Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Dear Guys,

I am seriously looking at a Taylor, 1885 low wall, with pistol grip, in 45 long colt. Not a cowboy shooter at all, just want it on the mantle in case I have to shoot something in the back yard. (Don't worry, plenty of acres).

I would sure like, however, to have a leather shell holder on the buttstock, holding 8 to 10 rounds or so. No cheekpiece, just a shell holder.

Problem is, that it appears that nobody makes them. Can't understand why.

Lots of these for the lever action repeaters, in all makes and models, but none for the 1885.

Anybody know of a source, or seen one, or know of a company who could custom make one without a big fuss?

Thanks for any advice.

Mannyrock

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Leather is your hold up. You can get a nylon shell holder from Uncle Mikes that would do exactly what you want. You may have to have someone make you one of leather if that's the way you want to go.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
These were never worth the money to me, I'll cautiously admit to using the elastic nylon's which cost about $5. Still if you want leather here you are:

http://www.levergunleather.com/p_buttstock_covers.htm

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I use the elastic nylons too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any saddlemaker or leather craftsman can make one for you. I would suggest you look at samples of their work and if it is satisfactory have them make you one. You can choose color, tooling and other custom features if you are willing to party for them.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Me too, on my .260.
But only when I hunt it. I don't want to leave it on for fear it'll cause problems with the wood....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe the Cowboy Action folks would know of a custom source.

I think you should get a bandolier, and a sombrero to go with it.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I would use a nylon shell holder with a cover on shell holder,i do use a nylon covered shell holder on my custom Ruger no.1 ,leather shell holders come loose easier and get ruin stock finish ? leather has salt oil in holder, brass ammo turns greenish from the leather too.no more leather for me on the gun, but my gun a 257 Weatherby Mag. is my 50- 700 yard single shot hunting rifle.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have the ones that have the pad, but also have the shell holders and a zippered compartment. I put them on and off of my ProHunters. I like the zippered compartment for carrying small odds and ends. I will probably put these back on when I start hog hunting. These particular ones came from Ruger. Good nylon and vinyl with stout string ties.

pete53 is right about the leather and the green brass. I use chromed brass for the bullet loops in my good cross draw rig. No issues with chrome.

Last edited by Gladesman; 04/07/18.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Good luck with your low wall, I bought one awhile back through tayors, took about 8 months to get it, was worth the wait. Only reservation I've had was the trigger, ordered mine with the double triggers. I believe if I had it to do over I would prefer the single trigger just because the 2 trigger system crowdes the triggerguard. I use mine for a walking around woods gun and I don't consider the set trigger necessary for this application.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I am left handed and have yet to fine one with the cartridge holder and pouch on the correct side, so I just buy the elastic sleeved Uncle Mike's or comparable knockoffs.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There are stock packs that are available for LH shooters that will give your a higher cheek weld, which is important on a Low Wall, and give you a pouch and several cartridge holders. Hornady makes a good one and others are available from Amazon.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/accessories/shooting-accessories/hornady-cheek-piece

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 04/09/18.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Triad makes one also. I don't think I could put it on an 1885 or No. 1, too tacticool for me. Nonetheless they are available.

https://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Stock-Pack.html

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
solid colors help take away the tactical look. Raising your cheek is important on a Low Wall.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Me too, on my .260.
But only when I hunt it. I don't want to leave it on for fear it'll cause problems with the wood....

Sure don't want to chance that!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just me but I can't stand the Bubba Buddy especially on an 1885 although the leather ones did look period correct. It just seems to throw the balance off for me as well as the esthetics. But I have no qualms about shell holders on a carrying strap. This and a Safari type leather belt shell holder and I am ready for a pack of hogs. I even practice with two rounds between my fingers like Selious.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,147 guests, and 788 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,238
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.