Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have one of the 452s (2016 models), and it's by far the best shooting .22 rifle I have. The wood is okay, it looks like they stole the blanks off Ruger's woodpile, but more importantly, it shoots well. With good ammo, it's not rare to shoot under a .5" at 50 yards.

I had one of the very early 455s, and it was a serious disappointment. I tried it with all three chamberings, and it wasn't anything close to this 452. Last year, I bought a later (C-prefix) 455 Scout that shoots "almost" as well as the 452, but the key word there is "almost", it's not quite there, but it IS a lot handier for hanging out a truck window. The Scout outshoots an RAR Predator .22LR I have, it's a keeper.

The newest 455s are coming along quite well, I think, but based on those three CZs, I'd still pick the 452, given the choice. I wouldn't be scared of a new 455, though, they are doing better now.

I like that little Ruger, too, but they have a very long ways to go, to catch up with the CZs.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I have one of the 452s (2016 models), and it's by far the best shooting .22 rifle I have. The wood is okay, it looks like they stole the blanks off Ruger's woodpile, but more importantly, it shoots well. With good ammo, it's not rare to shoot under a .5" at 50 yards.

I had one of the very early 455s, and it was a serious disappointment. I tried it with all three chamberings, and it wasn't anything close to this 452. Last year, I bought a later (C-prefix) 455 Scout that shoots "almost" as well as the 452, but the key word there is "almost", it's not quite there, but it IS a lot handier for hanging out a truck window. The Scout outshoots an RAR Predator .22LR I have, it's a keeper.

The newest 455s are coming along quite well, I think, but based on those three CZs, I'd still pick the 452, given the choice. I wouldn't be scared of a new 455, though, they are doing better now.

I like that little Ruger, too, but they have a very long ways to go, to catch up with the CZs.

I have always heard from their introduction years ago, that the m455 rifles as they come from the box have not been as consistently accurate from rifle to rifle as the m452s..

Some folks have speculated that CZ has lowered their barrel quality.I fnd that a bit hard to believe ,since they have bern hammer forged from the start and they have always prided themselves on their barrel quality and bore/chamber specs.

I am beginning to think that just as Ruger has found out ,building a rifle with a non.threaded,removeable barrel system
can lead to accuracy problems. When you actually look at the set screw attachment system on the CZ m455s, it looks even less robust and repeatable than even the system Rugers uses .

I think with some of the poor shooting m455s ,that might be the source of their problems.

Last edited by jk16; 03/02/18.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The 452 American, not all 452, come with a nice polish and blue with walnut stock. The stocks are or were like a lottery, some real winners. The 455 American may have the same wood. The 455 American is not as well polished and blued. Anyone who does not understand need only visit a gun shop that has a 452 left hand model on display next to a 455 right hand gun.

The polish and blue is real money and the typical American consumer is not, in my opinion, willing to pay for that. This is exactly same for old model Smith & Wesson and the new guns today. Even $2400 Sako has a matt/satin cheapo finish. People buy that crap, so; it makes sense.

The 452 had several barrel lug and receiver bolt patterns so that a stock from a lux or trainer would not interchange with an American and even a 22LR varmint stock is not the same as a 22mag varmint stock. The 455 standardized the stocks. IMHO generally a good idea to standardize, good for CZ. But; the fullstock had a special barrel lug attachment which was very accurate on the 452. The 455 does not and it suffers for that change. The bolt was simplified, the smooth feeding guide lug removed. Not good. The barrels are a slip fit, obviously not as rigid as being threaded on.

For accuracy, in theory, my theory, the 452 (and 453) shpould be more accurate because the gun is more rigid and the attachment screws are optimized for the barrel & stock configuration. In practice, cz, like most others, has the occasional bad chamber, bad crown or rough bore. The 455 is easier to correct with a new barrel. Watch the fit and headspace. For the $$$ involved I generally prefer to dump a lemon and move on, rather than re-barrel. I would put that up charge toward an Anschutz. For those who like to tinker and build up a gun the 455 is a great option.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jk16

I have always heard from their introduction years ago, that the m455 rifles as they come from the box have not been as consistently accurate from rifle to rifle as the m452s..

Some folks have speculated that CZ has lowered their barrel quality.I fnd that a bit hard to believe ,since they have bern hammer forged from the start and they have always prided themselves on their barrel quality and bore/chamber specs.

I am beginning to think that just as Ruger has found out ,building a rifle with a non.threaded,removeable barrel system
can lead to accuracy problems. When you actually look at the set screw attachment system on the CZ m455s, it looks even less robust and repeatable than even the system Rugers uses .

I think with some of the poor shooting m455s ,that might be the source of their problems.

The grub screws that hold the barrel in place on the 455 are all but glued into place on the Scout I have, you can't budge them, and it shoots all but as well as the 452. Proved that today, in fact. I took both CZs to the range, along with my RARs, and there was no doubt that the CZs were "on" today. I couldn't get any satisfaction at all from the Rugers, but both CZs made me very happy.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ned
Just got an email from Buds, they have some 452 Americans for $487 / 473 cash. emails said they had 387 left in stock

Bud's 452

Their web feed is linked to Hicks inventory. They’ll direct fulfill the guns.

Any of your local shops should be able to call Hicks and get you one.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda figured Bud's and Bill Hicks were the same inventory.. Still SMH.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had the opportunity to take all 1000, but it just didn’t feel right. Lots of risk financially and ethically.

The last time they did a big run we took them all. We were selling the rifles for $369.99. When I was offered the rifles earlier this year, the cost had gone up $100 per rifle. They told me they found 1000 actions and this would be the last run. This was the third time I’d been told — this is it, no more after these — and we’ve communicated that message to our customer base each time.

I have no regrets passing on the rifles. I couldn’t tell the “last time” story again while jacking the rifles up $100. Keep in mind they have no upgrades, same wood and they “found” the actions. Makes me wonder how much they’ll cost on the next last run of 452’s?

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hell, I'd be happy to find a CZ-452 stock! CZ store has been out for the past couple years. 🙁

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
So, I should not jump on this CZ deal?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to say. Seems like CZ is manipulating supply of the 452s. We'll soon see if there will be a demand at the higher price. I know if I had purchased a CZ-452 GRAND FINALE I would be a pissed off Cracker right now! 😁

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I almost did that....just about bought a "grand finale" rifle.

Does not seem like too bad a price listed above.

Seems like the 77-22 was more money before they canceled it.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like to see CZ own up to screwing the pooch and return makinng the 452 on a regular basis. The sumbitches could not stand so much capitalist free market success.

Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I have one of the 452s (2016 models), and it's by far the best shooting .22 rifle I have.

Same here. Mine shoots the Browning BPR ammo like nobody's business. As for the stock trigger, I think it's pretty good compared to my Ruger 10/22. That thing is awful. lol

Good thing for trigger kits!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Rooster: Take the trigger group out of that 10/22 and send it to Brimstone Gunsmithing for their Tier 3 treatment. For $38 bucks mine came back in a week at 2.5# and no creep. Then get "Beartooth Bullets Technical Guide" and read up on firelapping 22 rimfire barrels. 25 rounds of fire lapping and you would be amazed.

S
S
Originally Posted by bobmn
Rooster: Take the trigger group out of that 10/22 and send it to Brimstone Gunsmithing for their Tier 3 treatment. For $38 bucks mine came back in a week at 2.5# and no creep. Then get "Beartooth Bullets Technical Guide" and read up on firelapping 22 rimfire barrels. 25 rounds of fire lapping and you would be amazed.

+1, Brimstone does a great job on 10/22 triggers.

N
n8dawg6 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
theyre baaaaaaaack .....

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
no offense ... but i think ppl believe theyve found a unicorn. and its just a horse

Let me guess.....you've never owned a 452.

N
n8dawg6 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
own a 452 and a 455 ‘merican. used to own a 455 tacticool w the fat barrel. i should have kept the tacticool, it was the most accurate of the 3. so many headshot squirrels with that rifle ... in fact, that might be the ONLY gun ive ever had sellers remorse over.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 37 invisible), 1,939 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,417
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.