Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Looking for knife sharpening suggestions for hunting and EDC carry knives, also edge angle suggestions.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
A red DMT sharpener for when one gets really bad and a Dexter Russel Steel,and green compound loaded strop is about all anyone needs.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My knives aren't too fancy. Ontario, Becker, ESEE, Mora...1095, 5160, and some common stainless stuff.

I use simple whetstones. A coarse one, and a couple fine ones for touch up. I don't get scientific on the angles. I was taught to use a whetstone when I was about 5 or 6. I just eyeball it.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
For Scandi grind knives, I use Japanese water stones. For the Convex ones it's strops, and for the rest, the EdgePro Apex gives me the best results. There are many different steels among my knives. Carbon steel, stainless steels and a bunch of the modern ones.

Sam......

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
The type of abrasive you select must be capable of cutting the steel in the knife you are using it on, so we sorta need to know what kind of knife steel you are working with. Diamond will cut anything so RH Clark's recommendation is a pretty good blanket suggestion. The different types of abrasives/stones have advantages and disadvantages just like most things, but if they can cut the steel you are working with they all work.

I prefer free hand sharpening over mechanical systems because of speed, simplicity, and portability....that is more important to me than the aesthetics of a perfect bevel angle.....especially on EDC type stuff.

Edge angle....IMO, go as low as you can until its starts rolling or chipping on you.

Personally, I use a lot of simple carbon steel and Buck 420 level stuff. I use a $7 silicon carbide stone from Home Depot to start with on a really dull beat up edge and then finish on a Soft Arkansas. Sometimes I will then go on to a hard translucent Arkansas if I want a really polished edge. That is my coarse-medium-fine "system" based on the kind of knives I have and they are very easy to maintain with it.

I don't need to sharpen anything "in the field" but if you do, I would grab a red or green DMT and take it in my pack, tackle box, whatever. They make a fold up model but I would probably just get the 6 inch "stone". Its just a thin strip of diamond coated metal mounted on a piece of plastic.....weighs almost nothing.

Last edited by RJY66; 03/18/18.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

IC B2

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Most of my knives are D-2 or S30V. I have a lansky that gets them sharp but not Real Sharp.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the touch-up on a blade that isn't too far gone; Spyderco Sharpmaker. The Sharpmaker takes care of most sharpening duties for me, but when things need more of a re-shape, I go with the Edge-Pro.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stones for small pocket knives.....mouse pad with sandpaper and strops for convex grind (which BTW is my favorite grind)..... Edge Pro Apex for large hunting and kitchen knives.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lonny
For the touch-up on a blade that isn't too far gone; Spyderco Sharpmaker. The Sharpmaker takes care of most sharpening duties for me, but when things need more of a re-shape, I go with the Edge-Pro.

Yep...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use the Sharpmaker and bought the extra sharpening rods. I use it with d2, s30v, and s35vn without problems. It's best to not let them get really dull. It works great for normal use. I'm sure there are better systems but the Sharpmaker is pretty to use.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
I use the Sharpmaker and bought the extra sharpening rods. I use it with d2, s30v, and s35vn without problems. It's best to not let them get really dull. It works great for normal use. I'm sure there are better systems but the Sharpmaker is pretty to use.

^^^This^^^

The Spyderco Sharpmaker does everything I need to sharpen my knives. It’s easy to use, keeps the angle perfectly, and makes my knife razor sharp in no time. Also great for a quick touch up. I don’t like to let my knives get dull.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Picked up the new Wicked Edge Go and really like the quality and ease of use!

F
Frm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I second the Wicked Edge!

"We've had enough of exhortations to be silent! Cry out with a hundred thousand tongues! I see that the world is rotten because of silence!"
St. Catherine of Sienna

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,644
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.