Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Im liking the RRA Varmint. can get em for $89 shipped. Have a couple of them and no complaints thus far.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
LaRue

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I'm officially sold on the Larue. Got mine installed the other day, first pull at 3lbs, 2nd at 1 1/2. The break feels different from the ssa-e I have and love...but for 100 bucks less. If you've never shot a ssa-e you'd never know the difference in how the break feels. The take up on the ssa-e is a pound lighter, but I'm more worried about the break and last pull. Save some money and go with the Larue.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like my Rock River Varmint triggers

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I had a Geissele S3G trigger that would routinely double if I was shooting from awkward positions. It wasn't a trigger malfunction, it was just that the trigger lent itself to bump firing.

Just got in a Daniel Defense with the same trigger installed from factory. Took it to the range this weekend and it was doing exact same thing to me.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Some folks are much more prone to doubling than others are. Have a brother in law that does it almost every time he fires an M1 Garand.

As noted its not really a trigger issue, other than you may not be able to use it as set, you may have to set it differently.

Not all that uncommon at times actually from what I've seen. And tuned up single stage factory triggers were worse about it than anything I've seen on the AR.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by killerv
I'm officially sold on the Larue. Got mine installed the other day, first pull at 3lbs, 2nd at 1 1/2. The break feels different from the ssa-e I have and love...but for 100 bucks less. If you've never shot a ssa-e you'd never know the difference in how the break feels. The take up on the ssa-e is a pound lighter, but I'm more worried about the break and last pull. Save some money and go with the Larue.

Last 64 dollar RRA varmint I had( on sale) came in at about 2.5 and 1.0 on the breaks....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I see Geissele has a new single stage trigger set at 3.5 lbs for those who don't like 2 stages.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by killerv

Last 64 dollar RRA varmint I had( on sale) came in at about 2.5 and 1.0 on the breaks....

Jeff,

Was that with or without tweaking it?

What do you do when you "tweak" those triggers?

I was about to buy another Geissele SSA-E... grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Last one was without. Had a bit of creep but good enough for non match.

Bend springs and a bit of stoning sometimes. Replace rivet one some.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some triggers require more discipline than others.

For instance, shooting subguns gets one in the bad habit of immediately releasing the trigger once it has been pulled. This can cause bump fires with some triggers. To break this, practice holding the trigger back and concentrate on releasing it.

A good rapid fire cadence is to shoot, listen for the action to cycle, THEN fully release the trigger and begin your next pull. As opposed to a "bang-pull" cadence where you never fully release the trigger. Practice the former method enough and you can get to a proper trophy-trigger method.

When it comes to sloppy trigger control in rapid fire, I find 2-stage triggers are easier to manage than a light single stage. A 2 stage can be treated like a heavy single stage, but a light single stage can never be treated like anything other than a light single stage. smile

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Purchased a Ruger Elite 452 for one of my ARs. Vast improvement over the standard trigger.for about $100. Better trigger than I'll ever need.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks to several people who chimed in, I ordered the LaRue MBT on March 1st for the $99 "I got plenty of time" special price. It finally arrived on Wednesday, and I put it in last night. Only dry fired so far, but it's as good of a trigger pull as I could ever want. Thanks for all the help.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Heck I thought everyone figured out trophy trigger and that was the only way to run em in rapids.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by seven_miller
Thanks to several people who chimed in, I ordered the LaRue MBT on March 1st for the $99 "I got plenty of time" special price. It finally arrived on Wednesday, and I put it in last night. Only dry fired so far, but it's as good of a trigger pull as I could ever want. Thanks for all the help.

If you have trigger OCD like many of us do, your groups will drastically improve with a good trigger. Im sure that Larue is a pretty good one. Are you still thinking about changing out the scope too? If its shooting as good as you say, you should put something with a little higher magnification on there and shoot the black rifle challenge.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I actually did swap out a Cabela's (Conquest) 4.5-14x44 that I found in the bargain cave for only ~$365 after tax. Gonna go give it a whirl this afternoon.

I don't really know what the black rifle challenge is. I've seen the thread, but never had the interest to delve into such a long thread that I probably have no business in. I can't post pictures from my phone because they're too big, and don't have a PC anymore because I really don't need one these days. I'd have to go to the library just to print out the targets. And besides, aren't there several companies that make guaranteed half-inch AR's? I doubt my Heinz 57 rifle would be competitive...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It might be. My mutt rifle out shoots my Noveske. Sometimes the ones you put together yourself, shoot just as good or better than a high dollar factory rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
never had a factory put together gun really. Have had folks like White Oak provide parts though.

Have never been wanting for accuracy.

YMMV.

I may not know what I've been missing, but I never was really upset with how far wife and I got in service rifle matches.....

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 49 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.