-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I recently bought a Dakota Model 76 in 7mm Dakota, and would like to not beat up the beautiful factory stock.So like to put it in a Micky.

I've heard that a model 70 works ??

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Tony

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Call McM.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have, hence the confusion and question.

I'd like to hear from someone who has done one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hicountry, I had HCR re-stock one of my 76 Dakota's years ago. They dropped it in a McMillan Winchester Supergrade patterned stock. However, I'm not sure if the Dakota action and Model 70 action share the exact same footprint for a drop in fit. Not sure if McMillan might have answered that for you already.

If you'd like I can try and take a couple of pics of my rifle tonight when I get home from work.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I would appreciate the pics

I talked to 2 different guys at Mcmillan, and they told me 2 different things.

I usually bed my own rifles, but I don't know how many mods, if any, need to be made to the stock to fit.

Thanks,

Tony

Last edited by hicountry; 03/16/18.
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by hicountry
I have, hence the confusion and question.

I'd like to hear from someone who has done one.

Not a Dakota, but a 7MM Mashburn Super built on a pre-64 H&H magnum action, send them the barreled action, for the build, bed and custom length of pull, you've got plenty of time to hunt it this fall if you send it now. smile

Good Luck.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hc, here you go...Model 76 in .300 Dakota

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful, rifle

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The recoil lug is in a different location on the 76. Dimensions are close but not a drop in. If you hog out a M70 stock for a M76 then the reinforcement behind the lug needs to be re-done. I know they are not as popular as Mickeys but MPI has an exact duplicate of the Early Dakota stock. At one time Dakota was using MPI stocks. Yes I have seen the Popsicle stick photos and still would get one. They have some good light weight options and even can make a mannlicher version which would be nifty on the Dakota "K" action. ( Kurtz or Alpine)

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hicountry
Beautiful, rifle

Thanks!

Another suggestion is perhaps you could contact Ric Bin owner of this site as he sells McMillans and tell him what you need.

Hill Country Rifles builds their DGR guns on Dakota 76 actions and McMillan stocks. I don't understand what McMillans confusion would be...but then nothing surprises me anymore. They should have the inlet program just based on the stocks they supply for HCR that use the 76 action. I would think they do a fair number of stocks for these rifles for HCR every year.

Last edited by MasterBlaster; 03/16/18.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Tejano, great information on MPI.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Masterblaster,

Thats what I thought, re McMillan.

I would think that they would have an inlet prgm.

I'm going to call Micky, and MPI next week, and compare notes.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Probably pricey but Hill Country could fix you up with their version of the McMillan High Country stock or the Echols stock with the right inlet. James Earl Bridges (I thinK) used to work at Hill Country and he has a very nice personal design he can fit to a Dakota I think it is slightly different than the Hill Country as he kept the rights to the molds.

Brown and some others will do it but only if you are paying for full in-letting and finishing.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another option might be to call Dakota about their house brand glass stock. I know some people order their rifle with a fancy wood stock and then get a synthetic for bad weather or rough use. When I asked them about this they said they would need to refinish the rifle if they bedded it. I think they full length nuetral bed with nothing on the barrel. Mine has the oxide finish so still not sure why a refinish would be needed. But the cost of stock, stock bedding and refinish turned me off of the idea.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Going to try something...

Ordered a B&C medalist, for a model 70.

I'll see WTF the deal is really quick.

If I F up the stock making mods, I'll only be out couple of Franklin's.

Have done stock work before, so no biggie.

Plus, if I have to hog out the recoil lug area, as some have said, I'll still have the metal bedding block to work with.

Tune in, I should know shortly.....lol

Tony

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 58 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,437
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.