Print Thread
Hop To
T
tbear99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Any love for the old auto loaders my first was the 07 351 my dad bought when i was young and from there i acquired both 05's the 32 and 35 s.l then finally found a 1910 401 that has the rare good bore.and then for me was the winchester model 1911 12ga.The only one i never acquired the 1903 22 i have pics of the 05's and 1911
1905 winchester 32 self loader
winchester1905 35 self loader
winchester 1911

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
BP-B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was issued a .351 SL as a young trooper. NO LOVE HERE! I finally got an 870 riot gun. It was more accurate with slugs than the .351 was with proper ammo and had the added feature of buckshot.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Those 1907's and cousins are a true joy to random then reassemble! laugh

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our local Cabelas had a 401 for at least six months on the used rack..Discounted it three times down to $ 345 probably should have bought it,bore was decent but timber was beat up and cracked by the butt plate.By the condition most likely a truck gun.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Our local Cabelas had a 401 for at least six months on the used rack..Discounted it three times down to $ 345 probably should have bought it,bore was decent but timber was beat up and cracked by the butt plate.By the condition most likely a truck gun.

Them forearms are real easy to split & crack too!

Founder

WS

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

I bet they would be although this one seemed to be Ok. I asked to see the clip and give it a try which was another reason I passed besides all the case forming to make it a shooter.

Woody
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I bet they would be although this one seemed to be Ok. I asked to see the clip and give it a try which was another reason I passed besides all the case forming to make it a shooter.

I have an old 351 SL with one 10 round mag in and two more piled up in a stack, it's Wifeys favorite house gun, 200 grain slugs at 1900 fps, our buddy CrimsonTide says a couple of those in the nipple would make a man bad sick. wink lol.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sweet !.. I've always liked the kool factor of those old dinosaurs and from what I can see a 401 would be a semi auto 41 Mag !
Originally Posted by gunner500

I have an old 351 SL with one 10 round mag in and two more piled up in a stack, it's Wifeys favorite house gun, 200 grain slugs at 1900 fps, our buddy CrimsonTide says a couple of those in the nipple would make a man bad sick. wink lol.

Sweet !.. I've always liked the kool factor of those old dinosaurs and from what I can see a 401 would be similar to a fast 41 Mag shooter ! grin

Woody
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Signal Corps got some 1907's in 1917 to use to shoot at other planes with from back seat of Curtiss JN 3's and 4's. French actually used a few in the Trenches. Czar allegedly bought some too! We dunno if they got used.

Founder

WS

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sweet !.. I've always liked the kool factor of those old dinosaurs and from what I can see a 401 would be a semi auto 41 Mag !
Originally Posted by gunner500

Sweet !.. I've always liked the kool factor of those old dinosaurs and from what I can see a 401 would be similar to a fast 41 Mag shooter ! grin

LOL, that'll work too Woody, my rifle is cow patty accurate out to 75 yards braced off a back porch post, no recoil at all, the old dinosaur sure is fun to shoot.

Trump Won!
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Signal Corps got some 1907's in 1917 to use to shoot at other planes with from back seat of Curtiss JN 3's and 4's. French actually used a few in the Trenches. Czar allegedly bought some too! We dunno if they got used.

Thinking they used the old 351's as guard tower guns at the prisons here in Okiehoma.

Trump Won!
T
tbear99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

never knew about the signal corps use in back seat of the curtiss. I knew about the french

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a 1905 in 32 SL, a 1907, and a 1910 with 2 original magazines. I haven't found a 35 SL 1905 in the condition I want at a price I'll pay but I have come close a couple of times. Gander Mountain in Duluth, MN had a couple but they were asking premium+ for rifles that were drilled and tapped, had missing sights, or serious cracks in the stock.

I lucked into a few boxes of Buffalo Bore 401 SL ammo at a gun show for dirt cheap as the vendor was tired of hauling them around. Another show I picked up some FMJ and lead bullets for reloading. In the early days I used 35 Rem brass as a base for the 401 but I noticed these last pieces are using 7.62x39 brass. I'll have blow a 7.62 Russian case out with COW one of these days and see how it fits.

The 351 uses 357 Maximum brass with the rims turned down and an extractor groove cut. I bought 500 pieces of 357 Max brass for future use and then found some already formed from Hutchinson or some such place. I don't shoot it much so the preformed brass should last me a while but I'll keep the Max brass as just in case. Bullets are the problem as they use .351" which is tough to find. I crammed .358" round nose lead bullets through a .352" sizer which work OK though the lube grooves are pretty small. I'll try powder coating one of these days.

The 32 SL originally had reformed 357 mag brass but I picked up some brass from the same place as I found the 351 brass. I don't have dies for my press and am forced to use a Rube Goldberg set up to make ammo. It is a pain so I don't shoot it very often.

I've taken the 1910 out hunting but haven't shot anything with it. Accuracy is pretty iffy so the shot must be close and have good tracking conditions. Last season would have been great but I filled my buck tag in a slug zone. If we could use straight case rifle cartridges in the slug zone I would use this rifle more.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well did you ever shoot anything with it, I finally rounded up my Jamison brass, some old 351 bullets from gun shows and some new cast bullets and some plated bullets from graff and sons, dies I got are redding brand from x reload in Canada.
Got new recoil spring from Wolff and just put rifle back together after an epic struggle.
DO NOT take it all the way apart.
Have to try out some
Loads soon.

Oh and bought a 10 round mag from triple k, although I do have two five round mags that are original.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the mags sell for almost more then the guns

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Partsman,

If you were talking to me, the answer is no, I haven't shot anything with the 1910 nor the '07 or '05. None of them even made it out of the safe during the fall.

The original 10 round magazines are definitely expensive, a gun store I visit sold one on Gunbroker in 351 WSL for $240. He offered it to me for $180 but I declined. I should have bought it but I could buy 4 replacement mags for that price.

I really regret not buying a Clement rifle last fall. It was the only other rifle chambered in 401 WSL and looks mighty modern compared to the 1910. I didn't have $1200 at the time and was reluctant to purchase as it did have a receiver sight added to it at some point. I haven't been back to the shop since then but if it is still there I will buy it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yep, was talking to you, I just reloaded some with the 180 graff and sons bullets, some with 180 CIL bullets and some with cast bullets, here is my collection of my old ammo.

[Linked Image]

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was a kid, about 50 years ago, Winchester 1907s were pretty common in the used gun rack in small town LGS throughout ME/NH/VT and there was plenty of REM/WIN 351 WSL ammo on the shelves.

My Father carried an M1 Carbine through most of his WW2 Pacific Theater service and felt that it would have been much more effect if it had been chambered in either 351 or 401 WSL.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I saw a post this week that mentioned a rimless 357 Max that is coming out soon. That would save having to turn rims off to make 351.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
123 members (32_20fan, 338reddog, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 754 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,893
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.