Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I'm just curious why barrels come in differing number of grooves. hat are the reasons? What are the pros and cons?

BP-B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Because everybody has there own idea of what is good. I have shot a couple of 2 groove Springfields that shot just fine from a accuracy stand point, and there are more styles of rifling then there are groove counts.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
wtroger is right.

I have not made any barrels for a few years now, but I used to make them and did a lot of experimenting.
The #1 factor in how well a barrel shoots is QUALITY!

Any twist the keeps the bullet stable out of the muzzle is as accurate as another, and any twist that doesn't build pressure too fast is fine too. A bullet is never spinning faster in relation to it's forward travel than when it's at the muzzle. A bullet's spin slows very little as it progresses forward, but the velocity does. So if a bullet is turning 1-12" at the muzzle and going 3000 FPS the speed of it's rotation is 3000 Rev. per Second. At 1700 yards that same bullet will only be going about 1000 feet per second but rotational speed only decreases about 15%, so it is now rotating at about 2650 Rev per Second but only going forward at 1/3 it's original speed. At 1700 yards it is spinning WAY faster in relation to it's forward movement. It's 15% slower in Rotations Per Second but 66% slower in velocity.
So if your rifle will stabilize a bullet at anywhere from the muzzle to 200 yards, it's not going to go unstable as long as it's supersonic.
This goes contrary to some sales-pitches that I see in print today, but if you think about the principal here, you can easily see why I am correct in what I say.

Number of lands and grooves in not important. Advertising claims not-withstanding!
Shape of the lands and grooves is not important. Advertising claims not-withstanding!
Left or right hand twist is not important. Advertising claims not-withstanding!

I point out something that the people making the claims need to answer:
If your Whoopie-Wee XYZ special super-duper feature of your rifling was so superior to all others, why has it not set any new world records and held them consistently over time?.

Jets are really faster then bi-planes. Farraris are really faster then Yugos.
Bolt actions are really more accurate then smooth bore muzzleloaders.
All this can be easily proven and the lead of the Farrari over the Yugo, the F18 over the Sopwith and the Ruger Precision over the Brown Bess is obvious, and anyone who can fly, drive or shoot can take one of each and prove it. Superiority is demonstrable.

Why can't the "super barrels" prove they are better and HOLD ONTO that victory against all comers?

If they are better they can prove it against ALL comers---------- or they are not better. They may be just as good and I don't kick at that statement, ------ but I can't see any evidence they are "better".

Someone may have been lucky and so XYZ set a record, but if that record can be matched or broken next year by ABC, XYZ has proven nothing.

Quality is the key.

There are many barrels today that are outstanding. Those that are outstanding have very high quality.

But don't fall for the tripe that it's because they have 5R, or Poly, or Ratchet, or multi-radial, or gain-twist, or gobeldigook geometry inside the bore. And the idea that a 1-8 twist is "less accurate" than a 1-7-3/4 twist is just sales hype and based in nothing but the ignorance of the buying public. The Emperor really IS naked!
All will shoot better than most men can hold if the quality is top notch.

None shoot worth a dang if the quality is poor.

Last edited by szihn; 03/16/18.
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Wow! Thanks to both of you. I got a real education there.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,072 guests, and 1,414 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.