NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

GB1

P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I had one before when I was 5 years old. Been gun crazy all my life.

Perry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This were The Shizit when I was a pup.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We lost 17 kids in 1st and 2nd grade alone to choking on those small parts. They'd see a Shootin' shell bullet and their first reaction was to put it in their mouth and inhale.

Oh wait, no, we didn't. We just a had a lot of fun playing with them....

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had one. Actually I think I had a two-gun set with a derringer in the belt buckle that could swing out and shoot a "bullet" also. Or I might have that confused with another set. Fun stuff either way.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
good lord carrying concealed as a kid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ-h1idHuKA

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was about 9 or 10 I carried a Dick Tracy Snubnose revolver (Shootin' shell replica of a Colt Detective Special) in a shoulder holster under my coat on a train from Ft. Lauderdale, FL up to Gainesville, FL. Nobody noticed. When the train arrived and my aunt and her family were there to greet us I assassinated my cousin. He never saw it comin'...

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
I had one. Actually I think I had a two-gun set with a derringer in the belt buckle that could swing out and shoot a "bullet" also. Or I might have that confused with another set. Fun stuff either way.

..somehwhere I still have my little gold Derringer..wish I still had the whole set...

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
That’s a nice one. Throughout my childhood I had several SAA cap guns, but not as cool as that.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I liked the commercial with Kurt Russel in it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
If boy Kurt Russel were to do this kind of play in public spaces nowadays, the SWAT team would be called on him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Be careful calling that cap revolver a pistol; some here might get their panties in a wad. smirk

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a couple single action cap guns but not one of those, although I remember them.... They were too cool. .... Also recall "Greenie Stick-'em" caps and there were some other guns from Mattel that used them. They really had some cool, interesting toys back then in the "golden age" of classic toys.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good memories. I had that with the swivel holster, the belt buckle derringer, and a Remington rolling block, all using the greenie stickem caps. All my allowance went to more caps

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the fwiw category: An entire roll of 50 standard red caps, if hit very hard with a hammer while all of them are still rolled up, will blow a decent sized chunk out of a concrete sidewalk.

I'm really glad I was a kid in the 50's and 60's... wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
“That’s swell!!”

Had cap guns as a boy, and disc thingy throwing guns, but man... that’s tops there.

Can someone familiar please clarify the mechanism? Am seeing a self-adhesive cap paper afixed to a reuseable solid base brass(?) case, and a soft maybe rubber material bullet press fit at the case mouth. How is the enery transfered?

Last edited by sandcritter; 03/19/18.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The shootin' shell used a hard plastic bullet with prongs at the base end that fit and locked into a rim just inside the brass case neck. The case itself had a spring inside, that's what propelled the bullet. I'm not sure how the prongs were released, the force of the hammer may have jarred them loose or possibly the energy of the hammer strike was transferred to those long extensions which may have rested against the base.. They didn't have a lot of power to begin with so didn't go far, and with a smoothbore oversize barrel would often tumble as they flew which further limited range. They were still useful since they would definitely irritate a cat or one's sister, or both.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And speaking of Greenie Stik'm caps, there was a muzzle loading pistol made back then - a handgun version of a civil war musket - that used the stik'm caps to propel a hard cork ball which was loaded from the muzzle. The cap actually sent it's force through a flashhole to the back of the barrel somewhat like a real muzzle loader except obviously there was no main powder charge One cap would shoot the cork ball a few feet. However, being an experimental handloader even at a tender young age, I found that 6 of those caps stacked up and fired all at once would propel that ball hard enough to take a patch of skin off of one's victim at ranges of up to 6 or 8 feet, and leave a nice welt to boot.

It was great to be a kid in the 50's... smile

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had one of those too Jim, but I don't recall ever "magnumizing" it. Wish I had thought of it, I have a couple of cousins who could have stood a welt or two. mad

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,588 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.