Print Thread
Hop To
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Fall 2018 marks Wisconsin’s first managed elk hunt in history
2018 Wisconsin Elk Hunt
Years of hard work by key partners and DNR staff will give ten Wisconsin hunters the opportunity of a lifetime this fall...

The planned hunt is within the Clam Lake elk range of Sawyer, Bayfield, Ashland, and Price counties in far north-central Wisconsin. Original restoration efforts occurred within this range with the release of 25 elk from Michigan in 1995. This northern herd is projected to reach a population level of over 200 animals this year, including a high proportion of bulls. Check out this helpful Facebook Live session with DNR big game ecologist Kevin Wallenfang to learn more.

Ten tags will be made available for a bull-only hunt in Fall 2018. Four tags will be awarded to Wisconsin residents through a random drawing. One additional tag will be awarded to a Wisconsin resident through a raffle conducted by the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. Consistent with federal court rulings, the elk harvest quota is being shared equitably with the six Wisconsin Chippewa tribes.

Only Wisconsin residents are eligible to purchase an elk tag. The application fee is $10 and applications will be available starting May 1 through the Go WILD system at GoWild.wi.gov. Prior to receiving their carcass tag, all drawing winners will be required to complete an elk hunter education course prior to the start of the season.

The elk harvest quota for 2018 was determined by the department’s Elk Advisory Committee, which, in addition to DNR biologists and researchers, includes representation from Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation; Wisconsin Wildlife Federation; Jackson County Forest and Parks; Wisconsin Conservation Congress; U.S. Forest Service; Wisconsin Bowhunters Association; Great Lakes Indian Fish & Wildlife Commission; U.W. Stevens Point, and Ho-Chunk Nation.

Those interested in purchasing raffle tickets may do so at RMEF.org/Wisconsin.

Wisconsin’s inaugural elk hunting season will adhere to the following guidelines:

season will be open from October 13 to November 11, 2018 and December 13-21, 2018;

only bull elk may be harvested;

Areas where Kentucky elk were released between 2015-2017 will be off limits to hunting until the population increases to levels identified in the elk management plan;

only Wisconsin residents are eligible to receive a harvest tag; and

harvest tags may be transferred to a Wisconsin resident youth hunter 17 years or younger.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The WI Elk herd has a tough time with the predators, bear and wolves. I can’t see the numbers ever being that great with current conditions. That seems to be the main reason KY does so well, even MI without wolves in the Lower has a better go at it.

The Indian Tribes have thrown in with the wolf lover crowd for political reasons, no help from them.

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Sad part is Wi residents only get 4 tags.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sourdough44
The WI Elk herd has a tough time with the predators, bear and wolves. I can’t see the numbers ever being that great with current conditions. That seems to be the main reason KY does so well, even MI without wolves in the Lower has a better go at it.

The Indian Tribes have thrown in with the wolf lover crowd for political reasons, no help from them.

In addition to the aforementioned predators there is loss by the tick borne disease babesiosi and vehicle kills.

Last edited by roundoak; 03/14/18.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Chippewa Indian Tribes have shot two elk recently, one they recovered that dressed out at 182 pounds and they wounded another.

Interested to know if the permits given to the Tribes will require them to be paid the same as non-tribal members. This elk hunt will take place in ceded territory so why the need to obtain a permit when all they have to do is get a permit from the Voigt Intertribal Task Force?

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I lived half my life in WI. If elk were native to the state years, centuries, millennia ago, I never knew about it. Given that knowledge, I am very curious as to why the Chippewa get the majority of the tags? What Federal ruling requires this?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I lived half my life in WI. If elk were native to the state years, centuries, millennia ago, I never knew about it. Given that knowledge, I am very curious as to why the Chippewa get the majority of the tags? What Federal ruling requires this?

i guess its a liberal thing ? we all know why ? help the ones that won`t help themselves

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Chippewa tribes ceded their land in the northern one-third of Wisconsin to the United States government in the Treaties of 1837 and 1842, they reserved their off-reservation rights to hunt, fish, and gather within the Ceded Territory.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes and its still very wrong on the vote by the supreme court ruling decided by 5 liberal judges against the other 4 judges on this very old treaty ! the new president of America also still has the right to take this treaty away yet and many tax paying working American`s still hope the President does!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If the Chippewa get to hunt are they restricted to traditional native weapons from 1837 & 1842.? Seems reasonable to me.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seams reasonable, but no.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Hesp
If the Chippewa get to hunt are they restricted to traditional native weapons from 1837 & 1842.? Seems reasonable to me.

nope , they will be riding in a new 4x4 pickup,nice rifles,whiteman knives,shoes, clothes,glasses all givin to them by us with their federal lifetime checks ! sad but true

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm

They get half.

5 to WI residents - 4 through a drawing, one by raffle.

5 to the tribe.

Look up the Boldt decision. Dumbest thing our country ever did was enter into treaties with the tribes. They should all be rescinded.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
bump

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think the introduction of elk into MN and WI is a bad management decision. Two small herds in NW MN are struggling with wolves and farmers experiencing crop destruction. I consider them a novelty that takes away manpower and resources from whitetail deer management. So what will the competition for habitat result between these two species? Its all good now in WI with the first season pending. Let's see how this looks 5 and 10 years down the line.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Those treaties are supposed to have an end date, "until the land is settled". Wonder when that is?

Elk and deer coexist just fine. I hunt whitetails in elk country here in Michigan. There would have to be a heck of a lot more elk to affect the whitetail populations. As for management, Michigan has been doing both without a problem since 1918. I was for fortunate enough to draw a cow tag in '98. Fun hunt that I'll never forget. I guided for my buddy who drew a cow tag in '16. One of the best hunts of my life and I didn't even have a gun in my hand. We have about 800-1200 animals here that gives anywhere from 100-200 tags annually. It's a hunt of a lifetime. Hopefully your herd will do the same.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 66 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,584
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.