-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Daughter and Son-in-law purchased 160 wooded acres near Silver Cliff just west of Athelstane in Wisconsin.
He doesn't hunt but invited me to hunt on the property. I've been told by the neighbors in the area that deer hunting
has been fairly bad the last five years or so. The Wi. DNR says that it is coming back in that area. I'm going to set some trail cams
and see what it looks like. Might do some bow and rifle hunting there.

I have decent hunting land south of there in farm country but another spot to try might be nice to have.

Anyone here hunt in that area that could give me any info would be appreciated.............

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Chainsaw, if you have farm country to hunt in Wisconsin as an option, I sure wouldn't waste my time in the Silver Cliff area. That is lots of the Nicolet National Forest area and primarily old growth maple with some mature poplar and pine thrown in. Beautiful in the fall, but damned poor for deer. Sweetness has 80 undeveloped acres off County C about 12 miles east of Wabeno and since the flu took me to my knees during November, I didn't go where I usually do up in the north west part of the state, so I hunted the 80 instead. I saw three deer in five days dark to dark and the neighbor gunned one of them as soon as it walked off the property. Don't get too excited about the heads that you see at Jungle Jim's either because they didn't come from there. We had five of us hunting that Althelstane area, me on the 80 and those others off County A on private land. They got one very pathetic 18 month old barely legal (that tells you about the genetics) spike, two does and a thin, basket rack 9. That 9 was the biggest racked buck that they ever shot up there and it was little more than a meat deer. The Indians can and do hunt deer up there when ever they want to and they bait them onto their private land. I've talked to a life long bow hunter up there and while he has a few nice ones, he says that the soil and browse in Forest County changes as soon as you get closer to 141 in Marinette County and that the herd quality is much better over there. I've got a place in Marinette County and hunted there lots as a kid and because it was logged for pulp, the regenerated poplar was a terrific food source and I shot a lot of deer there, though nothing huge or over 200# dressed and 3.5 years old.

It takes three things to grow a nice buck. Food, age and genetics and you won't find much of any of them in the Silver Cliff area. Maybe an old one if you crawl way back in the Nicolet somewhere, but there was virtually no shooting within ear shot even opening day, so that tells me that darn few guys were wasting their time or moving any deer around.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Windfall is right. The area is what I call sand country. If there isn't farmland there it is lousy hunting. The winter was mild in the northeast part of the state though. The snow is all but gone there but where I have land in Price co. there is still about 14".

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Sounds like planting food sources if the land can be tilled will help a bleak situation.

Trail search and cameras will tell the tale.

I may be wrong, but I think 160 acres will have some local (resident) deer and then you will also have to depend on transients.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Beautiful country, but IMO has really gone down hill over the past 10 years. With the doe tag fiasco a few years back and hard winters of late, it just isn't the same around there.

I have hunted all over that area off Parkway, Thunder Mountain, Highway C, Boat landings, etc and echo Windfall's statement. The last few years we have been hunting south of that area off 64 in more of the farm country and have been much more successful.

I would definitely still give his property a shot, you never know.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Curious as to you exact location. My Family hunted that area from the late 60s to late 90s all public land. Still have a cottage off HWY C and Tower road.I will also echo Windfalls post.

Used to be a ton of deer considering it is marginal deer habitat. Used to log the area extensively. New growth kept the deer fed and acorns were plentiful in the oaks that were not cut. Mid to late 90s things just got ugly up there.
Logging slowed way down, hard winters, gypsy moths decimated the oak trees, DNR sold doe tags by tens of thousands, and the predator population exploded.

Needless to say the population just crashed. Has not been the same since. We might have a couple years that give a glimmer of hope but all it takes is one bad winter to put us back at square one again. Honestly I don't think the deer population will ever recover to what it once was.

Before my hunting career started my dad and grandfather hunted the early 70s to early 80s time frame. It was almost impossible to get a doe tag. Coyotes were actively hunted wolves did not exist in any numbers. Bear population was a very small percentage of what it is now. Logging was non stop. As long as you did a a bit of scouting you could find a deer hot spot. No BS seeing 50 plus deer before lunch was common. Of course they were all does. For whatever reason they has always seemed to be a huge number of does for every buck. And not a lot of big bucks. Spikes and forks the occasional little basket rack. Mature deer though. Some monster spike bucks seen and shot over the years pushing three hundred pounds. We never got any big racked bucks but every year the occasional monster would be shot in the area. Genetics suck plain and simple.

Still have a friend who has hunted every year up there. I have not since around 2005 or so. He sees five or six deer during the season. He hunts public and knows how to hunt. He is on the best spot he can find within reasonable driving distance from his cottage. Used to run a crew of about a dozen guys. They would routinely tag out by third or fourth day of the season hunting same general areas.

Now we get to the other problem up there. Baiting. I have no problem with it. Legal you want to do it fine. I have done it. But it has made hunting more difficult for all hunters even those that are hunting over the bait. When there are lots of deer competing for food they are moving around or if the food is hard to come by even a few deer will be out looking all the time.

Take small deer population and baitpiles in a area of minimal natural food deer movement drops way off. Deer in a particular area will find a bait site and move very little. Typically they will bed down in the thickest cover closest to the best bait pile in an area and not move til dark.

Sorry to paint a bleak picture. I have this to say about the area. It is a great if you want to hunt a deer. If you want to shoot one or for that matter see one there are better options.

I still love to bum around the area with a spinning rod and a large caliber handgun, chasing brook trout in the numerous creeks. I do fairly well.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
Curious as to you exact location. My Family hunted that area from the late 60s to late 90s all public land. Still have a cottage off HWY C and Tower road.I will also echo Windfalls post.

Used to be a ton of deer considering it is marginal deer habitat. Used to log the area extensively. New growth kept the deer fed and acorns were plentiful in the oaks that were not cut. Mid to late 90s things just got ugly up there.
Logging slowed way down, hard winters, gypsy moths decimated the oak trees, DNR sold doe tags by tens of thousands, and the predator population exploded.

Needless to say the population just crashed. Has not been the same since. We might have a couple years that give a glimmer of hope but all it takes is one bad winter to put us back at square one again. Honestly I don't think the deer population will ever recover to what it once was.

Before my hunting career started my dad and grandfather hunted the early 70s to early 80s time frame. It was almost impossible to get a doe tag. Coyotes were actively hunted wolves did not exist in any numbers. Bear population was a very small percentage of what it is now. Logging was non stop. As long as you did a a bit of scouting you could find a deer hot spot. No BS seeing 50 plus deer before lunch was common. Of course they were all does. For whatever reason they has always seemed to be a huge number of does for every buck. And not a lot of big bucks. Spikes and forks the occasional little basket rack. Mature deer though. Some monster spike bucks seen and shot over the years pushing three hundred pounds. We never got any big racked bucks but every year the occasional monster would be shot in the area. Genetics suck plain and simple.

Still have a friend who has hunted every year up there. I have not since around 2005 or so. He sees five or six deer during the season. He hunts public and knows how to hunt. He is on the best spot he can find within reasonable driving distance from his cottage. Used to run a crew of about a dozen guys. They would routinely tag out by third or fourth day of the season hunting same general areas.

Now we get to the other problem up there. Baiting. I have no problem with it. Legal you want to do it fine. I have done it. But it has made hunting more difficult for all hunters even those that are hunting over the bait. When there are lots of deer competing for food they are moving around or if the food is hard to come by even a few deer will be out looking all the time.

Take small deer population and baitpiles in a area of minimal natural food deer movement drops way off. Deer in a particular area will find a bait site and move very little. Typically they will bed down in the thickest cover closest to the best bait pile in an area and not move til dark.

Sorry to paint a bleak picture. I have this to say about the area. It is a great if you want to hunt a deer. If you want to shoot one or for that matter see one there are better options.

I still love to bum around the area with a spinning rod and a large caliber handgun, chasing brook trout in the numerous creeks. I do fairly well.

ThisPost: 100% on the AccuracyMeter

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Spikes and forks the occasional little basket rack. Mature deer though. Some monster spike bucks seen and shot over the years pushing three hundred pounds.

You got any pics of these 300 pound spike bucks? Trail cam or tailgate pics will do.

Hell, I'd like to see a pic of a 150 pound spike buck. Have any of those?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Spikes and forks the occasional little basket rack. Mature deer though. Some monster spike bucks seen and shot over the years pushing three hundred pounds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Before digital pics will have to do some serious digging for pics. I am talking live weight. Dress weights of 235 to 260. Definite a lot of bucks in the area fit the rule of once a spike always a spike. A lot of them were just legal when shot probable had a few years to grow before they were a legal buck. Spikes have to be over three inches to use a buck tag. Don't think we got one ever over about four and a half maybe five inches.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Sorry, not a lot of truth in any of this.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A fella could sure use a pair of binoculars to make out them spike bucks from the does.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Before digital pics will have to do some serious digging for pics. .

Dig away man. I'll be here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Beautiful country up there. I used to do a lot trout fishing hunting for woodcock and grouse in the 80's and 90's

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
No question it’s God’s country down there.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The area is north of Hwy F just off of Hwy C near Harper Road.

I guess I expected a somewhat dismal report on the area, as I have talked with the neighbors, and they don't have much positive info on the deer situation either.

I'll put out some trail cams and see what happens. I'll post the results in this forum.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've hunted all over WI for about 20 years. I've never talked to a hunter in that time that was happy with the hunting situation. grin Ok, ok...me included at time. But when I hunted WI for the first time I was amazed at how many deer I saw. In MN where we hunted at the time, we would see 1 or 2 a year and it would be successful. The first day in WI I saw 5 including the first buck I ever passed up. I thought it was heaven. That was in the Park Falls area at the time.

Despite the negative reports from the area, my son and I have been hunting in Douglass County for the last 4 years and it's been fantastic.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Chainsaw
The area is north of Hwy F just off of Hwy C near Harper Road.

I guess I expected a somewhat dismal report on the area, as I have talked with the neighbors, and they don't have much positive info on the deer situation either.

I'll put out some trail cams and see what happens. I'll post the results in this forum.

That's what I would do. Especially if I didn't know the neighbors. I'll be damned if I'm going to let a guy I barely know that the hunting "around here" is fantastic. lol

Take a run up there in a few weeks and run some deer trails, look for some sheds, check the swamp edges for rubs....you know the drill.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't profess to know that area like some of the locals, but we spend a lot of time up there on the four wheelers and my trail bikes and as a life long deer hunter, I figure that I know deer sign and country pretty well. You can't find a decent size buck rub or even a scrape where there should be some and I see as many coyote tracks as deer tracks. One of the neighbors up there hosts bear hunters and they know that big forest country really well and they went zero for five guys this last deer season.

Oh and for sale by owner: 80 unspoiled undeveloped acres with gated access off County Road C with walking trails through beautiful mature hardwoods, surrounded by the Nicolet National Forest wide open for hunting, fishing, trail riding and exploring. Nice high, well drained, secluded building sites perfect for building the cabin of your dreams and further development.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We hunt east of 141 from Wausaukee up to Goodman. Deer numbers are up lately, the T-zones in early 2000's hurt the northern forest region of the area. There are still hunters on the state/county land in the area, but pressure sure is less that when I started hunting the area 20 years ago. County & State have been logging in the area and that's been helping the deer and grouse also. It's certainly not a "trophy" area, there are big bucks shot each year still. Lots has changed though, virtually no deer drives, baiting is rampant, and what hunters there are on public land there attitudes have changed from happy to be here and see deer to "thanks for f'ing up MY hunting area kind of guys.

I'm middle aged, and certainly the youngest hunter that I'm running into in the woods anymore. It's sad to see, but this isn't an area, that you are typically going to walk into the woods, sit down and be successful right away in. I like that sort of challenge, it seems however, that "challenge" is lost on the younger generations.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,638
Posts18,455,306
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.