Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Heaviest is 9 1/4 # this one is 8lb's 13 oz's and lately been carried the most.....

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fugkin spectacular picture!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by LSU fan
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
9 lbs for me. I have found that I shoot this one very well, I like it better than a 6 lb lightweight.

[Linked Image]

Details?

LSU Fan, I’ll be back in Zachary (home for my first 34 years), in early April. Family, friend, and baseball! memtb

Good time of year, weather should still be nice. You probably won’t recognize Zachary. Planning on an LSU Baseball game?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
LSU fan, It is amazing how Zachary has changed during the last 30 years. We get down, at least once a year. My kids, grandkids, and a few great grandkids, are down there. Granddaughter was able to be on the Zachary Cheerleader Squad in the dome, for both of Zachary’s State Football Titles. I had to listen to the games via the internet.....would’ve liked to have been there to see that!
And maybe an LSU game, 3 grandsons are heavily involved in Zachary baseball! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
LSU, it’s a GA Precision 6.5 SAUM - the scenarshooter model...

Thanks

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Rigby is quite a bit heavier than most of the others, though several are heavy too, but they also are special purpose. My elk and deer rifles maximum weight ~ 7 lb. But I don't shoot game animals over 300 yards since I grew up.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Originally Posted by Judman

How long is the snout? 22"?

Pretty sure Scenar and Kimber7 spec’d 25” barrels

24". The Vias brake adds about 1".

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy that. Ever run one with a 22” snout?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

This one is 8.5lbs. Too heavy for some, just right for me. It has good balance and feel, and I have confidence in it...

That looks about perfect to me!

Is the rifle 8.5 pounds alone, or does that include the scope?

What stock did you use?

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Judman
Copy that. Ever run one with a 22” snout?

I haven't, but a few guys I know have 22's. You lose a little velocity, but not much.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ChetAF
[Linked Image]

This one is 8.5lbs. Too heavy for some, just right for me. It has good balance and feel, and I have confidence in it...

What stock did you use?

It's 8.5 with scope.

That's a Manners SL stock.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ChetAF
[Linked Image]

What stock did you use?

It's 8.5 with scope.

That's a Manners SL stock.

I really like the way that came together. Do you mind giving us the rest of the recipe for the Scenarshooter model?

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It's cataloged on GA Precision's website as the "Extreme Hunter".

George Gardner and I speced it out while we were on a grizzly hunt in Alaska in 2012, huddled under a tarp on open mountainside in a downpour...he brought out a prototype to hunt with in Montana that fall, and killed an elk and a mule deer with it. We put several hundred rounds through it shooting steel and rocks...it's been a great project.

He has serial # 1, I've got # 2. I believe they've made and sold several hundred of them since then. Good clean rifle. Mine is on it's second barrel. I put 3200+ through the first tube. It still shot great, but velocity dropped down to .260 speeds, so I sent it back for a replacement. Barrel # 2 has 1200 rounds through and still shoots fast, and tight.

This one is 8.5lbs. Too heavy for some, just right for me. It has good balance and feel, and I have confidence in it...[/quote]

What stock did you use?
[/quote]

It's 8.5 with scope.

That's a Manners SL stock.[/quote]

I really like the way that came together. Do you mind giving us the rest of the recipe for the Scenarshooter model?
[/quote]

[Linked Image]
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My perfect version of the "heaviest" is also based on Pat's/GAP's EH only a bit modified for my tastes.
Chet, if I remember right, your penchant for 70's might jive here a bit w/ my 6.5 4S (SAUM)

Weight: 8lb 11oz scoped
M70 SS Classic short action
Bartlein #3 fluted @ 23"
Bansner stock
PT&G bottom metal
Bushnell LRHS

Shoots nice clusters w/ 143 ELDX and H1000... trying some 130 VLDs this week. While a tad heavier than others I've had, it might be the best balanced.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by TDN; 03/19/18.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is very nice too! Thanks to both of you for posting the photos and specifications.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by memtb
LSU fan, It is amazing how Zachary has changed during the last 30 years. We get down, at least once a year. My kids, grandkids, and a few great grandkids, are down there. Granddaughter was able to be on the Zachary Cheerleader Squad in the dome, for both of Zachary’s State Football Titles. I had to listen to the games via the internet.....would’ve liked to have been there to see that!
And maybe an LSU game, 3 grandsons are heavily involved in Zachary baseball! memtb

Oops, misread and was thinking you said it was the first trip in 30 years. Enjoy your trip! I can still remember my grandfather traveling in from Florida just to watch me play football my senior year. Sounds like a great family.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks! Looking forward to getting “back home”, for a little while! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I am planning on packing my CTR 6.5 this spring and fall here in Idaho. With 5 rounds it will be about 11 pounds. This will be about 2-2.5 pounds heavier than any rifle I have ever carried, but hoping the stability and LR accuracy it provides will be worth it. I am also planning on dropping an extra 10 pounds over what I usually am just to help out - cant hurt...lol.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I don't worry about weight that much (within reason) I carry a Model 70 .300 wm with 8 cartridges in the shell holder on the stock, scope, rail, sling, and bi pod. Its a pain for the first few days then I get used to it, I am guessing about 10 lbs and change. I have never weighed it, but its not light

Last edited by Elkmen; 03/22/18.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Wby MkV UL 280 Remington - 7#
Wby MkV UL 7 Wby - 8#
Sako 85 Finnlight 308 Winchester - 7#
Sako 85 Finnlight 300 WSM - 7#
Remington 700 308 Winchester - 8#
Borden Alpine 300 WSM - 8#
Borden Timberline 280 AI - 7# (actually 6 lb 14 oz)
Encore 308 Winchester - 8#

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 10 invisible), 2,130 guests, and 764 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,401
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.