Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I am looking at a rifle that has this scope already mounted. I don't know anything about the Elite 4200 Firefly. What does the Firefly part of it mean? I didn't see a way to light up the reticle. How much do these scopes sell for and are they decent quality?

Dan

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They are very good quality scopes. However, the firefly reticle is too thick for my liking. The illumination is activated by shining a flashlight thru the scope for a few seconds. Then it glows. The 4200 is known for being a tough scope, plus it has a rainguard coating on the lenses.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The 4200 is obsolete but still a darn good scope. Currently Bushnell markets a version called the Elite 4500. You can check prices at any of the big dealers like Midway, but currently Bushnell has a rebate on certain models, giving you some bargaining power with the current owner.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
The FIREFLY RETICLE is designed to make the outer thicker part of the crosshairs GLOWby shining a flashlight through the eye piece for a minute or so. The very center of the crosshair however does not glow. It works just like the glow in the dark hands of a wrist watch. I have a couple of these scopes. I really don’t use the GLOW feature because the reticle is so dark and bold the glow in the dark feature is not needed. The illluminecent coating on the reticle keeps the reticle from reflecting any light so the reticle stays extremely black and bold. I notice that when I charge the reticle it actually makes the reticle too bright and distracting in low light. It says to charge reticle for like one minute but what I have done a few times is to just shine my light on the reticle for day 12 seconds to make it a full green. I only do this right before I start walking to tree stand through woods and just dark enough I can barely see. The crosshairs are just lit enough to see them for the time it takes me to get to my stand. The 4200 scope itself is a great scope and yes it is still made under the name ELITE 4500 and ELITE 3500 models with upgraded coatings but still the same scope.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
To me the 4200 series a good bit better than the 3200 series. I haven't handled the 4500.

4200 glass, IMO, is on a par with VX-3 or VX-3i glass. One draw back, short ER. VX-3's are better in that regard.

I have one 4200 with Firefly reticle and like it. I hardly ever charge it with a flashlight. I find it's not needed. I like the bold, three segmented reticle, maybe we should call it a triplex as compared to a duplex.

Good scopes. Sometimes you'll see a used 4200 at a good price. I don't have 4200's on big kickers, but they're fine with rounds that don't recoil a lot. The scope is tough enough, I'm just a bit cautious with their shorter ER. I've read where people had them on big guns without an issue. I'd guess that would depend on stock fit, how far back the gun recoils, how close to the scope the shooter's eye is located, if he's a stock crawler, etc.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
never had a firefly but I do have 7 4200 bushnells with rainguard. I love these scopes. most of mine are 4x16x40

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have had two of the firefly reticle 4200's and 6-7 other bushnell elites. No issues, great scopes for the money.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great scopes and a real sleeper IMO.

The firefly is cool, but as others stated it isn't needed due to thickness of reticle.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If the thickness of the reticle is an issue for you there are plenty of skinny ones available.
I think the Firefly is one of the better low light designs you can get. Even without the glow feature.

Here is a For Sale ad from the late RDFinn (RIP) who was a big fan of the Firefly.
He captured a good photo of it in his post.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...0x40-with-firefly-reticle-fs#Post7931317

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Japanese made Bushell.......!! good glass...........

hold a flash light in scope tube to make the X hairs glow.......

last about 30 min........don't be 'fraid of it !!!!!!!

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have a 3200 Firefly on my AR. My intent was to use it as a calling gun at night, but I really never have. I agree with what others have stated. The 4200 is a very good scope and I would buy all of them at a deal that I can. I still buy 3200's on a good price as well. The Firefly reticle is very thick, and I am not really a fan. Big fan of the 4200 and would take one with Firefly for sure.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a 1.5x6-36 on an H&R 444marlin , really like everything about the gun for hog hunting .

The firefly works great when long after it has been charged , when you look into the dark shadows late evening - heavy canopy - the reticle doesn't disappear it turns green/yellow . Big plus for heavy cover hunting .
When hunting at night put the crosshair on a blackish hog and you see the crosshair in the glow color -- again -- long after the charge . They are not meant to shine a light in the scope when you hear an animal approaching . When a deer walks into the darkest spot on a heavy overcast evening at last shooting minute - you'll be glad you have it .

Had a 3200 3x9-40 on a Marlin 22mag that I shot several coyotes/coons a bobcat thanks to that scope .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very good scopes. Bought one for a friend. Firefly reticle is either a clever, or poor mans, version of illuminated and as stated, lasts plenty long enough. Glass is very good and at the time if its introduction was heralded as the brightest on the market if memory serves. A bit heavy but tough. and rainguard is a nice ' real' feature'. Good, firm, repeatable click adjustments. Not heard of any problems with losing zero. If you can get one for a good price you should enjoy it very much.

Last edited by kenjs1; 03/20/18.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,066 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.