning, SKB etc.. And that's not even beginning a comparison to Perazzi, Krieghoff etc..

I'm guessing the above poster meant 90% of Beretta's employees are Turks, not o0%. I find that difficult to believe but, if so, then I wonder which positions are filled with Turks and which aren't. I strongly suspect that any skilled positions have high standards to meet and anyone, regardless of country of origin, that can't meet these standards are let go. The same can be said of the materials used, Beretta I'd wager has more stringent specifications than most of the Turkish companies. .
Ya read my mind sir...

And look at the cost difference between a cz and Browning

I've had both, and have not had any issues with any of the cxs. But my 725 had to go back to Browning because they couldn't be bothered to tighten the stock bolt from the factory and the stock cracked at the wrist at around 1000 rounds of 1 ounce #8s

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Many O/U stocks crack right at the tang - it's the thinnest part of the wood and under some stress.. Only ones worse are SXSs.. Most users of O/U shotguns who run hundreds/thousands of rounds through their guns yearly usually check things like stock tightness, choke tube tightness and general overall maintenance on a regular basis.. At least, I did when I was competing.. smile

Cost concerns? Sure.. And if the CZ is gonna be used for birds (feathers, not clay) in open seasons only it should last years. But if it's to be used for 100-200 clay-bird shoots every weekend, you're gonna have to bite the bullet and spend a bit more for reliability..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Turkish guns are just fine. Not cheap crap like Chinese or entry level Italian ones of the 70's.

Weatherby sells a nice o/u made in Turkey for around $800. My brother shoots one for skeet and has a 1000 rounds through it with no problems.

I shoot a Hatfield SAS 12 ga. auto for skeet that cost under $200 new. No problems with it either.

Now that many U.S. gun manufactures have been bought out by comglomerates, they're quality has tanked so old time product loyalty no longer applies

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Redneck
Many O/U stocks crack right at the tang - it's the thinnest part of the wood and under some stress.. Only ones worse are SXSs.. Most users of O/U shotguns who run hundreds/thousands of rounds through their guns yearly usually check things like stock tightness, choke tube tightness and general overall maintenance on a regular basis.. At least, I did when I was competing.. smile

Cost concerns? Sure.. And if the CZ is gonna be used for birds (feathers, not clay) in open seasons only it should last years. But if it's to be used for 100-200 clay-bird shoots every weekend, you're gonna have to bite the bullet and spend a bit more for reliability..

That's funny. Our YHEC team has probably a dozen cz and Tri star o/us that see a few thousand rounds a season and we haven't had one break yet

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Lee. My 725 had under a thousand rounds. Browning admits that they don't check stock bolt tightness at the factory

I'm sorry, but for 3500 bucks. They damned well ought to

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Id be willing to bet none of the other large producers check the stock bolt tightness either, especially low priced models as that would be labor intensive which would up costs.

I have seen only one shotgun with a loose stock and it too was a Browning. It came from Miami in August to MN. I shot it that fall and put it up until early Feburary. I pulled it out to shoot a local tourney and felt the looseness when I opened the gun. 1/16-1/8 of a turn had it tight again. Odds are the change in humidity caused the looseness as the gun was a couple years old before I bought it. A new gun can suffer the same problem or the stock could have been a little green when pulled from the rack and dried a bit by the time it was sold. In any case, I can't blame the manufacturer for a "problem" one should notice before damage occurs. It's kind of like turning up the radio when a knock is heard in the engine. If one does not recognize the problem before it causes damage, it is still not the manufacturer's fault.

Probably the weakest link is the internal parts. One thing all critiques I have read on Turkish (actually all guns built to low price points) has been the large variance in internal part quality and finish. The hardening of wear surfaces can vary between minimal to adequate which can affect the time between part replacement. How well these parts fit together also plays a role as the fit and finish can affect how quickly a part fails. Huglu has suggested their guns should go as many as 50,000 rounds with recommended care before needing a rebuild. The key word is "should" with a number of inexpensive guns not reaching that point.

My former Citori was well over 150,000 rounds and did not need rebuilding yet. My current Citori has about half that number of rounds and is far from needing a rebuild. If/when it reaches that point it will cost me $380 to repair for another couple hundred thousand rounds. If a low price point shotgun needs a rebuild at a much lower round count and a similar price to rebuild, if someone will even do so, would it even be cost effective?

I have been down that road more than once in my early years, I learned my lessons then. All I can do is give the best advise I can based on my experiences and observations based on my usage and the risk of down time I am willing to put up with. With age and experience my acceptance of problems and potential problems haste grown steadily less.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bought a CZ Woodcock Mini (410 O/U) from Darrick a couple years ago and while it has not gotten a ton of use yet it will get a thorough workout over time. I suspect it will respond like the Huglus and other Turk doubles I have been around and work just fine as a live bird gun for well beyond my hunting days. It is pretty enough to enjoy and cheap enough to drink to.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Id be willing to bet none of the other large producers check the stock bolt tightness either, especially low priced models as that would be labor intensive which would up costs.

I have seen only one shotgun with a loose stock and it too was a Browning. It came from Miami in August to MN. I shot it that fall and put it up until early Feburary. I pulled it out to shoot a local tourney and felt the looseness when I opened the gun. 1/16-1/8 of a turn had it tight again. Odds are the change in humidity caused the looseness as the gun was a couple years old before I bought it. A new gun can suffer the same problem or the stock could have been a little green when pulled from the rack and dried a bit by the time it was sold. In any case, I can't blame the manufacturer for a "problem" one should notice before damage occurs. It's kind of like turning up the radio when a knock is heard in the engine. If one does not recognize the problem before it causes damage, it is still not the manufacturer's fault.

Probably the weakest link is the internal parts. One thing all critiques I have read on Turkish (actually all guns built to low price points) has been the large variance in internal part quality and finish. The hardening of wear surfaces can vary between minimal to adequate which can affect the time between part replacement. How well these parts fit together also plays a role as the fit and finish can affect how quickly a part fails. Huglu has suggested their guns should go as many as 50,000 rounds with recommended care before needing a rebuild. The key word is "should" with a number of inexpensive guns not reaching that point.

My former Citori was well over 150,000 rounds and did not need rebuilding yet. My current Citori has about half that number of rounds and is far from needing a rebuild. If/when it reaches that point it will cost me $380 to repair for another couple hundred thousand rounds. If a low price point shotgun needs a rebuild at a much lower round count and a similar price to rebuild, if someone will even do so, would it even be cost effective?

I have been down that road more than once in my early years, I learned my lessons then. All I can do is give the best advise I can based on my experiences and observations based on my usage and the risk of down time I am willing to put up with. With age and experience my acceptance of problems and potential problems haste grown steadily less.

Of all the standards I demand from a decent double, out-of-the-box, stock bolt tightness is not very high on my list. I am having trouble imagining any specification more likely to change betwixt factory and forest...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Lee. My 725 had under a thousand rounds. Browning admits that they don't check stock bolt tightness at the factory

I'm sorry, but for 3500 bucks. They damned well ought to
I totally agree... In fact, just yesterday I had a BRAND NEW M725 in the shop due to the owner could not lock down the fore-end!!! And I thought the same thing as you - why in hell didn't Browning check the fit of a complete assembly BEFORE they ship it???

Fitting the latch to the barrel lug is a process that is done slowly and carefully! Using layout fluid and careful filing I have it so the fore-end lock goes into place with slight pressure.. Since the gun is literally new and will loosen up a tad with use this lock should also ease up after a year or two..

Probably the weakest link is the internal parts. One thing all critiques I have read on Turkish (actually all guns built to low price points) has been the large variance in internal part quality and finish.The hardening of wear surfaces can vary between minimal to adequate which can affect the time between part replacement. How well these parts fit together also plays a role as the fit and finish can affect how quickly a part fails. Huglu has suggested their guns should go as many as 50,000 rounds with recommended care before needing a rebuild. The key word is "should" with a number of inexpensive guns not reaching that point.
Exactly!!

I've had O/Us in with loose stocks - and others that had the buttstock so tight (including Brownings) I literally had to use an extension and a ratchet handle to get 'em loose... Every year I repair probably a dozen cracked stocks; mostly shotguns but rifles in the mix as well - and it seems to matter not whether the attaching bolt was loose or not. A lot of it is just the wood itself and the fit (too tight?) at the tang.. Not much one can do about those.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

202 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 13 invisible), 1,391 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,286
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.