Print Thread
Hop To
D
dgr416 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I an fixing to get a couple of in the white receivers in ar10 which coating is the best for these and which what is the best to put them on spray them or what .Duracoat is right down the road from me did by know if it was as good as cericoat? I may get a couple of them just depends if prove goes up or not !

GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
"in the white" = not anodized

You asked what's best, hard anodizing is the best, as most AR receivers have. That hard surface layer is important for all of the wear surfaces.

Duracoat, Ceracoat, and other spray coatings are a distant second or third place in comparison.

That is why I do not buy "in the white" AR receivers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get them anodized.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would this be an issue with 80% receivers?
You have to drill the pin holes, correct?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Would this be an issue with 80% receivers?
You have to drill the pin holes, correct?
Yes.
As far as I'm concerned, the pin holes are the most important surfaces to have anodized. What little wear happens on an AR receiver happens there.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Yes, absolutely.

Anti-rotation pins can solve that particular issue, but any other machined surfaces with exposed aluminum are soft and subject to wear. The contact points of the hammer and trigger for example, the safety lever hole, and depending on the lower if you had to machine the mag release or anything else that moves.

Last edited by Yondering; 03/10/18.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I had all mine clear coat anodized a while back by a friend at a shop. Will blast the outsides a bit and cerracoat some color or another eventually.

I'd never buy another white one either... but at the time it was a "deal" to good to pass up. Would have been too if had not got stiffed for about 15 more lowers the plucker owes me and I'll never see...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have been using the new Cerakote Elite on customers uppers and lowers
And have been highly impressed with the finish.

" It will be fine after the swelling goes down "
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Hard anodizing would be my first choice. Cerakote is a close second and stands up real well. The Elite Cerakote goes on a lot thinner and is good for real tight tolerance assemblies like Ed Brown 1911's and revolver triggers and sears.

Cerakote is made up from ceramic beads ground up ultra fine and combined with a good heat cured epoxy to produce a hard finish that is resistant to abrasion, impacts, corrosion and chemicals. To remove it must be abrasive media blasted.

DuraCoat is just paint. It wears real easy and can be washed off with many different chemicals. If you are only doing the lower it would be well worth the price of a small flat rate box to get it to a certified Cerakote applicator. https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/resource/locator/

I have done lots of AR's inside and out including the entire bolt and they hold up very well. Bolt action rifles we do the entire actions inside and out and as long as there are no bad burrs inside the action the bolt will stand up to years of use before you can tell they have been used. Even the bolt face and locking lugs and action abutments. It really smooth's them up and prevents galling of those surfaces. On double action revolvers it makes them feel like a real nice trigger job. They usually look factory fresh 10+ years later unless you use it in extremely dirty and muddy areas and are prone to dropping or dragging your gun around. Then the edges will get worn down just as they would with the hard anodize. Kydex holsters in a dusty environment is about the worst thing you can use on any firearm finish.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 160user, 46 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,812
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.