Print Thread
Hop To
G
grayfox Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Immunizations,,,,,, This being my first time hunting in South Africa I’m trying to get all the information I can. Does anyone get special immunizations for their trip to South Africa? I’m told is is not a malaria or yellow fever area how about typhoid ? Or hepatitis?

BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Check the recommendations on the CDC web site.
I got hepatitis and typhoid shots before I went. The hep shots are a series that take a few months to complete.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Tetanus and the Hep A/B were what I was told to get by the outfitter in Limpopo. As mentioned above, the hep vaccines are a series of vaccines. It turned out that I was the only one on the trip that got any vaccines. Better safe than sorry

Last edited by TxHunter80; 03/10/18.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Well some of RSA is in Malaria areas. If you are in an area with Water better safe then sorry. The Hep A/B are recommended. You most likely will not need yellow fever, buy it's good for life now, and its best to get before you turn 60. The older to get the greater the risk with that vaccine. Typhoid is a very painful shot. For RSA I would skip the typhoid.

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Try Safegard Travel Services at:

http://sgtravelmed.com

Register on their website and enter your immunization records and travel plans. For $50.00 they put together a comprehensive and well written Travel Recommendation packet, which includes CDC assessments of the countries on your itinerary. They also schedule you with a local pharmacy for the appropriate shots. My family has used this service several times, and it sure beats going to the county travel clinic.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by grayfox
Immunizations,,,,,, This being my first time hunting in South Africa I’m trying to get all the information I can. Does anyone get special immunizations for their trip to South Africa? I’m told is is not a malaria or yellow fever area how about typhoid ? Or hepatitis?

Please check with your travel doctor.

Take your yellow card and have it filled out. just in case you are asked about your immunization recored. I have been asked one time.

use the below to find a travel doctor near you.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/find-clinic/

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
You can get hepatitis here in the states, so why not get the vaccinations? Same for tetanus. One of the hepatitis vaccinations is a one time shot, the other is two shots a month apart, I think. Not sure if there is a vaccine for Hep C yet. As someone said, some of SA is malaria area, check that out. I'd get a meningitis vaccination also, and typhoid. I'm not saying you absolutely need any of these for SA but they won't hurt and might help. The first two times I went I didn't get anything and only caught tick fever.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I always get everything recommended by the CDC for the area I am going to. I also take along a prescription of Antibiotics for Diarrhea.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I always get everything recommended by the CDC for the area I am going to. I also take along a prescription of Antibiotics for Diarrhea.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
What antibiotic do you take??

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would get typhoid. Having had it very bad in Mexico, 2 1/2yrs after vaccination.

The new vaccines last longer and cover more strains.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's never a bad idea to have a ten day course of cipro with you.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Savuti
It's never a bad idea to have a ten day course of cipro with you.

And if you do not use it, leave it with the folks you hunt with. They will be very appreciative.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My youngest daughter went to Ghana for two months while in medical school. This was a humanitarian mission sponsored by the university. She spent 6 -8 months getting immunized. Some injects you need two or three times spaced 60 days apart.

You out to check it out now and not delay.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been to RSA twice....no immunizations are required but it's wise to have HEP A & B, tetanus, MMR vaccinations anyway.....as stated by many...the HEP shots are a series and may take uo to 90 days to take effect.....and another thing....start a year in advance as they can leave your arm somewhat sore.

If I was to go again I wouldn't get any shots.....enough is enough!

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never taken shots been SA 2x and Namibia 1x

Scott

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What antibiotic do you take?? Cipro (ciprofloxacin)

Last edited by Slider1; 03/18/18.
T
T
I've used my doctor and Safegard, the quickest and easiest was going to their website http://sgtravelmed.com/vaccinations/ and choosing a pharmacy. Was fast and professional and saved a trip to the doc!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The Hep shot you can take the second shot up to one year after the first, go beyond that, and you have to start over with the first again.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
92 members (10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 16penny, 15 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.