Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Gonna need one that shoots uncooked rice grains for better bc

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ChetAF
This thread is a good test to see who actually reads the original post.

+1 I just gonna to haf to get one of them for the summer camping season and a box of "ammo".

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
That would be the creedmore, magnum, Ackley improved version that shoots the VLD rice grains

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Obviously the posts here have again overlooked what happens in most homes from the Ozarks to Montana. Few people would waste salt on a bug and just shoot them with the gun close by.

They taste better pre salted.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
So, I'm getting the impression that it might not be ideal for dangerous game; like the black hornet, for instance. I might try one anyway and just refrain from shooting at anything that is likely to charge.
By the way, there must be some members here who have taken part in fly shoots using BR rifles (usually Light Varmint class). The target was a silhouette of a fly at 100 yards and rules varied with some clubs awarding maximum points for head shots while others gave maxpoints for completely severing the fly's body. I used a 6x47 in the first instance and a 308 in the second. A variation on this was live varmint shooting wherein flies were baited onto a blank sheet of paper (syrup worked fine). In season, grasshoppers were and easy target to shoot but tougher hunting since they were not so easily baited. Predators were represented by yellowjackets and, on occasion, the aforementioned black hornet. GD.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

I recall back in 4th grade, I had a tiny, plastic replica of a Thompson. It was white and black with an orange cocking mechanism. Its ammunition was a grain of uncooked rice. Accuracy was not a part of the equation, but it was fun to shoot anyway.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Been a contrary sort in this field and though I recognize the popularity and utility of the bug-a-salt I chose instead a caplock muzzle loading .45 pistol. With 5 gr of 3f and a teaspoon of rice it's good on lizard size pests or smaller out to 10-12'. It also makes the house smell better.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Been a contrary sort in this field and though I recognize the popularity and utility of the bug-a-salt I chose instead a caplock muzzle loading .45 pistol. With 5 gr of 3f and a teaspoon of rice it's good on lizard size pests or smaller out to 10-12'. It also makes the house smell better.

Hmmm. I haven't used my .50 cal plains pistol in a few years; maybe a good excuse to get it out again.

That bug-a-salt gun is a lot of fun. I got one last summer and quickly realized it benefits from an improvement - a drop of super glue to bond the safety in the fire position prevents it from engaging every pump. This is helpful for rapid fire when being swarmed by flies from the trash heap.

Another thing I quickly realized was that it's effective on the little fruit flies sitting on the bananas, and the bananas look fine at first, but the wife will find a shotgun pattern of little brown spots on them in a few hours. Apparently that's a no-no for some reason; now I must abide by fair chase rules, allowing the fruit flies to lift off from the bananas and fly around before shooting them.

On a serious note though for anyone else using these in the house or garage - obviously salt corrosion is a problem with spraying table salt everywhere, especially in humid environments. Make sure to clean the salt up or at least blow it off of tools, window panes, and anything else that could corrode.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That would be one of my objections to bug-a-salt. Sand might be an alternative. Rice doesn't corrode and is biodegradable. Mebbe use wildflower seeds and turn liberal dips into ardent supporters of the 2nd?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That would be one of my objections to bug-a-salt. Sand might be an alternative. Rice doesn't corrode and is biodegradable. Mebbe use wildflower seeds and turn liberal dips into ardent supporters of the 2nd?
While rice might be the "bees knees" if might have to be copper plated to prevent "ricing up" the barrel...Also since most targets are found in and around sources of light (windows) the use of sand could damage the glass.....not a good idea....but the wildflower seeds (where does one get them?) is a great thought.....

Now where's that applause emoticon when one needs it?

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That would have been fun to shoot flies back when I had bird dogs!!

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by vapodog
While rice might be the "bees knees" if might have to be copper plated to prevent "ricing up" the barrel...Also since most targets are found in and around sources of light (windows) the use of sand could damage the glass.....not a good idea....but the wildflower seeds (where does one get them?) is a great thought.....

Now where's that applause emoticon when one needs it?

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Wondering how cat litter would do, outside of course. Particles smaller than rice, larger than table salt. Probably smaller than rock salt.

Kinda like #8 shot vs heavier shot up to buckshot.

DF

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My brother in law sent me a Bug-a-Salt. It works great out to about 3 feet. After wasting a bunch of flys I took it out side to try it on something bigger. I was disappointed that it would not bring down a wasp. I hit a big buck wasp 3 times at point blank range and it would not stay down. Oh well back to the 45 auto.

I would really like to put a butt stock on it. A Bump Fire stock would be even more fun.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by szihn
Statistically the most popular gun ever made in history is the AK 47.
The second most popular ever made is the Mosin Nagant. Both Russian designs. Both made and/or assembled in factories in some 50 different countries.

But we need to define "Popular".
Does that mean the one made in greatest numbers and most used, (as above) or the ones made in the greatest numbers and sold to individual citizens? If a "government purchase" is the measuring stick, the Russian guns trump everything else. In fact the AKs probably trump the top 20 civilian sales combined world wide. (counts vary, but numbers of Kalashnikov made to date is somewhere around 127,000,000 or more)
Mosin Nagants have been made at around 90,000,000 to 113,000,000 according to U.N sources. Not that the UN is trust-worthy, but I think the point is made. The low number is still 12X more guns than all the Winchesters M-94s ever made.

If we look at for example a M-94 Winchester we can come up with about 7.5 Million. But the largest majority of them were bought by individuates, so that can be said to be VERY popular, but ALL of them were made by Winchester, and they were all sold in 117 years.

Look at the AR-15 which leads the rifle sales in the USA today, and it's been made by a few dozen companies in the USA and over seas too, and sales of ARs today are so far in front of M94s that it's not even a contest, but have 7.5 Million been sold?
No!
Why?
Because they have become wildly popular only in the last 15 to 20 years.
The M-94 has a bit of a head start, don't ya think?

So...how do we answer the question?

"Popular" needs to be defined first or we really can't answer it.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
we used to load shotgun shells with salt used it on animals to keep them away from our farm.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (1minute, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,102 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.