Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I'm looking at one of these in excellent condition. The seller wants 750.00 for it. Is this rifle worth it? Thanks for your feedback.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They are a very nice niche rifle, accurate and well made. Old school style and craftsmanship for the most part. I sold one a year ago for about that price but with a scope and rings, box etc. I bought mine for a good price, and they have gone up considerably since then. Take a look at GunBroker for completed auctions for a good current market.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would look for Remington 700 Mountain Rifle instead. Not sure if they were made in 6,5x55, but there were .270s, 7x57,....Looked over second-hand 7x57 and that would be head and shoulders above CZ-550. Another gem would be old Remington 600 in .243 or .308.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Lima, I have the same rifle and it has been one of the most accurate rifles that I've owned. The fit and finish is good and feeding and extraction has been flawless. It's a bit on the heavy side but I've carried it day after day deer hunting without passing out from the strain! I mounted a Leupold 1x4 on it .I also own two Remington mountain rifles ,which I like,but as far as head and shoulders above the CZ,that's BS!

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
^^^^This^^^^

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by limabean
I'm looking at one of these in excellent condition. The seller wants 750.00 for it. Is this rifle worth it? Thanks for your feedback.

Yes every bit of $ 750.. The 700 Rem doesn't even come close with quality and fit !

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I/ve owned the CZ 550 FS in 6.55 x55, 308 Win and 9.3 x 62. Have also owned the 93 x 62 in the half stock version among others. They are fine accurate rifles. The $750 price is right in line, but if you pay tax or have to pay to have it shipped or use the services of an FFL that will put you up close to $800. At that price point you most likely will not recover your initial investment or make a profit when and if you should sell.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Autofive
Lima, I have the same rifle and it has been one of the most accurate rifles that I've owned. The fit and finish is good and feeding and extraction has been flawless. It's a bit on the heavy side but I've carried it day after day deer hunting without passing out from the strain! I mounted a Leupold 1x4 on it .I also own two Remington mountain rifles ,which I like,but as far as head and shoulders above the CZ,that's BS!

Totally agree with this. I've had one since 1999. Paid just under 5 bills for it new back then. Super accurate with 2 factory (0.75" and 0.5") and my handloads (0.5"). Single set trigger is awesome. It is a tad on the heavy side but the quality and accuracy more than make up for it. Mine currently wears a Burris Signature 2-8x32 in Talley QD rings.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by geedubya
I/ve owned the CZ 550 FS in 6.55 x55, 308 Win and 9.3 x 62. Have also owned the 93 x 62 in the half stock version among others. They are fine accurate rifles. The $750 price is right in line, but if you pay tax or have to pay to have it shipped or use the services of an FFL that will put you up close to $800. At that price point you most likely will not recover your initial investment or make a profit when and if you should sell.

ya!

GWB

Having had several successful hunts with this rifle and more than adequate range time for the price it outclasses almost anything else IMO.The adjustable trigger on a stock rifle is definitely a big deal as well. The only disadvantage if any for some is a little extra weight to tote around but the trade off is well worth it .I get a real charge out of the Creed koolaid these days when this old standby does everything at least as good or better..My SIL put together a sweet Creed last year with all the bells and whistles but found out the hard way this stock CZ will shoot right with it in all bullet weights and a tad faster..The younger generations think us old farts don't know our stuff !..laffin

Woody
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Pm me the sellers name and number .thanks

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for the responses. I have a few cz rimfire and they are great guns but haven't had a centerfield yet.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Cool rifle. I'd take the giant front sight hood off.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I had one a few years ago but traded it in a weak moment. I agree with all the positive comments above and will reiterate that it is not a light rifle. One thing you may want to check out is the fit of the stock. The European shaped curved butt stock placed my eye lower on the stock than I liked it to be. I think the stock is shaped for use with open sights. You would probably want to mount a scope as low as possible.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
For anyone interested, Coyote Creek Outfitters in Rochester, NH, had one with a Shepard's scope sitting in the rack a few days ago. I think the price was around $850.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DollarShort
Cool rifle. I'd take the giant front sight hood off.

Since it has no effect on the optics I just like the added protection..

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eblake
I had one a few years ago but traded it in a weak moment. I agree with all the positive comments above and will reiterate that it is not a light rifle. One thing you may want to check out is the fit of the stock. The European shaped curved butt stock placed my eye lower on the stock than I liked it to be. I think the stock is shaped for use with open sights. You would probably want to mount a scope as low as possible.

Excellent point and spot on !

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Worth about that, yes. I had one in 6.5x55 for a few years, put NECG peep on it. A neat gun, as mentioned above it has robust old-world build quality. Neat rifle. However, it's a little heavy for it, and I always felt that it was a better marriage in 9.3x62 than in the sweet but diminutive 6.5x55. Just something to consider.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I flat out love mine in 9.3 ...

Price is in the ballpark

If the FS tickles your fancy , you won't be disappointed. Lots of features on these rifles you just don't get elsewhere for the money .

[Linked Image]

I now take this moment to snicker at the earlier "get a 700" post .

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
ya!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/13/18.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice!!

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,613
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.