Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
For some reason I want to get a long range rifle. I suppose mostly because I only own light weight hunting rifles and extremely accurate rifles excite me. I know most of your long range hunting rifles are a bit heavier than what I am accustomed to, and I know it would depend a lot on the circumstances of the hunt,but in general what would be the heaviest rifle you would consider as a hunting rifle?

I have an opportunity to purchase a phenomenally accurate rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm talking .2's accuracy wise and for what I think is a great price with a custom action and high end barrel and chassis. The thing is that the rifle alone weighs 11 pounds.It would work fine for some stand situations and as a range toy,but I was wondering if such a rifle could practically be used as a general purpose long range hunting rifle. I'm asking because I don't do any long range hunting and was wondering if you that know about long range hunting, could use a rifle that heavy in any of the type hunting you do.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Day hunting from base camp - I like no more than about 8-8.5 all up....

Backpacking I like about 7 pounds all up...

Both rigs I'd have no issues crushing something at 700+ yards...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Most of the rifles I hunt with weigh around 8 pounds, plus mounts and scope. So I’m probably packing 10 lbs. I carry it on my shoulder, so it isn’t a big deal to me. I have a few Sendero rifles, they would be a bit too much.

Last edited by hanco; 03/15/18.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A man has got to have more than one hunting rifle, I have what I would consider long range hunting rifles from 7 pounds to 56 pounds.
I would not let an 11pound rifle scare me off. I could find a use for it !!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hunt 10-12lb rifles (scoped) all the time from box stands, but the walk is generally under a half mile.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My heaviest is pushing 11lbs and I've got a few more that are 10lbs or more. They only get used in box stands or ground blinds when I'm hunting over large bean fields and the trip there involves an ATV. If I'm going to be doing a lot of walking I have other rifles in the 7.5lb range.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by TATELAW
My heaviest is pushing 11lbs and I've got a few more that are 10lbs or more. They only get used in box stands or ground blinds when I'm hunting over large bean fields and the trip there involves an ATV. If I'm going to be doing a lot of walking I have other rifles in the 7.5lb range.

That's sort of what I had in mind. This rifle would wind up closer to 13 lbs scoped. I've never owned anything anywhere close to that heavy but then I do have several nice rifles from 5-8 lbs.

I don't know,I may talk myself out of it but the idea of an extremely accurate rifle does appeal to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I build rifles every year.
I am trying to keep the rifle, scope, bipod, rear bag, sling, cheek rest, and ammo..... less than 10 pounds.

Slings that are stretchy, wide, and have a high coefficient of friction make the rifle feel lighter.
Butler Creek and Vero make these.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I like about 9.5lbs

7mmRM the perfect North American cartridge!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by TATELAW

That's sort of what I had in mind. This rifle would wind up closer to 13 lbs scoped. I've never owned anything anywhere close to that heavy but then I do have several nice rifles from 5-8 lbs.

I don't know,I may talk myself out of it but the idea of an extremely accurate rifle does appeal to me.

Do it. You’ll be glad you did.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have no clue what my heavy 7x300 or my MTU contour 308 weighs. Neither are light.

Carry them hunting a lot at times. While we drive some distance, we generally walk at least half a mile or more one way to the stands or areas to overlook.

That doesn't bother me in the least.

OTOH I wouldn't really want to carry either of them on a long hike.

Have carried the 308 about 3 miles max, and that wasn't a big deal to me. But I wouldn't really want to lug it around after elk etc... though my 54 sidelock doesn't really feel what I consider to be light either... and its been on a few elk runs.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW our service rifles were from 16-18 pounds all up, and we rolled with 50 pounds or so of other gear up and down ranges from parking lot to pits at 1000 yards at times... it was ok too. Even in our horrible heat.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're going to be very mobile, there's much to like about the Barrett Fieldcraft and it's lightweight kin.

If you're going to sit in a nest or a treestand that is stable, its hard to argue against a medium-heavy rifle that shoots well.

Not a lot of people on the PRS circuit shooting lightweight rifles, and that requires some moving around and improvised shooting positions.

I have a B&C M40 stock with a varmint channel that is pretty heavy. I'm waiting to build a 6mm Creed or 6.5 SAUM to put into it for fun and hunting.

I'm in good shape for my age, but still prefer to sit on a logging road or some elevated spot and look down on a field with enough rifle to reach the target, and enough heft to be steady when I need that.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My heaviest rifles are my one AR15 full size rifle in 6.8SPC, SR762 Ruger, my 300H&H Mauser and my Mauser 404 Jeffery. They all weight between 10-1/4 and 11 pounds. I hunt with them.

I have hunted with rifles of 12 and even 13.5 pounds in the past, but now they are all sold. I don't like anything over about 11 pounds now.

My lightest big game rifle is the one I am just finishing up right now, a Lee Metford made in the early "Speed" style. It's a 303 and weights 6.5 lbs.
Next lightest is the 1903 Mannlicher in 6.5X54. It weighs 7 pound 4 oz.
I have other rifles that go from about 8 pounds to 9-1/4 pounds and they comprise most of the lot.
30-30, 25-06, 6.8SPC Carbine, 7.62X39, 270s, 30-06s 308s 8X57, 9.3X57, 9.3X62 and 375H&H.

Last edited by szihn; 03/15/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I absolutely hate hunting with a heavy rifle! Most of my bolt action hunting rifles weigh in at about 7.5 to 8 lbs. Heavest one I own is a heavy barrel AR-15 that’s about 10 lbs with scope.

That being said, my next long range rifle will be a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 CM. With their carbon stock & carbon wrapped 24” barrel they weigh 6.3 lbs without a scope. With a Leupold 4.5 X 14 and rings and bases, it will still weigh just under 8 lbs.
Several of those bought by my friends in the last year shoot little tiny one hole groups at 200 yards. And at a MSR of $1995, you can’t build a “Long Range” rifle that shoots that good for less money.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 03/15/18.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no problem walking around a couple of miles with my 15 lbs rifles when I'm hunting country where I expect a possible long shot. I take my 6-7 lbs rifles sheep hunting, but the things that make a 15 lbs rifle weigh 15 lbs, also make it easier to shoot little bug holes and hit stuff at LR than with lighter rifles. You have the light rifle end of the spectrum covered, try a chunk- they're way more fun to shoot in practice. You'll like it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I have no problem walking around a couple of miles with my 15 lbs rifles when I'm hunting country where I expect a possible long shot. I take my 6-7 lbs rifles sheep hunting, but the things that make a 15 lbs rifle weigh 15 lbs, also make it easier to shoot little bug holes and hit stuff at LR than with lighter rifles. You have the light rifle end of the spectrum covered, try a chunk- they're way more fun to shoot in practice. You'll like it.

I'm thinking real hard about it. I do like to shoot,even when it isn't hunting related. Good to know you have 15 lb rifles Jordan. It doesn't make me feel stupid for considering an 11 pound rifle.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 03/15/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I drug a big mule fawn for a mile in October without a rope.
The weight of my rifle is insignificant compared to the power of the deer dragging force.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Mc Millan stock, Remington action , bartlein #3 barrel, ss 3x15 is 10.8lbs (243). It shoots very well, and I pack it long and far. Its not too heavy for steep terrain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have hunting rifles from 6.5-14 #’s and all get used. Overall I prefer an 8-8.5# rifle as an all arounder but do like shooting my heavy guns as I can typically see impacts.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.