Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
PoconoJack and I ventured to the big city in search of all things Savage, but got side tracked by, well, all things not Savage.

1000 dealer tables full of the most unimaginable temptations known to man.

There were a lot of 1899/99's to be seen from run-of-the-mill EG .300's in so-so condition (generally in the $450 price range) up to and including Joe Salter's MHG for $12K+. The ones in my price range either had condition issues ( 99G 20" 30-30 for $700, but with a pitted bore and much rust at the carry point under the receiver) or didn't suit my mood. There was an 1899B .32-40 carried around by an onlooker, for $1500, pretty fair condition, that got my heart pumping until I looked through the bore.

Ted found a Winchester M54 in .30-30, like mine only better, for an "optimistic" price which he adroitly haggled down to a manageable level- but he then had to lug it around the rest of the time, in a truly thick crowd. I found one of the items I was on the hunt for- a pristine 6X Unertl target scope- for about 2/3 the going ebay rate. Ted's pockets were also stuffed with swag such as saddle rings, and Parker butt plates and grip caps. New friends were made, and old friends were met, all in the setting of one of the biggest and oldest gun shows in the Universe (of antique guns).

As we were leaving Ted asked if I would hold his gun for a minute, and then stole my image with his Secret Squirrel Spy Camera (which I think he got in a box of Count Chocula cereal):

[Linked Image]

Afterward, Maryland lump crab cakes were called for, and consumed while regaling each other with tales of gun dealing prowess. All in all, a day very well spent.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 03/17/18.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sounds like a fun day!

Brian

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I remember going to a gun show in Baltimore when I was in APG back in 1987, saw some really amazing guns.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gary,

I went with you to that show in either 2007 or 2008. I think it was 2007. Good times.

Jeff

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd keep a sharp eye on your partner in crime. When it comes to cool guns and cool old gun stuff especially of the likes of Feckers, "Targetspots", and Unertles no man is to be trusted. He may try using the photo as evidence of the Unertl being swiped from the 54! But in all seriousness it sounds like it was a successful hunt for you both.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Great minds think alike Gary, wife and I hit a show today as well in Eugene Oregon. Might as well add that to the thread if you don't mind.

Savage 23D 22 Hornet in better than average shape $400 ish, don't remember for sure. I do remember it had a one piece base spanning the opening and a small diameter vintage scope.

A mint Stevens SxS 20 gauge with that gawd awful ugly wood on it, serial # beginning with E, so later, what 1980's? What I liked about it was the short short barrels, about 23". Would have been handy in the brush for grouse and only $325 for a mint SxS 20. If I wasn't ok for scatterguns that would have come home with me.

About a dozen Savage lever guns in various states of Bubba-ization and wear from $400 up. Only good one came home with me, and most wouldn't be interested, but I was missing this one. A 1968 99C in .284 in 99% shape with an extra .284 magazine for $800. Stamped checkering but hey, it's a .284 that's 50 years old and looks almost new. The metal does but the wood was refinished.

Saw a 50's/60's cut checkered Savage SxS 12 gauge for $750. Not much interest at that price! A few used up model 24's but one good 22 mag/20 gauge with the silver receiver, is that a DL model? I forget. $450. I think that was a fair buy. A couple custom 99's including one heavily engraved one very nice workmanship, but lacked taste. Old style rifle, modern Williams sights, that sort of thing. Too bad, it was some very nice engraving.

Made some great deals on 7mag Redding dies and components I needed, lots of goodies all for $40. Also needed and found both front and rear sights for a remington 600 in .222 and only $15. Felt really good about that find.

Was looking for 22HP dies, 38-55 dies and a couple three loose rounds for testing the feeding in a rifle I'm rebarreling to 38-55. No luck with any of that.

Ended up reacquainting myself with two Savage collectors I'd met in Reno that live in Oregon and am looking forward to playing show and tell with them when time allows.

I saw some nice specimens of other types but nothing I'm interested in. It seems like the Winchester lever guns that have always been so collectible have pretty well flattened off. There's so darn many of those things out there.

Had to hit the Hobby Lobby craft store for the wife and of course the Cabelas gun library, no love there.

Last edited by Fireball2; 03/18/18.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

One in the hand is better than two in the bush

Graham
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Sounds like both shows were pretty good,each of you got some goodies and had a good day out. I didn't see any snow in Baltimore,got plenty of it here !!!! crazy crazywinter wont go away.i may have to go outto the vault and spend some happy time ! grin

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Good stories!! Gary You look like a leprechaun with pot-o-gold, ...but I always imagined the end of the rainbow differently.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yup sounds like a good time! theres a big show next weekend, up here planning to go, and run into RAS there! same weekend another crappy show in town might hit that one on Sunday! but lack of funds will keep the good ones out of my reach!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B3

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
If you ever get the chance to attend the Baltimore Antique Gun Show, by all means do. The only thing you won't see there are post-1898 pistols and regulated firearms (AR's, AK's, etc.), tables piled high with modern military/tactical surplus, and jerky/candles/candy. Just a lot of the good stuff we all are interested in. It's one of those shows that attracts the elite of the gun business. Every year mid-March. Plan your trip back East around it. (The crab cake lunch afterwards should be enough incentive for anybody!)

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I've been wanting to get back to the Smithsonian for years and maybe next year would be a good time to scratch two itches.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kiwi

I don't know how that would work out for the seller being in NZ and shipping!

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I reccomend the RCBS cowboy dies.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If that is NZ$ you take it times about .72.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
RCBS is generally pretty good stuff and their customer service used to be stellar. I hope the latter hasn't changed.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RCBS doesn't list the 38-55 dies now.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Look on ebay. There's eight sets of dies on there right now, including two sets of RCBS. C'mon guys....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
i'm trying to get that first set on eBay, rcbs.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't seem to have the time to plow through Ebay and Gunbroker anymore. Will check it out.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

218 members (30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 34 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,633
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.