Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone share there "special" recipe for cooking a corned beef brisket?

Some guys put it in a crock pot. Sounds pretty simple, IF it turns out OK.

Got the brisket, and cabbage. Just need to decide how to fix it.

Thanks! Virgil B.

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
has your brisket been cured?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I soak the corned beef in water to cut the salt down. I apply a generous amount of pickling spices, then smoke at 250 for 4-5 hours. I then let it rest a bit, cut into cubes and add that to coarsely chopped cabbage in a pressure cooker with some fruit juice for steam and sweet. Crazy how easy and good that turns out. The meat is fork tender. i'll be doing that tomorrow for Sunday supper.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I cooked one in the InstaPot ( digital pressure cooker) with meat on raised rack, took 90 minutes. Then removed Brisket and cooked cabbage, potatoes, carrots and onions in the broth for 6 minutes. Meat was a little salty so diluted broth and steamed for 3 more minutes.

Next time I will pre soak corned beef in water before I cook it, like I do hams.

Meat was firmer and better texture than in crock pot in broth.

Was great, had hash for breakfast, and a Ruben for lunch.

Last edited by kk alaska; 03/17/18.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We normally do not soak, and it's good.
Yesterday's was SALTY. not sure why.
Will probably soak them in the future.

This is store bought corned beef,
homemade is less salty.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My brisket is sealed in a "packet" and cured.

Will soak it in water to take some of the salt out.

Will be cooking it in a few days.

Bought some fillet Mignon the same day I bought the brisket,

Gotta eat them up fist, while they are fresh.

Thanks for the replies! Got some good ideas now.

Virgil B.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
here`s my easy recipe: just buy a pre bagged and seasoned cornbeef packet.plan on a 8 hr. cooking, first take the cornbeef roast out of the sealed bag ,throw that seasoning packet away " its awful on meat" then wash all seasoning off meat quickly put in a big roaster with a temperture control on it " church cooker we call them" add around 2 inches of water in roaster set rack in, put cornbeef roast on rack in cooker,now ad washed bigger carrots trimmed and left whole,next washed smalled red potatoes do not cut them leave skin on. set roaster on 200 degrees ,cover and cooked then after 2 hours add green cabbage big leaves pull apart add untop of the meat and vegetables ,rotate cabbage so all gets cooked always keep it covered ,I like it about 3/4`s done the cabbage add a little salt to cabbage. it takes about 6 hours more after cabbage is added.set meat on cutting board for 5 minutes then slice. simple and tasty

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
New England Boiled Dinner: Corned Beef Brisket, peeled onion and cloves of garlic to taste in large pot. I like the seasoning pack. Boil for 2 hours on simmer after brought to boiling. After 2 hours add potatoes and carrots. At 2:45 add cabbage cut into 4 quarters. Uncover and fish everything out of the water and eat.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What is the difference between flat cut and point cut corned beef? What do you like better?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Flat is leaner, point has more fat. Point will be cheaper per pound, but the amount of fat might make flat equal or better in "MEAT per pound" price. I like both; flat makes much nicer slices for sandwiches.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like flats the best because as 5sdad said they are actually meatier. I did this one today and it is a flat although it looks like a point.
Smoked for 6 hours at 250, with ton of pickling spice. Kinda slipped with the spice so more than I liked went on. We went to a late lunch today, so this will go in the pressure cooker with cabbage and carrot and probably a potato or two tomorrow. That's a serving fork in the pic, the meat was 4 pounds before smoking.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My boss cooked one on the Treager with cabbage for lunch last Friday. Different for sure, not traditional but pretty good as long as you're not expecting the usual boiled flavor. Cabbage was slightly charred, I think I like it boiled w/yellow sauce better.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bobmn
New England Boiled Dinner: Corned Beef Brisket, peeled onion and cloves of garlic to taste in large pot. I like the seasoning pack. Boil for 2 hours on simmer after brought to boiling. After 2 hours add potatoes and carrots. At 2:45 add cabbage cut into 4 quarters. Uncover and fish everything out of the water and eat.

Yup. No need to pre-rinse or soak any salt out, you want some salt in the broth to season the veggies. Sometimes I'll add some mustard seeds to the pot.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Originally Posted by bobmn

Yup. No need to pre-rinse or soak any salt out, you want some salt in the broth to season the veggies. Sometimes I'll add some mustard seeds to the pot.

this is exactly the way we've always done it, and we live way down south, way below nashville. we let the cabbage simmer about 15minues to soften and leave a bit of crunch. others cook the cabbage a bit longer, usually mature flat-head Dutch.

we eat it w/baked cornbread, with no flour and no sugar.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Crockpot, onion, head of cabbage, baby carrots and a bottle of good stout, let er cook all day

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just simmer mine in water with the seasoning packet for a couple/few hours. I do the veg afterwords in a separate pot with the liquor from the brisket. About half and half with water.

Always comes out pretty damn good. Adding beer sure wouldn't suck.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I smoked a couple the wife mistakenly bought. Smoked them like a regular brisket. They turned out very nice. Should have rinsed them a bit better as between the rub and cure they were a bit salty. Made for some killer sandwiches.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Basically pastrami, right?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (44mc, 257 roberts, 35, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 14 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 825 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,699
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.