Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This isn't necessarily a backpack hunting question, but this is the best forum for clothing questions.

So here goes;

I want some base layer cold-weather long underwear bottoms for short walks (1/2 to maybe a mile), but extended sits, that might be 1-3 hours in length. Fall/winter temps in my area run in the 10-40 degree range.

What's the stuff to get that won't burn you up on a short hike, but keep you somewhat comfortable for an extended glassing/sitting situation?

Thanks!

Last edited by Lonny; 03/16/18.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Sounds like my activity when I'm deer hunting. My solution is to pick a weight that keeps me warm, and control temp when walking by not wearing jacket, hat, etc and venting as much as possible. If I'm wearing insulated bibs and a heavy base layer I force myself to walk S L O W.

I'm a big fan of Patagonia Capilene for active use in whatever weight you need. Also have a set of Under Armour 4.0 that is warm but doesn't fit me worth a [bleep]. Will try Cabelas ECWS next for stand hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Silk or women's heavy panty hose.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wear lightweight synthetic longhandles with some Patagonia gridded fleece pants over them, then my microtex cargo pants in a scenario like that. A better option may be just to get a pair of puffy pants with a full length zipper to put over your normal britches once you get on stand.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Picnic blanket, small enough to stash in a daypack. They've got a waterproof layer which is nice to sit on and you can wrap your legs for warmth.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
IC B2

Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
tdbob, Actually I do pack a small army surplus wool blanket in my daypack for the colder days. It makes a huge difference on how long a guy can sit and glass/watch.

I just bought some First Lite Obsidian pants and while they seem nice for movement, they are on the thin side for much extended sitting.

I'll check out the Patagonia stuff.

Thanks!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
For what your doing I wear light weight merino wool long underwear...if your gonna sit much longer you might use the medium weight.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Aviator
For what your doing I wear light weight merino wool long underwear...if your gonna sit much longer you might use the medium weight.

+1
I've used cotton, synthetics and merino wool, hands down merino wool is the clear winner.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The cheap Omni-wool stuff from Sam’s works well for me. Picked the last set from eBay for cheap.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A couple of thoughts. If you're not doing alot of exertion, Ice Breaker 260 top/bottom. If you have some exertion where you will sweat, Sitka Midweight or Heavyweight top/bottom. You could wear an ultra thin layer next to skin layer under the Sitka Heavyweight. I really dig the Sitka mid and heavyweight. They are pricey but I've found Sitka stuff to be top shelf.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
do they got flaps?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For cold-cold weather I wear Kuiu's Ultra Down pants under their Yukon pants. The latter have side zips which I open to allow the legs tobrathe and avoid sweating.

The Ultra Down are so much warmer than wool, weigh nothing, and their outer layer slides so well under the pants that they wear very comfortably, without any feeling of being tied up.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I wear light weight merino and syn briefs under mid weight mountain pants. I carry an extra Primaloft jacket that I wrap around my legs on stands and while glassing and sit on a 1/2" ensolite pad cut to 1'x2'. The jacket weighs just 1 lb and stuffs the size of a 1L water bottle. I like zip off down pants also but the jacket is cheaper and does double duty.

mike r

Last edited by lvmiker; 03/17/18.

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Merino base layers such as Icebreaker, etc. Wore them to 7000', today.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I wear light weight merino and syn briefs under mid weight mountain pants. I carry an extra Primaloft jacket that I wrap around my legs on stands and while glassing and sit on a 1/2" ensolite pad cut to 1'x2'. The jacket weighs just 1 lb and stuffs the size of a 1L water bottle. I like zip off down pants also but the jacket is cheaper and does double duty.

mike r

Good post.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like others have indicated, I do not try to “wear” one set of clothes to walk a half mile and then sit in cold. IMO your situation calls for two different leg insulation items: one for walking and one for sitting. Wear minimal and carry the thicker insulated layer till you stop walking. An outer layer is easiest to put on once you stop. Several good suggestions above.

You are describing a similar situation to a late Fall small town high school football game with open aluminum bleacher seats!

Another solution I intend but have not done yet is to buy a pair of insulated ski pants or ski overalls that are too big for me. Cut off the legs at the angle of hip to crotch, hem or tape open insulation edges as necessary and put them on one at a time as leggings. Even better would be to cut open a seam the length of the leg and sew on Velcro strips to close it. A belt hook on each outside top, near hip bone, would help keep each legging from sliding down.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Wiggies make a zip side leg jacket that would go great as an insulated over pant.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me what the OP is asking doesn't really exist unless the walk in is very short or the temp is not very cold.

It is a pain, but I'd much rather pack my insulating layer for the hike and then put them on when i get there than try and compromise. It takes a few minutes to change, but doing it this way I'm comfortable for the hike and for the glassing/sitting.

Last fall I was bowhunting and the hunt started with a bike ride and then a steep hike before actually hunting. When I got to the top I changed socks and put on merino and down. There was several inches of snow. It took a little bit of doing in the snow, but it sure beat the alternative.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

728 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 76 invisible), 3,295 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.