Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Read until you're heart is content; pick one of the better rust inhibitors and drive on.

This is my opinion and it is worth what you paid for it; some of these oils are a jack of all trades and master of none. I use Eezox and Corrosion X for rust protection, but I don't like them for lubes, or at least on AR's and semi-auto handguns, for this I use Slip2000. Even use it on my semi-auto hunting shotguns.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

http://ronkulas.proboards.com/thread/274/review-comparison-gun-care-products

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/7-303402/&page=1

Chit that's a bunch of information! Thanks for posting it.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have hardly used a gun β€œoil” in maybe 20 years. CorrosionX or Eezox for me. I have found that I like X better, since Phil clued it in on a past thread years ago.

I have a 10 year old bottle of Rem oil , used maybe twice, if that helps.... smile. It was given to me .....works well on fishing reels, tho

I don’t shoot a lot and clean less, but I do hunt in wet and below freezing conditions. Both dry to touch products clean, lube, and are very good rust preventatives- one product use. KISS

Last edited by las; 03/15/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I read somewhere that the big time dove outfitters in South America lube their Benellis and Berettas with diesel fuel. I have no direct knowledge of it's suitability. Vaseline is good for the bearing surfaces of double guns as well as for wiping down barrels. Not sure it would do well internally.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
BMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by JayJunem

How do you protect against rust?

Hornady HD

That's the stuff I now use. I used to use Eezox all the time, and then I saw some tests that showed Hornady HD doing the best of the many that were tested. Plus, it doesn't have nearly the pungent odor of Eezox.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Check out Fluid Film.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never used it much on my guns, but when my kids were kids, I used it on their Pine Block racers and kicked all kinds of Baptist azz at the AWANA racing event. My kids each took Firsts in their classes, and my wife and I took First and Third respectively in the Worker class. Everybody was pissed off, even the pastor, who had been a machinist in his previous career and thought he was a shoe-in. Definitely a "Dad Highlight". The boys still talk about it.

Years later, I passed on my ideas to a friend involved in the same event at another church, and they swept that event as well. Rem Oil was just part of why we won. I worked in the "pits" and used it on other kids's cars too, but the disgruntled competition was calling it "that illegal oil". So much for Christian amity.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Now that's an application I never heard of. Whoda thunk it?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Reloder28
All of these mad scientist potions remind of Grandpa Munster in his lab.

Have not put a single drop of oil on any of my many nice guns since 1976. Oil on a gun is a gumming agent.

Dyna-Tek Gun Shield kept my stainless M70 375 H&H fine after spending two weeks in the rains of SE Alaska and two dunks in the sea. The areas I missed when applying it rusted. Amazing stuff.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM

Have not put a single drop of oil on any of my many nice guns since 1976. Oil on a gun is a gumming agent.

Dyna-Tek Gun Shield kept my stainless M70 375 H&H fine after spending two weeks in the rains of SE Alaska and two dunks in the sea. The areas I missed when applying it rusted. Amazing stuff.

Interesting.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Fluid Film is used in the drilling industry to prevent rust. You can even buy it in 50 gal drums. It is lanolin based.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I don't really consider Kroil (love the stuff) as a lubricating oil necessarily. I only use it to penetrate carbon fouling. Maybe I'm wrong.

I agree, plus it really stinks.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Whatever I have needed RemOil to do, it has worked just fine...I don’t expect it to be grease but for thin coating it’s good by me.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Read until you're heart is content; pick one of the better rust inhibitors and drive on.

Duck thanks for these. I had seen some of the tests before but not altogether like this. It even shows which go best with Hot Dogs, pretty comprehensive.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Hoppe's #9 gun oil ? Clear, odorless, mineral oil. All "gun oil" is pretty damned pricy for what it is. I've used straight ATF for 30 years with no complaints. At work we use Mobil vactra oil #2 for lubing the pistols we build.

Wow, Vactra #2? That's some pretty thick and sticky stuff (relative to gun oil), although it's certainly good at staying put and a great lubricant. It's what I use on my mill and lathe machine ways.
It's also very good for lubing the rails of a 1911.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
my local wmt has rem oil but i haven't bought any gun oil for over 20 years. when i need gun oil i just grab a cup full of 10wt. drip oil we use here on the farm. i buy it in 55gal barrels.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I don't really consider Kroil (love the stuff) as a lubricating oil necessarily. I only use it to penetrate carbon fouling. Maybe I'm wrong.

Nope, it is a penetrating oil not a lubricating oil. I also want to know how someone can consider Mobil 1 a good gun oil. Unless they cycle their bolts 2000 times a minute. IMHO way too thick for a gun oil.

Regular gun oil like rem oil turns to grease at -10. 0-20 synthetic stays thin in lower temperatures and is thick enough to run at higher temps. Most old gun oils are just 10 wt dyno oil. Synthetic is where it’s at, I changed when I discovered my stuff was less than reliable at -20. I’m going to make my own brand that smells like cinnamon rolls.

Wouldn't effect me. If it's -10 degrees (or minus anything) I won't be out hunting or shooting.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Remove all fingerprints with a dry soft cloth. Never had any problems.

I guess you can get away with that if you don't live on the humid east coast.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mike74

Remove all fingerprints with a dry soft cloth. Never had any problems.

I guess you can get away with that if you don't live on the humid east coast.

Yep.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Well,I have some corrosion X and frog lube headed this way. We'll give those a look see.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Otter6
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009H1AM...&ie=UTF8&qid=1521107211&sr=1

Is this the stuff? If so,is it thin or sticky?

A reviewer said it’s not stick/gummy...I just ordered a bottle to try. I use Rem oil, works fine. I use CLP, works fine. Living is the land of saltwater and rust for 40 years, I know about rust protection. Keep firearms clean, dry, very lightly oiled and in a moisture free as possible environment.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
β€œMolon Labe”
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

712 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 69 invisible), 3,056 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,583
Posts18,454,227
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.