Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I found these cut-away pics of the .284 caliber 139 gr and 154 gr. The jacket on the 139 gr SST is noticeably thicker than the 154 gr and therefore should hold together better.

I know this thicker jacket is not that uncommon from bullet manufactures but in most cases there's a reason it is done, ie the 120 gr Nosler BT and steel silhouette shooting, but in this case I wonder why?

Attached Images
sst_boulet_2_4_1_1_1_1_1.jpg (32.43 KB, 156 downloads)
Last edited by Highoctane; 03/11/18.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've visited with Hornady several times over the last two years concerning the undesirable SST performance..They have redesigned more than several calibers with heavier jackets and the 139gr is one so they said..Been loading it for a deer hunting friend's 7x57 and my 280,, it behaves well in this velocity window.and should be OK even for the big 7.. I'm always amazed at how Bergers slide by the criticism since witnessing some of their destruction on game as well. whistle

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the SST bullet in general has been redesigned and the jacket was made thicker on them.The same thing was done to Nosler Ballistic Tips.Earlier versions had thinner jackets and were very explosive.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where's the InterLock, like is shown on their website?

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H

Not sure why the "interlock ring" is not there. Maybe I've been duped with the pics...LOL

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 7x57 thrives on the 154 gr Interlocks but doesn't do well with the SST...it may, just much slower due to the longer bullet.

270 WSM does well with 140 gr SST's.

Dan

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
I've visited with Hornady several times over the last two years concerning the undesirable SST performance..They have redesigned more than several calibers with heavier jackets and the 139gr is one so they said..Been loading it for a deer hunting friend's 7x57 and my 280,, it behaves well in this velocity window.and should be OK even for the big 7.. I'm always amazed at how Bergers slide by the criticism since witnessing some of their destruction on game as well. whistle

Any idea if the .338 200gn was redesigned? Years ago I played with them and the ‘lead’ acted like it turned to powder when hitting a target. Completey came apart. More recently I had one look respectable. Considering trying again. They do shoot well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

Any idea if the .338 200gn was redesigned? Years ago I played with them and the ‘lead’ acted like it turned to powder when hitting a target. Completey came apart. More recently I had one look respectable. Considering trying again. They do shoot well.

Can't help you with that bullet but from several conversations I think the redesign was on smaller diameters below 30 cal.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Speculation only but I think they hardened the lead alloy in some and others increased jacket thickness and some they did both. My guess is either the 154 was just enough slower it was Ok or it is not as popular as the 139 so has not gotten the treatment. Some I have sectioned had barely perceptible interlok rings. I thought it might be because of the way they were sectioned but didn't melt any to really check them out. It would be nice to know which ones were re-vamped and which are not as now I currently avoid all of them due to my initial experiences with them.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Tejano
Speculation only but I think they hardened the lead alloy in some and others increased jacket thickness and some they did both. My guess is either the 154 was just enough slower it was Ok or it is not as popular as the 139 so has not gotten the treatment. Some I have sectioned had barely perceptible interlok rings. I thought it might be because of the way they were sectioned but didn't melt any to really check them out. It would be nice to know which ones were re-vamped and which are not as now I currently avoid all of them due to my initial experiences with them.

I was having second thoughts about the SST's but I found a really good deal yestetday on the 7mm 154 gr SST.
17.50 per hundred. Bought all they had, which was 5 boxes. I think they will be fine. Im not planning on driving them at warp speed anyway.

Last edited by Highoctane; 03/14/18.

IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
FWIW, the tech rep stated the .338 200gn has not been modified.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
What about the 95 grain 6mm . Have been thinking about trying them on deer.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I believe they toughened up the 150 gr. 308 diameter bullet. Kills and exits most of the time.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by WPAHunter50
What about the 95 grain 6mm . Have been thinking about trying them on deer.

A close friend and his son have had good luck with them. Their starting velocity isn't too high, they're shooting the typical ~41 grains of H4350 and the barrel is 20" long.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rickt300
I believe they toughened up the 150 gr. 308 diameter bullet. Kills and exits most of the time.

Sure was a grenade on a deer I shot a few years ago. Same with the 180 SST .308 on a mule deer and bull elk. The SST's shoot awesome but are too explosive for me (30-06 velocities). I have gone back to Interlocks and have been happy with their performance and accuracy.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by centershot

Sure was a grenade on a deer I shot a few years ago. Same with the 180 SST .308 on a mule deer and bull elk. The SST's shoot awesome but are too explosive for me (30-06 velocities). I have gone back to Interlocks and have been happy with their performance and accuracy.

I have read where it was stated that the 180gr is perfect for the 308Win.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
IF they changed the jacket/core, then maybe I would consider them, if I got hard up for a bullet. My experience is with them dynamiting on small deer from a .308. I see no reason to use them. with better bullets available. If you are hunting, just use a standard IL. They are accurate and cheaper than the sst crap.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by centershot

I would suppose the SST is designed for long range shooting as are most boat tailed bullets. This would seem to indicate the bullet will expand at lower velocities and much faster at high impact speeds. So if I am hunting whitetails at normal ranges I load this style bullet down to 2700 fps or so and get good performance by avoiding hitting shoulders. I would not use the SST on elk as for that I prefer partitions but for open country mule deer I can't see a real issue with the lot of 150 gr. SST's I have. I am a huge fan of regular Interlocks, especially the 180 gr. 30 caliber version, but a more streamlined bullet will buck the wind better and holds energy farther out.

Last edited by rickt300; 03/20/18.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had no issues with it in my 303 (150gr) on deer. Punched right through and the exit hole was bigger than the entrance but every indication it expanded and held together.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Have seen wildly inconsistent results with SSTs, especially when started from faster cartridges. Too many good bullets exist to use these garbage bullets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (338reddog, 4xbear, 673, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 450yukon, 16 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 996 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,187
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.