Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I used to own 7mag, 7 weatherby mag, 300 mag and 338. All killed elk... but no better than my 3006.

The worst rodeos I had were with folks shooting my magnums vs the 06, seems they are just harder to control the shot in field conditions with less experienced shooters.

Those guns are gone, now my 'here shoot that elk' guns are my savage 99 308 and Tikka 708. My 3006 had a long run of elk and deer, best year it killed 4 elk. But it has sat for years now and I may make it into a 6.5 284.

Kent

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by krp
I used to own 7mag, 7 weatherby mag, 300 mag and 338. All killed elk... but no better than my 3006.

The worst rodeos I had were with folks shooting my magnums vs the 06, seems they are just harder to control the shot in field conditions with less experienced shooters.

Those guns are gone, now my 'here shoot that elk' guns are my savage 99 308 and Tikka 708. My 3006 had a long run of elk and deer, best year it killed 4 elk. But it has sat for years now and I may make it into a 6.5 284.

Kent

kent
i have a savage 99 lightweight in .308 sitting in the gunplace. It was built in the 60's and i don't think it's had a box of shells through it. not a scratch on it. about once a year i take it out, oil it up, and say i am gonna put a sling on it and scope it, then, naw, it goes back in the case.
sat in a closet for many years in sun city.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Ron I'd love to see it someday.

The 99 was my first rifle I bought, dad found it in the paper for 100 bucks, it came with a 4x redfield wide angle. I used my high school summer ranching money. Killed my first buck with it in Tonto basin above the old Bouquet ranch ruins... He was my biggest buck, no pictures or rack, back then the old boys that taught me the outdoors didn't bother with that, I remember them bringing back large Kaibab bucks and tossing the heads out at the corrals for the dogs to drag off and chew on. Damn trophy hunters would have a heart attack now days.

Anyway that buck jumped out below me and was crossing a low ridge running full out broadside, at around 200 yards he was between junipers and I swung on him like shooting quail and fired before he disappeared over the edge and around a tree. Thought I missed and pissed, crossed over to check for blood and he was piled up on the other side of that juniper, high shoulder shot dumped him... that 99 killed a bunch of deer after that.

Like a dummy I sold that 99 after buying all those other 'better' guns. Then Enrique had an old one that I bought and setup simular. In 2010 I drew a leftover Hopi cow tag. I loaded 150gn hndy gmx, same as a barnes ttsx, to 2650mv... just because some folks say you can't kill an elk without 'knock down power'... Shot her at 175 yards, high shoulder and dumped her DRT no finishing shot needed.

Kent

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I too have a Savage 99....yes in .308 Winchester.....after some repair to the extractor it functions very well and is quite accurate. My father willed it to me when he departed this world over 25 years ago. It hasn't been fired since.....and it's a presentation grade gun. Maybe it's time to put it to good use!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my son and I have killed a bunch of elk some during the rifle season but many during the bow season,some were big bulls with the bow and arrow and believe me if my bow can kill a 375 b.c. bull with an arrow,son got bigger bull this fall with his bow and arrow too.then really any of those rifle cartrigdes will work easier at much longer distances but if I was to make a choice I would just use a simple 30-06. good luck to all

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
I’d take a 6.5 Creedmoor using 127 Barnes LRX bullets. Far easier to shoot at distance than any mentioned, kills every bit as well (probably better past 400) and leaves no lead in that wonderful cow elk meat. Recoil is so much less as to almost be a winning criterion in and of itself.

I’m pretty sure you misunderstood the question laugh

I understood the question perfectly.

My answer reflects my opinion, which is that if I am at the time in my hunting career where I'm picking cow elk off a ranch from a lawn chair, I will certainly be at point in my career where I would not want to shoot any rifle/cartridge combo that has more recoil than necessary. I'd sell off a rifle or two of those mentioned and get an accurate 6.5 Creedmoor to replace them. I'd find a load for that 127 LRX (not too hard to do) and fill the freezer with good, wholesome, healthy meat for the family.

Elk makes good tacos.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 03/11/18.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by seattlesetters

I understood the question perfectly.

My answer reflects my opinion, which is that if I am at the time in my hunting career where I'm picking cow elk off a ranch from a lawn chair, I will certainly be at point in my career where I would not want to shoot any rifle/cartridge combo that has more recoil than necessary. I'd sell off a rifle or two of those mentioned and get an accurate 6.5 Creedmoor to replace them. I'd find a load for that 127 LRX (not too hard to do) and fill the freezer with good, wholesome, healthy meat for the family.

Elk makes good tacos.

So the man asks our opinion as to which one of his four, a .30-06, .300 H&H, 9.3 X 62 and a .375 H&H... and your answer is 6.5 Creedmoor.

I'd say you definitely misunderstood the question...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by vapodog
I m bent on using monometals as it's a requirement of the ranch

30-06 / 150 TTSX

No wrong choices of the rifles listed, but I agree with Brad. My 30-06 likes 165 TTSXs and would use that. But if 150s were the most accurate in my rifle, I'd not hesitate.

Funny thread.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, it is--particularly since the original question was which rifle to pick of four, and when several people with actual elk experience suggested the .30-06, the OP said he really wanted to use the .300 H&H or 9.3x62. So why did he ask the question in the first place?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, it is--particularly since the original question was which rifle to pick of four, and when several people with actual elk experience suggested the .30-06, the OP said he really wanted to use the .300 H&H or 9.3x62. So why did he ask the question in the first place?

For much the same reason I started this thread

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...most-popular-gun-ever-built#Post12700132

except that this thread in elk hunting had the extra benefit that I might actually learn something.....and I have.....that my .270 Winchester just might be added to the list based on the number of posts about lesser calibers.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, because you're a rifle loony!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm glad he started the thread, it gave Adams a chance to regale us and explain the "rule" on ft-lbs required for quartering shots.

You can't get that kind of information anywhere else.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by krp
Ron I'd love to see it someday.

The 99 was my first rifle I bought, dad found it in the paper for 100 bucks, it came with a 4x redfield wide angle. I used my high school summer ranching money. Killed my first buck with it in Tonto basin above the old Bouquet ranch ruins... He was my biggest buck, no pictures or rack, back then the old boys that taught me the outdoors didn't bother with that, I remember them bringing back large Kaibab bucks and tossing the heads out at the corrals for the dogs to drag off and chew on. Damn trophy hunters would have a heart attack now days.

Anyway that buck jumped out below me and was crossing a low ridge running full out broadside, at around 200 yards he was between junipers and I swung on him like shooting quail and fired before he disappeared over the edge and around a tree. Thought I missed and pissed, crossed over to check for blood and he was piled up on the other side of that juniper, high shoulder shot dumped him... that 99 killed a bunch of deer after that.

Like a dummy I sold that 99 after buying all those other 'better' guns. Then Enrique had an old one that I bought and setup simular. In 2010 I drew a leftover Hopi cow tag. I loaded 150gn hndy gmx, same as a barnes ttsx, to 2650mv... just because some folks say you can't kill an elk without 'knock down power'... Shot her at 175 yards, high shoulder and dumped her DRT no finishing shot needed.

Kent

Back in my college days in the 1950s in NYC, when I had no money and no place to hunt, and not much expectation of either, I used to haunt the old Abercrombie & Fitch store on Madison Avenue. They had bunches of Savage 99s that appealed to me greatly since there were so few LH rifles back then.

Years later and having had the ability to get a few guns, I wonder why I never followed through on that one. crazy

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I'd use the 30/06 my great uncle built me.

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep, because you're a rifle loony!

does a rifle loony make stuff like this?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...slightly-modified-to-17-hm2#Post12717101

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
300 HH, hands down, the 06 is a great cartridge, but as I have stated I moved up to a 300 mag, long ago, the HH has been around for ever, and it works. 180 or 200 gr, sight in for 300 yards, and that gives you a back line hold at 400. I used to do the same for my old man when he was still alive and he would end up with an elk now and then.

Last edited by Elkmen; 03/20/18.
N
N
I haven’t read the entire thread...so 308 vs. 30-06 when hunting elk? To me, either is sufficient, just wanting to know who likes which.

You better bring yours if you come to take mine
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Elkmen
300 HH, hands down, the 06 is a great cartridge, but as I have stated I moved up to a 300 mag, long ago, the HH has been around for ever, and it works. 180 or 200 gr, sight in for 300 yards, and that gives you a back line hold at 400. I used to do the same for my old man when he was still alive and he would end up with an elk now and then.

I truly like my Remington 721 in .300 H&H....but it was having trouble with sticky bolt lift and case separation....It also wouldn't group well with max loads....I was four grains down from max before it grouped well.

I bit the bullet and removed the barrel....(a lot easier said than done)...then remachined the barrel by removing one full thread (1/16th") and rented a chambering reamer to remachine the chamber to minimal headspace..,...a lot of work to resurrect an old workhorse. I also bobbed the barrel from 26" to 24 " and gave it an 11 deg crown like the Winchesters and added a Williams streamlined ramp front sight. It got a complete repolish and will be headed for a re bluing tank soon. I sure hope it worth all this.....but as they say....life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.

Last edited by vapodog; 03/26/18.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,452
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.