Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DownWind
DanInAlaska,

We also received an unsolicited offer for some King fishing on the Kenai from another forum member (to remain anonymous unless he allows me to divulge his handle). Again we are overwhelmed with the generosity from you guys.

Dave and Landon

Yup, that should be a good time! He knows what he is doing on the river. Rick Bin and I have fished with him more than a couple times.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can have all of my halibut. Please bring me some ling cod, yellow eye and big black rock fish. I miss my boat. Woe is me............

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
OK folks, it's time for an update. We are set with the Cracker Jack Voyager on the 19th of July for a combo halibut /silver salmon trip out of Seward. We got a room Thursday night the 18th, at the Van Gilder in Seward so the day won't be quite as long. That will be the most I've ever paid for one night's lodging ... $390 ($250 a night I've already paid for the Soldotna room + $140 for the Van Gilder). I'll get over it ... just hope the wife doesn't find out.

Our host for Kenai king fishing on Saturday is Steve (358Norma_fan). He gave me permission to divulge. That was an over-the-top offer! He even fondly mentioned a few other yahoos here on the Fire that he has shared a day fishing with.

I only have one dilemma left ... airline and rental car reservations. I've been working with a travel agent out of Soldotna since last November. Every time I speak with her or email she promises to send me an itinerary. She claimed in Feb that she had us booked on a flight that was cancellable up til May 1st. I still haven't seen that itinerary. She never initiates correspondence. It's always in response to my queries. I plan to give her a call in an hour or so and either get something solid or part company. If this is her normal behavior I am amazed she is still in business.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why fly to Soldotna? Seems a better option to drive and rental cars are probably cheaper out of anchorage, no?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Sorry for the confusion Art. The travel agent is located in Soldotna. We are flying in and out of Anchorage.

I talked to her about 45 minutes ago and she promised to email our itinerary today. I have heard this before.🤐

Dave
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't risk your trip on a flaky travel agent. Easy enough to book your flights from the airline or one of the online outfits.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Book your own flights, I never go through a travel agent and I always get awesome deals, instant itinerary, tickets plus you get to pick your own seats.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Ak Airlines mileage tickets and companion fares are the way to go. My clients often fly up for $6.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Dave-
I didn't even know there were still travel agents!

Did you book directly w/ Van Gilder?

look here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...-The_Van_Gilder_Hotel-Seward_Alaska.html

Should be available for about half that.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Call midnight sun car rental for a vehicle. Cheapest place in town, and good cars, truck or vans.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
All is good! I got my itinerary and rental car reservation from the agent. I'm very pleased with the results. I priced hundreds of options for airfare and rental car and the cheapest I could find was $1500 for airfare and $575 for a compact car. She got us Alaska Air Companion fares for $1280 and a full size car for $275. I normally would never use a travel agent with all the online resources available, but chose to do so this time because this agent found us first class upgrades for $100 per segment the last time the wife and I flew. The extra $400 was just a bit more than the baggage fees we would have paid in coach ... four 50lb fish boxes aren't cheap, but the ride made up for any additional costs. She is looking for the upgrade this time, too. No success yet.

I just wish she would be a bit more responsive or if I'm just too anxious, tell me that you're going to work this three months out. I can understand this. False promises and comm-outs don't sit well with anxious folks. 😁

Dave
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ironbender

Dave-
I didn't even know there were still travel agents!

Did you book directly w/ Van Gilder?

look here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...-The_Van_Gilder_Hotel-Seward_Alaska.html

Should be available for about half that.

Mike,
I booked through Expedia after seeing all the prices on Trivago.

Dave

Dave
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.