Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I just saw on TV the land rover commercial showing a climb up rock steps in China. Since I don't have any stairs available to test, can anyone tell me how difficult it is to climb steps with a 4WD? it doesn't appear to me that it should be very difficult.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
it's a PIA, basically you have to have enough toque to the ground to climb over a wheel chock. Then either even traction or a locking diff. so tires don't spin. Gravity is a bitch to overcome. this is a situation where a larger tire is huge advantage.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw a recent list of Worst Vehicles and LandRover made the list behind Jeep.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, I tried a Land Rover, won't make that mistake again. Bought a new 1995 Discovery, kept it 5 yrs, about 95K miles. Everything that could leak did. Intake manifold gasket (twice), oil pan gasket, front and rear differential seals, front drive swivel pin housings, Yada Yada yada. Hoses rotted out, dashboard warped, the Lucas electrics still had bakelite insulated connectors. A real shame because the basic design and capabilities were really good, was a great truck when it wasn't in the shop, best vehicle ever on snowy roads, BUT material choices and assembly really sucked.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
it's a PIA, basically you have to have enough toque to the ground to climb over a wheel chock. Then either even traction or a locking diff. so tires don't spin. Gravity is a bitch to overcome. this is a situation where a larger tire is huge advantage.

Yup - Torque, traction and throttle control - you want a slow throttle tip in to go up fairly smoothly. Not the application for a quick throttle response. Look at the guys and rigs doing rock crawling, same thing, stairs are just even/consistent.

Tricky part is getting on and off the stairs. Front and rear overhangs have to be short enough not to drag getting on the stairs, and your ground clearance and breakover angles need to get you off the stairs onto flat ground at the top without hanging up.

Last edited by MikeL2; 03/15/18.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I buy the April Auto test issue of Consumer Reports and they had very little good to say about any of the six Land Rover models listed. Overall score ranged from 39 to 55 out f 100 with every one tagged as much worse than average in predicted reliability. The Toyota Highlander and Land Cruiser both scored 87 and 75 as a comparison. Of the 20 Toyota's tested, 15 of them were "Recommended" and only the Tacoma didn't rate much better than average for reliability. A Land Rover sure wouldn't be on my must have list.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Maybe the most important thing in a stair climb would be having a wheelbase that had either the front or the rear climbing a stair, but not both. If both front and rear need to climb at the same time, surprisingly small obstacles can stop you.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, come on guys. I see it in the movies all the time. You don't even need a 4x4.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
....long time ago there was a guy that rode his motorcycle up an interior stairwell in my college dorm...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Yeah, I tried a Land Rover, won't make that mistake again. Bought a new 1995 Discovery, kept it 5 yrs, about 95K miles. Everything that could leak did.

Why don't the Brits make computers?

They can't figure out how to make them leak fluid.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1badf350, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222ND, 63 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.