Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tom264
“Please tell me your experience “

I knew that would be your argument.
Only because you can’t/won’t argue my point on bullets mattering more than the others...
I never said those bullets you listed wouldn’t work...I gave an example where your argument would be flat wrong and hurt your big ego.
Get over it and grow up

Conversing with adults one shouldn't have to qualify the obvious... you're apparently the exception. Think on that...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Oh jeez......

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I dunno bout all this. My biggest Rosie I killed with a 200 silver tip via 358, biggest rocky, 180 interlock 300 Roy 40 yards, 3300 FPS. Killed a lot with 50 and 54 cal powerbelts, ran arrows through several as well. I think most folks over think stuff. Killed a couple bulls with a 243, it works really well too.

A old buddy of mine, passed away last year, probably had the best blacktail bone collection I’ve seen, killed a bull every year, all outta one of his numerous tree stands with a marlin 22 Mag. In season, just enjoyed using a 22 Mag cause it worked for him, really well actually.....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Judman
I dunno bout all this. My biggest Rosie I killed with a 200 silver tip via 358, biggest rocky, 180 interlock 300 Roy 40 yards, 3300 FPS. Killed a lot with 50 and 54 cal powerbelts, ran arrows through several as well. I think most folks over think stuff. Killed a couple bulls with a 243, it works really well too.

A old buddy of mine, passed away last year, probably had the best blacktail bone collection I’ve seen, killed a bull every year, all outta one of his numerous tree stands with a marlin 22 Mag. In season, just enjoyed using a 22 Mag cause it worked for him, really well actually.....

In other words, bullet placement trumps all. smile

The game warden one county over used a 220 Swift to dispatch hundreds of elk... slip a bullet in the ribs, life is over.

Like you say, most overthink this stuff, or are just argumentative by nature...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
overthinking this stuff... I represent that remark!! smile

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dogger
overthinking this stuff... I represent that remark!! smile

On a given day and subject, so do I!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chasing "magic bullets"......learning how to shoot well will take care of most of it.

In all of my years guiding back in the day, I saw more elk hit poorly with magnum rifles, shooting fancy hunting bullets, than I ever want to remember. The guys that showed up after practicing all summer with their .270's and 30/06's were the guys that had the least amount of problems killing animals with one shot. I've got some absolute horror stories of hunters showing up with magnum rifles they were scared schittless of, and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with them, let alone an elk.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Tom264
Disagree Brad, you cant tell me that a 110 grain Varmint bullet from a .300 ultra mag will matter more than a 180 grainer on moose...no matter where it’s placed.

Yeah, but that's just stupid. Hopefully you know that.

It should go without saying (seemingly not on this forum) that the bullet should be appropriate to the game and cartridge... bullets are so good today, any C&C bullet designed for BG will work at average velocities.

My criteria:

1) Placement
2) Placement
3) Placement
4) Bullet
5) Cartridge

But please, do tell your observations killing elk...

None of it matters if your not in shape to go get them in the first place. I see it every year, bought this whiz bang rifle - shoots light out to farther than you can see. Noon on first day: feet have blisters, legs so sore they can't get out of a lawn chair and would rather sleep in the second day than go after them again. There's a reason success rates are what they are..... For the guys that don't fall into that trap about anything from a .243 up works just fine. I've killed bulls with Partitions, Interlocks, SST's, CoreLokts and arrows - all resulted in dead elk. The only bullets I would not use again are the SST's.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy a 30/06

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by John_Havard
I've killed more bull moose with a .308 Winchester shooting high-quality bullets than most folks have ever seen. I've also killed bull moose with 375H&H, 300 WinMag, 30.06, and 7mm STW. Bullet design and placement is everything - velocity is secondary. If you prefer to shoot at long distances instead of hunting and stalking then velocity might gain some importance. But unless I'm hunting brown bear (I've killed two and have participated in the killing of three more) there's NOTHING a well-placed and well-designed 30-caliber bullet at reasonable (.308 Win) velocities won't do perfectly well on anything in North America.

That reminds me of a talk I had when bear hunting one time. He was moving to Alaska with his dad from northern Minnesota. He said his dad shot a grizzly last year. I asked sarcastically , with what , a 375 Nitro super short mag? I started laughing. He said " nah, just a 308Win. I laughed even more. He admitted , it wasn't very big, maybe 300 lbs.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Elkmen
Velocity is nice, but anything over 3000 is probably wasted, the bullet and accuracy to me are most important.

I agree with all you guys. I learned after being somewhat coerced to hunt with Remington Express commercial ammo in my 280 Remington for 4-5 hunting seasons. So many critters fell to those 150 gr CoreLokt bullets at 2820 fps average that I was forced to rethink my self-imposed “need” for magnum velocities. That included many large, heavy Axis out to 400 yards.

Prior to this learning experience I was a slave to, what I thought, the fastest speed & the utmost premium bullet.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Interested to hear how that 180 IL at 40 yards did from a 300 Roy. Was it a plain SP or BTSP? Pass through or catch the bullet and did it go through any bones?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Caught both. Both shoulders, 1st hunped him, second tipped him. I’ve killed enough to know, I don’t want anything runnin unless it’s flat clear ground, hunt Washington you’ll see.... love hornady bullets.
[Linked Image]

Spire point btw...

Last edited by Judman; 03/17/18.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Impressive. Thanks Jud.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My oryx was 338 win, 225, raking shot, 425 yards, 1 and done, never recovered it. Behind the ribs, exited between shoulder and brisket off side...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Impressive. Thanks Jud.

You bet glad to share with a fellow killer...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And for conversation, my best bud and pard for 25 years, 270 Roy, 130 hornady sp, 300 yards, 1 hitter quitter...... out of over 100 Roosevelt and rocky bulls never seen one bigger, meat wise.... good bull for a great guy....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Elkmen
Velocity is nice, but anything over 3000 is probably wasted, the bullet and accuracy to me are most important.

This is true, exactly why I rested with 3050 fps with 165’s from my 300 WSM. Glorified 30-06? May be, but I like it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You boys from back east that wanna hunt elk, get in shape, get a good load you can shot well, and go hunt!!! Work your ass off, shoot good when the opportunity presents itself, and enjoy elk meat for the next year!! Caliber and bullet are the last thing you should think of. Get the tag, get your azz in reasonable shape, shoot your deer rifle in the summer, kill elk, it’s really that easy.....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You boys from back east that wanna hunt elk, get in shape, get a good load you can shot well, and go hunt!!! Work your ass off, shoot good when the opportunity presents itself, and enjoy elk meat for the next year!! Caliber and bullet are the last thing you should think of. Get the tag, get your azz in reasonable shape, shoot your deer rifle in the summer, kill elk, it’s really that easy.....

Is this an invitation?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 71 invisible), 3,010 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.