24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am have no problem with folks wanting to bow hunt. Its just not my thing.

I do think the seasons(OTC tags, rut, dates, length, areas) are very slanted towards bow hunting.

Bow hunting, in my opinion, is a choice. I just dont like that fact that I dont get the same opportunities because I chose not to bow hunt.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257wby
I don't have a beef with bow hunters but they kinda have a beef with me because I won't let them hunt my land until after rifle season. My beef with is with fish and game for giving bow hunters such a big advantage. Let the bow guys hunt with the rest of us and just have one deer season regardless of weapon.

I agree!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
FWIW I usually blow through my deer, compound or recurve.
But I have good gear tuned to perfection.

Lots of bowhunters half arse it.

Lots of gun hunters do too.

Which one allows for more chance of miss or lesser wound?

Last edited by hookeye; 03/18/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by renegade50
Mummumum, mama said xbows are the devil.

mama needs to read a little history. The crossbow is a noble weapon with an impressive history, that has been melined and decried though out history.
It has been called "The Devil's weapon" , it was claimed it would destroy civilization, and was a bandit's weapon. it has been used to guard castles, fortifications, and was even used in combat against American troops just a few wars ago. there was even a repeating crossbow that would fire semiauto as quickly as you could raise and lower a lever.
a great deal of what is known of long gun design, was worked out in crossbow design, and it is as old as 400BC (Belly-Bow). It deserves more respect than is commonly given. a crossbow is not an imitation long gun, but the long gun could be called an imitation crossbow, as it's roots clearly grow from it's stock.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Last edited by hookeye; 03/18/18.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Seafire
Field cleaned an elk, a female friend of the family shot.. she's handicapped...

there was a big hard lump on the heart when I took that out.. since I was going to cook and eat the heart, when
I cleaned it at the cabin, I cut out the lump and then washed it off real good.. was a bullet that hadn't penetrated the heart
just part of the side of the muscle wall....

a Customer over in Coos Bay, who owned the local oil company over there, had a bunch of elk head mounts in his
office... in a glass cabinet, he also had multiple parts of elk backbone or neck...

he had kept them, as each one had one or more arrow heads in them, and that the wound had been grown over
and healed at the time each animal was taken by him...

one particularly large bull's neck spine had 5 different arrow heads, embedded into it....

guess the animals are too dumb to know what pain is, or just learn to live with it and keep on truckin....

didn't impress me much about bow hunters... but then, that is why he kept that stuff..

he didn't care for bow hunters much either...

Holy cow, 5 broadheads in an elks neck? Poor sucker.

I did shoot at an elks neck once. I know. I know.

I was sitting the convergence of three trails on a stool with my back up against a 6" tree trunk. Had a creek about 40 yards behind me. Rather than the elk walking by in front of me on the trail, they came up out of the creek behind me and headed right by me a few yards away. Cow cow cow calf spike cow cow cow cow raghorn cow cow....I waited for the herd bull to follow them right on by at 10 yards. Nope, he came up right behind me and the tree I was against. When he put his head down in the huckleberries I spun around that tree as I drew my bow all in one motion. He caught movement and threw his head up, eyes wide open, wild eyed! I let fly for his neck but he and I were both in full motion and that arrow sailed right under his neck. He spun and ran down into the creek bottom and stopped, and I drilled him at 40 yards. But I can honestly say I've missed a nice Roosevelt bull at the whopping distance of 8 feet.

It seemed like such a good idea at the time, shoot him in the neck...

LOL
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't have a beef with bow hunters but they kinda have a beef with me because I won't let them hunt my land until after rifle season. My beef with is with fish and game for giving bow hunters such a big advantage. Let the bow guys hunt with the rest of us and just have one deer season regardless of weapon.

> I hunt both ways bow and rifle and too be honest bowhunters have to work a heck of a lot harder than I good rifle hunter to get a good bow shot. its almost against law for good bowhunters to rifle hunt we know a lot more about deer hunting after years as a bowhunter,we need more time as a bowhunter before the redcoats come out and scare everything cazy ! with my bow a long shot would be 30 yards if deer isn`t looking, but my custom rifle 257 weatherby with a niteforce scope,handloads,rangefinder and bi-pod shoots flat to 600 yards and it don`t matter if deer is looking at me I still will kill it ! it takes time with a bow with a rifle most just drive around with binoculars and shoot animal close to truck,seen it and done it too myself. as hunters best not to complain about each other ,myself on my land its only for a few close friends and family.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by kellory

mama needs to read a little history. The crossbow is a noble weapon with an impressive history, that has been melined and decried though out history.
It has been called "The Devil's weapon" , it was claimed it would destroy civilization, and was a bandit's weapon. it has been used to guard castles, fortifications, and was even used in combat against American troops just a few wars ago. there was even a repeating crossbow that would fire semiauto as quickly as you could raise and lower a lever.
a great deal of what is known of long gun design, was worked out in crossbow design, and it is as old as 400BC (Belly-Bow). It deserves more respect than is commonly given. a crossbow is not an imitation long gun, but the long gun could be called an imitation crossbow, as it's roots clearly grow from it's stock.

"maligned" professor.

Yeah, the head pedophile banned them at one point. Noble is standpoint that would be hard to prove. But opinions vary.

The arguments against crossbows in archery seasons has nothing to do with them being "devil weapons" lol.

MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Let's face it, compounds aren't really bows. They've been bastardized even more than BP weapons.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Let's face it, compounds aren't really bows. They've been bastardized even more than BP weapons.

kill 10 wild adult whitetails with a compound bow , no baiting on public land then get back to me. I have killed deer with recurves and compounds both can be difficult to kill a adult deer add cold weather " below zero" and most rifle hunters would not do it.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pete53

> I hunt both ways bow and rifle and too be honest bowhunters have to work a heck of a lot harder than I good rifle hunter to get a good bow shot. its almost against law for good bowhunters to rifle hunt we know a lot more about deer hunting after years as a bowhunter,we need more time as a bowhunter before the redcoats come out and scare everything cazy ! with my bow a long shot would be 30 yards if deer isn`t looking, but my custom rifle 257 weatherby with a niteforce scope,handloads,rangefinder and bi-pod shoots flat to 600 yards and it don`t matter if deer is looking at me I still will kill it ! it takes time with a bow with a rifle most just drive around with binoculars and shoot animal close to truck,seen it and done it too myself. as hunters best not to complain about each other ,myself on my land its only for a few close friends and family.

Pete, I feel the same way. Sometimes an archer can get lucky, but I used to figure 4 weeks to fill my elk tag. That's hunting after work and on weekends mostly. You really had to invest the time and effort to make that one killing setup and shot. Lots of missed opportunities, wind was wrong, cows busted you, etc. But you're right, you learn more bowhunting than you ever do rifle hunting. I don't know who said it but it's true, "The bowhunt starts where the rifle hunt ends".

Now that I rifle hunt exclusively I feel I'm far better for the 20 years I spent bowhunting. The hard part is resisting the urge to revert to rifle hunter mode after while. I admit to flushing and shooting a lot of deer with a rifle out of impatience. The difference is now I know how they think so I pretty much now where they are to flush, I don't have to wait them out like I did when I bowhunted.

LOL
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Game deserves to be taken humanely. Anyone who hunts in a manner that doesn't stand a good chance of rendering the animal DRT has issues that they need to ponder.

Taking satisfaction from causing suffering is fugged up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

"maligned" professor.

Yeah, the head pedophile banned them at one point. Noble is standpoint that would be hard to prove. But opinions vary.

The arguments against crossbows in archery seasons has nothing to do with them being "devil weapons" lol.

My phone has a better spell check than my tablet. However, the current state of phone access to this site, makes any attempt to converse useless.
The newest crossbow designs are truly impressive, but it is still just a horizontal bow, held by a mechanical release. the product has improved, but the physics remain the same. no different than the differences between black powder rifle and modern rifles. The product has improved, but the physics of what happens, remain unchanged.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
I am have no problem with folks wanting to bow hunt. Its just not my thing.

I do think the seasons(OTC tags, rut, dates, length, areas) are very slanted towards bow hunting.

Bow hunting, in my opinion, is a choice. I just dont like that fact that I dont get the same opportunities because I chose not to bow hunt.

You can't have all the same opportunities or there would be no game left. If you want the same dates, length, areas, you will never get otc tags and would have to enjoy your hunt every 15 years. There are more rifle hunters than archery. Shooting a rifle is easier with much greater distance. See a bull on the next hillside, range, get in position, set, and fire. Not the case with bows.

And sometimes the muzzle guys get better seasons than archers, other times we're hunting at exactly the same time. Why not go that route?

Would I enjoy taking my rifle after a bull late September? You bet! But it's not going to happen, nor should it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

kill 10 wild adult whitetails with a compound bow , no baiting on public land then get back to me. I have killed deer with recurves and compounds both can be difficult to kill a adult deer add cold weather " below zero" and most rifle hunters would not do it.

Yeah you better know who you're talking to, I've bowhunted since 1982 and have bowhunted in 9 states taking whitetail, mulies, antelope, elk, bear, turkey, mountain goat, in that time. Will go moose hunting in WY next year...I hunted compounds until the mid 90s, then went exclusively to recurves and am now using both.

Compounds aren't really bows, that's just my opinion. I like them though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've shot a couple of elk in the neck, one went about 5 or 10 feet and the other was DRT.
That tends to happen when a 30-06 is used.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The arrows are gonna start flying now...Watching through my fingers.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Just cause you don't wanta invest practice time with a bow as much as before
And got an xbow now which ya can zero in a hour or less
And be out hunting that same day. Doesn't mean your great
Historical snapshot means much.

It was a line from the waterboy movie
Used in jest...
And you got upset........

It's boils down to the discipline of the bow
Versus the easy convienance of the xbow......
X bows need their own limited season
And not share the woods with archers who put time into practice to aquire
the skill......
Guaranteed if xbow had it own limited season outside of archery
Sales of them would plummet and sales of archery permits would drop also back to pre xbow levels
And xbow permit sales would not even come close to making up the current combined season number
if they had their own season.
Some states have the sense to not allow em
Some states have the sense for their own season for em
Some states have archery and xbow combined
Some states have any weapon all season

All driven in ways by license and permit sales and ease of use wpns
for harvest.

Prior to the xbow revenue scheme
Only people with a docs note could hunt with em in this state........

Now cleatus gets himself a xbow , a bag of corn
Zero,s xbow that midday puts out his corn that evening on land in city limits And telechecks
It in late the next day.

Cleatus weighs 350 is 63 yrs old
Never shot a bow in his life
But now he is out "archery " hunting......

Multiply that statewide in all age groups

All about ease of harvest
For permit sales.....

90% of bow hunters I talk too around here despise xbow hunters
and that is a fact......
areas include
Fort campbell Kentucky
Numerous Twra wma,s
State Forrest tracts
Army corps of engineer tracts
And private land owners

Next!!!!!!

Last edited by renegade50; 03/18/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Used in jest...

the skill......
Sales of them would plummet and sales of archery permits would drop also back to pre xbow levels
And xbow permit sales would not even come close to making up the current combined season number

for harvest.

and that is a fact......
areas include
Fort campbell Kentucky
Numerous Twra wma,s
State Forrest tracts
And private land owners

Next!!!!!!

I never said I was upset, now did I? And when you can take a 4 point buck from a pit blind with a bent sapling, a bootlace, and pocket knife at 7 yards, (as I have smile ) we can discuss skill levels. smile

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Used in jest...

the skill......

for harvest.

and that is a fact......
areas include
Fort campbell Kentucky
Numerous Twra wma,s
State Forrest tracts
And private land owners

Next!!!!!!

I never said I was upset, now did I? And when you can take a 4 point buck from a pit blind with a bent sapling, a bootlace, and pocket knife at 7 yards, (as I have smile ) we can discuss skill levels. smile

Insert applause smiley ......
True or not......
Pics or it never happened...
What season was that In????
Do I need to get my boots on for the detail,s ????

Last edited by renegade50; 03/18/18.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
630 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,859 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.