Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Fellas,

Hope all is well with you there in the North.

I'll be making my move soon, however not until I have a few things in order...like a good job.

I'm a builder with 30+ years of residential building experience and I am looking to make contact with other building companies, or individuals in the trade.

Wondering if those of you in the know would be willing to pass along to me some contacts that might be looking to hire a reliable, knowledgable, hard worker, who can pass a drug test and show up early and put his skills to use..

Thanks

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What part of the state will you be in?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I'll be hunting and trapping in Unit 19.

I'll be living and working where that provision is found.

I am going to have to fly back in to the cabin in 19 anyway, so that being what it is I suppose the closer the better, but more importantly would be to find a good builder who has a good rep, pays his men well, and be located in an area that has the work demands.

Talked wirh a builder today near Wasilla, he's a commercial building guy, apartments, nursing homes, that sort of thing
He's looking for me to give him a call next month as he has a large job and could use my help. He's running about 40 men now. He offered me the time off to run my line, and that's what I need.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This guy is usually looking for packers. That's a guy who can carry moose meat. He pays damn good; if you can be pleasant in all kinds of weather.

http://www.renfroalaskanadventures.com/

MOLON LABE

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Thank you.

If I'm not mistaken, would that only be about 2 months of packing/work.?

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He needs fishing guides throughout the summer as well. Can you catch a trout, and maybe row a raft?

After 5 years or so; a guides license would be handy for revenue.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358wsm

Thank you.

A trip to CourtView is advisable for that outfit...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
https://records.courts.alaska.gov/eaccess/search.page.3.1?x=jIxTFzTSN6VfPQ9*3owDmA

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Thank you.

Lol

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Thank you.

Lol

Actually, some of their antics have been reported on the regular "media" and there is quite a bit to choose from. One of the last places I would consider...

IC B3

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I love you Art, you're always watchin out..! In the words of GW "I 'preciate you good folk.."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unit 19 is gonna be easier to get to from anc rather than fbks

I've heard things have slowed down a good bit in anc, can't say for sure.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
There is a full time hunting job and full time hard goods(camping assoc) for Sportsman's Warehouse. You apply online. They don't pay big league but you can get your foot in the door and find construction jobs while on the job. Most workers last about 3-4 months before they find a better job. They end up working part time to take advantage of employee discount.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even though things have slowed down, I still see houses being built in our neighborhood. I still see some commercial building going on in Anchorage as well.

They key is getting your foot in the door. Good hands always have work.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kaboku68
There is a full time hunting job and full time hard goods(camping assoc) for Sportsman's Warehouse. You apply online. They don't pay big league but you can get your foot in the door and find construction jobs while on the job. Most workers last about 3-4 months before they find a better job. They end up working part time to take advantage of employee discount.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thanks T.!

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Even though things have slowed down, I still see houses being built in our neighborhood. I still see some commercial building going on in Anchorage as well.

Thank you.!

One look at my hands would probably get my foot in there.

I used to say "Give me a day and we'll talk about a job, give me a week and we'll nego a wage"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd get you contact information from the builder that built our house but his building crew is Russian Old believers and they seem like a pretty tight crew. Probably wouldn't hurt to drive around to where houses are being built and talk to the framing crews and see if they need another worker.

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Used to be the case but not anymore. There are a lot of alaskans who are hard workers having to work in washington and oregon right now.

To the OP what is it that you specialize in? Finish carpenter? Framer?

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have done a LOT of work on homes built in the Greek Revival period, especially following "9/11" when thousands of the New York City people started buying up farms and old homes. We'd go in, gut out from the inside to the exterior siding, save the orginal windows, doors, and moldings. New electric, insulation, wall coverings, plumbing, refinish floors, everything. Some homes required dismantle and foundations had to be put in and often 90% of the structure had to be "New Construction." As well, I have a masonry background, and wayyy too much roofing experience. I have also had to mimic old trim.

I'm a finish carpenter, and a rough in guy, from the footer to roof cap, and most everything in between, inside and out.
There really isn't much on the residential front that I can't handle, and I've done a bit of comercial work also.
I'm quite at home on most any site.

A lot of residential customers have an "idea" of what they want, but they need a bit of an artisan to bring their vision to completion in such a way that it looks and feels fitting within their home. I am good at that, I "see" it and can create it.

I've also done log homes. Kits. Nothing scribed. Yet.
I've not done Post &Beam structures, Yet.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If you're above toenailing studs into the sill plate, your're overqualified for construction in Alaska.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

543 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,216
Posts18,447,358
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.